OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: They Blamed Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Who built the team? Chose the QB? Called the D? Chose the strategy on O? Who coached this team to losses vs two 2-10 teams that put them in the position of going to Buffalo? Name that coach.
Austin coaches the defense and Faulkner and Suilvan coach the offense
I thought khan was the oc and it’s pretty obvious Art wanted KP. Tomlin couldn’t fire canada or bench KP without Arts blessing

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I’m just curious what type of OC is going to want to hitch their wagon to this QB situation.
Depending how Tomlin’s extension goes, I wouldn’t be shocked if Mike McCarthy got hired as OC and if he does a good job gets promoted to HC. Similar situation as Eric Bieniemy.

I’m not super pumped on that scenario, but I think it’s definitely possible.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Depending how Tomlin’s extension goes, I wouldn’t be shocked if Mike McCarthy got hired as OC and if he does a good job gets promoted to HC. Similar situation as Eric Bieniemy.

Honest question, has a Super Bowl winning head coach ever gone back to being a coordinator?

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Austin coaches the defense and Faulkner and Suilvan coach the offense
I thought khan was the oc and it’s pretty obvious Art wanted KP. Tomlin couldn’t fire canada or bench KP without Arts blessing

It's been widely reported Tomlin has taken over the defense (you know this to be true, I don't need to provide you with links)
It's also true that Tomlin's philosophy is all over this offense.

But keep on defending the 2nd coming of Marty Schottenheimer

Marty Schottenheimer
2 losing seasons in 21, started with 14 straight non-losing seasons
reg season win pct .613
playoffs .278
Difference of -.335
playoff wins per season 5/21
with a stud QB: .629 (100-59); ..333 (2-4 )

vs

Mike Tomlin
no losing seasons in 17
.633 reg season
.444 playoffs
difference of -.189
playoff wins per season: 8/17
with a stud QB: .649 (146-79); .471 (8-9)

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

McCarthy wouldn’t surprise me at all. He checks all the boxes for a Steelers assistant. Western PA ties, experienced, and probably isn’t a risk to get poached for a HC job for a while.

I could see Bieniemy too although not sure I would want him tbh. He’s apparently a hardass which I think this team could actually use but his year in Washington wasn’t all that inspiring.

Reactions: T1K

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
McCarthy wouldn’t surprise me at all. He checks all the boxes for a Steelers assistant. Western PA ties, experienced, and probably isn’t a risk to get poached for a HC job for a while.

I could see Bieniemy too although not sure I would want him tbh. He’s apparently a hardass which I think this team could actually use but his year in Washington wasn’t all that inspiring.

It's funny that the coach who beat Tomlin's ass over 10 years ago in the SB gets put on the hotseat but everyone wants to simp for Tomlin

Reactions: T1K

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
How teams come out of the gates...especially in the playoffs.....is a direct indication of coaching preparation, game plan, scheme, creating mismatches, taking advantage of weaknesses, element of suprise, crisp play, execution, play calling, timing, tone, edge, passion,,,,,,, etc. Etc.

The Steelers have stated their last 5 playoff games in holes real fast.

That's 115 -7 in last 5 playoff games....

Historically bad.
Unmatched.
Will NEVER be repeated.

Down 10-0 to Pats in 2016
Down 21-0 to Jags in 2017
Down 28-0 to Browns in 2020
Down 35-7 to Chiefs in 2021
Down 21-0 to Bills in 2023.

115-7.....
And the 7 points.... was a TJ defensive touchdown

Thanks for doing that… was wondering how exactly those blowout scores shook out early on.

Absolutely mind boggling stuff.

Yeah he definitely needs a real oc so he can be the ceo of the team thst oc would handle the day to day stuff with the younger player. D

Nah man, he needs to move along.

It’s been over a dozen years of futility that would have seen other coaches get fired 2-3x over.

He can’t be trusted to hire a good OC.

He can’t be trusted period.

He’s f***ed up a once proud franchise to the point people have to say we are lucky not to be Browns and Jets fans.

Tired of dancing around reality while others pretend Tomlin wouldn’t be fired in any other NFL city.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Honest question, has a Super Bowl winning head coach ever gone back to being a coordinator

Gary Kubiak is the only guy I could find. But it was a special case, he joined the Vikings as an assistant head coach and then became the OC after they fired their OC.

So I think the general answer is no.

And I find it very hard to believe that McCarthy would become an OC under Tomlin or another coach to be honest. I believe with all the openings that he will get another gig or take a year off. I could see him signing in Carolina due to nobody else wanting that job.

Last edited:
Reactions: pistolpete11

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
How teams come out of the gates...especially in the playoffs.....is a direct indication of coaching preparation, game plan, scheme, creating mismatches, taking advantage of weaknesses, element of suprise, crisp play, execution, play calling, timing, tone, edge, passion,,,,,,, etc. Etc.

The Steelers have stated their last 5 playoff games in holes real fast.

That's 115 -7 in last 5 playoff games....

Historically bad.
Unmatched.
Will NEVER be repeated.

Down 10-0 to Pats in 2016
Down 21-0 to Jags in 2017
Down 28-0 to Browns in 2020
Down 35-7 to Chiefs in 2021
Down 21-0 to Bills in 2023.

115-7.....
And the 7 points.... was a TJ defensive touchdown
Tomlin is arrogant with his ignorance regarding losing the first quarter. He had the most ridiculous quote regarding that recently that should have had him fired the minute he shared his ignorance.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Tomlin is arrogant with his ignorance regarding losing the first quarter. He had the most ridiculous quote regarding that recently that should have had him fired the minute he shared his ignorance.

I think they game planned for a game in the snow and not the conditions they eventually got.

I mean no real deep shots and even when trailing they forced the run game makes me believe this

Now I get it Buffalo is good against the pass and somewhat vulnerable to the run, but their secondary was depleted with injuries and we never tried to do anything to test it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad