Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
STEELERS-FAN.gif

rooneyugh.gif

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Isaiah Green waived to make room for Levi Brown.

It doesn't look like they traded a player to Arizona to clear any salary. It probably means they're going to have to restructure a contract to fit Brown in. I'd imagine they'd just restructure Brown's contract. That seems the easiest. I know people complain about the restructures but I've always had a hard time getting fired up about it. This team could have loads of cap room and wouldn't go out overspending to land UFA's anyway. It's just not their way and they generally seem to fit in the guys they want to keep.

Brown is a little bit of an upgrade over Adams.

Adams was ranked 69th out of 72 tackles in the NFL, according to Pro Football Focus. He allowed four sacks, six hits on Roethlisberger and 13 quarterback hurries.

Brown also allowed four sacks in the first four games, six hits on the quarterback and eight hurries. Pro Football Focus rates Brown as the 60th tackle in their rankings.
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...uire-levi-brown-in-trade-from-arizona-705810/

Brown really struggles with speed in the clips that I've watched of him. All of his 4 sacks allowed this year were by speed rushes. He's a pretty good run blocker according to most. That could be helpful. The Steelers need to get their running game going and they haven't had a good run blocking LT in a long while. Run blocking wasn't exactly Max Stark's strength despite some serviceable years.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I like the trade for the Steelers, I thought Adams looked better at RT last season. Maybe a change of scenery will help Brown.

Totally agree about Adams. RT may be where he best fits in the NFL. He looked good there last year before he got hurt. Pretty sure that's his natural position too.

Hoping like you that a change of scenery helps Brown. It doesn't look like Brown's contract will hurt the Steelers that much even if things don't work out. Worth a shot.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Isaiah Green waived to make room for Levi Brown.

It doesn't look like they traded a player to Arizona to clear any salary. It probably means they're going to have to restructure a contract to fit Brown in. I'd imagine they'd just restructure Brown's contract. That seems the easiest. I know people complain about the restructures but I've always had a hard time getting fired up about it. This team could have loads of cap room and wouldn't go out overspending to land UFA's anyway. It's just not their way and they generally seem to fit in the guys they want to keep.

Brown is a little bit of an upgrade over Adams.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...uire-levi-brown-in-trade-from-arizona-705810/

Brown really struggles with speed in the clips that I've watched of him. All of his 4 sacks allowed this year were by speed rushes. He's a pretty good run blocker according to most. That could be helpful. The Steelers need to get their running game going and they haven't had a good run blocking LT in a long while. Run blocking wasn't exactly Max Stark's strength despite some serviceable years.

Brown is a really solid run blocker. He just really hasn't been very good though. I personally envision him more as a RT. I also always thought that maybe a move inside would help him much like it helped Leonard Davis.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Brown is a really solid run blocker. He just really hasn't been very good though. I personally envision him more as a RT. I also always thought that maybe a move inside would help him much like it helped Leonard Davis.
Yeah, I've heard those sentiments from others as well.

Turns out the Cards ate a lot of his salary so the Steelers won't have to restructure any more contracts to squeeze him in.

Jason La Canfora ✔ @JasonLaCanfora

And PIT gets Levi Brown at $840K (vet min), while the Cards pay $2.8M of the remainder of his $$ due in '13.

Steelers have nothing to lose on this one. Worth a shot.

skullman80

Nov 18, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
Levi Brown sucks. There is no way to sugar coat it. The O-line sucks as it is, and you don't improve it by adding someone else who sucks to it.

I mean I get the Steelers have nothing to lose, but Brown isn't going to help anything.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Brown may suck but he's better than what they had. That makes it an improvement. Sad as it is.

He actually played well in 2011 and then missed 2012 with a triceps injury. He's struggled since returning from that injury this year but we're only a month into the season. The Steelers are taking a chance that he might be able to get back to that 2011 form as the season goes. He's allowed 4 sacks this year but 3 of them were in week one. It's no risk. They appear to have given up nothing for him and if he doesn't get better they can just cut him with no salary cap consequences after the season.

SteelFish87*

worst part is the Ravens just got Monroe who is way better. We shoulda got him and extended him

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
worst part is the Ravens just got Monroe who is way better. We shoulda got him and extended him

Monroe has struggled a bit this season too from what I've heard. Regardless, the Steelers were not going to give their 4th and 5th round picks to Jacksonville to get a tackle that would likely test the UFA market if they traded for him. Not worth it when you're 0-4 and already don't have your 3rd because of the deal with Cleveland last draft.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
At some point the Steelers have to realize they are deluding themselves into thinking they can compete with the current lines, secondary and overall team depth. I would trade away their still useful vets and plan a rebuild during a good quarterback draft.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
At some point the Steelers have to realize they are deluding themselves into thinking they can compete with the current lines, secondary and overall team depth. I would trade away their still useful vets and plan a rebuild during a good quarterback draft.

For that to happen, the Steelers would have to realize they've made a lot of bad decisions over the last few years. I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Hypothetically speaking, let's say the Steelers end up with a top 3 pick, and we can either pick DE Clowney or OT Matthews, which one would you want?

I know we need offensive linemen, but Clowney might be too good to pass up.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Hypothetically speaking, let's say the Steelers end up with a top 3 pick, and we can either pick DE Clowney or OT Matthews, which one would you want?

That's pretty much how I feel about it. That might be a scenario where they'd be tempted to trade back, get more picks and still take the tackle they need.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh has such a tanking mentality. :laugh:

I understand the dick measuring contest thing about 'you are such a jagoff, you tanker you. TANKER!'

But at some moment you have to have a dose of reality set in.

1. Despite how amazing I am, and yes I really am that amazing, nothing that I or anyone else says here matters in the least to the Steelers front office, and especially to the guys actually playing the games. That goes for the Steeler's, Pens, and the Sacred Hart Girls Lacrosse team.

2. This Steeler's team is bad, bad on historic levels. I could give a flying **** who they signed on the line, that one signing would be like giving a new coat of paint on the titanic as it was sinking.

3. Wishing for a historically bad team to end up toward the bottom is not being a bad fan, but being a smart fan, despite how our rooting has zero effect on the team's performans. Yeah you can find a Tom Brady in the 7th round, find good players at the end of the first round, but it is far rarer and harder. Especially a star player who will impact your team for the next decade or more. What is wrong with rooting for the Steelers, if there is zero chance of winning, and at 0-4 historically our chances are now zero, then may as well root for something, that high pick is a good start. In Malkin's draft year, one more win, and we came close to it as one of the winningest teams in the last quarter of that year, and we would have gotten Cam Barker instead of Malkin.

These things DO make a difference. Far more than beating a couple more teams this year will on the way to a forgettable season either way.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

If you believe Clowney to be head and shoulders above, you take him and do not look back. You do NOT draft for need instead, and you certainly do not trade back for an extra pick or two. You take the potential star player and enjoy him for the next decade or so.

This Steeler's team is not a couple players away, nor is this a one year rebuild. They have the 'luxury' of taking the most talented player in any position and building around him. Really, can you name a position where the Steelers could not use an upgrade? Even where they have some talent, like defensive back, it is mostly old and will be gone in a year or two.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

You protect your franchise and his name is Benjamin Todd "Big Ben" Roethlisberger.

If you have a chance to get a guy like Matthews, with that kind of talent and bloodlines, at your biggest area of need, only a fool of a GM passes on him.

Put Adams back where he belongs at RT and maybe Roth might finally have to stop running for his life every other snap.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Josh Freeman released by the Buccaneers. That guy's career fell off the face of the earth real fast.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah...that situation melted down and the only option left was really to cut him.

No one was going to trade for him mid-season with this whole mess going on, especially given his contract.

Still blew my mind that he had any period of success in the NFL...but this is more what I expected when he was drafted. Kansas State QB with a sub-60% completion percentage drafted 17th overall...c'mon.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah, I've heard those sentiments from others as well.

Turns out the Cards ate a lot of his salary so the Steelers won't have to restructure any more contracts to squeeze him in.

Jason La Canfora ✔ @JasonLaCanfora

And PIT gets Levi Brown at $840K (vet min), while the Cards pay $2.8M of the remainder of his $$ due in '13.

Steelers have nothing to lose on this one. Worth a shot.

Yeah, there was nothing to lose. A change of scenery was best for him. I think he will probably find a home on the right side, and the other schmoes will fight it out for the LT spot. I do sort of think he has some potential as a run blocking RT. He's much, much better run blocker than any other tackle we have.

Monroe has struggled a bit this season too from what I've heard. Regardless, the Steelers were not going to give their 4th and 5th round picks to Jacksonville to get a tackle that would likely test the UFA market if they traded for him. Not worth it when you're 0-4 and already don't have your 3rd because of the deal with Cleveland last draft.

I have never been a fan of Monroe. I wouldn't have given a 4th and 5th rounder up for him.

That's really, really tough. I like Matthews more, but I'd probably see if the team behind us wanted to trade up where we can trade back, get one, and another pick.

Josh Freeman released by the Buccaneers. That guy's career fell off the face of the earth real fast.

Sure did. They were hyping him up so hard 2 years ago.

Yeah...that situation melted down and the only option left was really to cut him.

No one was going to trade for him mid-season with this whole mess going on, especially given his contract.

Still blew my mind that he had any period of success in the NFL...but this is more what I expected when he was drafted. Kansas State QB with a sub-60% completion percentage drafted 17th overall...c'mon.

The drafting of QB's is just a ridiculous practice, IMO. The #1 QB in a draft, is not necessarily a 1st round talent. You would never know that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad