OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Super Bowl 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I've reached my fill of Cam Newton, and NFL in general, Hot Takes. Too many words have been spilled on both sides of a non-story.

10 more days until Spring Training ladies and gentlemen. I'll see you all in the Pirates thread... :vhappy:

Indeed. Can't wait to be talking baseball again.

I doubt you'd find any Bengals fans regretting that Dalton made that play if he had made it during the Superbowl. Just like I doubt people would be talking much about Cam making this play in week 12.

You're right on the money here. If there is a time to risk getting hurt to make a play, the Superbowl is that time.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I doubt you'd find any Bengals fans regretting that Dalton made that play if he had made it during the Superbowl. Just like I doubt people would be talking much about Cam making this play in week 12.

Maybe so re your Dalton example. Also, if it were week 12 and Panthers were undefeated as they were this season, and the situation were otherwise the same, people would still jump on Cam for not sacrificing himself for the team's perfect season. There are some/lots of people out there who just hate the guy and look for things to ***** about. I also doubt you'd hear as much criticism if it had been Brady or Manning not attempting to dive on the ball in the same situation in the SB.

I can do without his celebrations, the gimmicky football-to-the-kid etc. (which is really all about himself), but he's taking way too much heat for this, IMO.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Denver actually has good corners as well though.

They are good corners, but the engine of that defense is Von Miller and Demarcus Ware. Good corners can only cover so long. I personally think Talib is overrated, and the hand infractions he gets away with is unbelievable to me. He molests WRs. I have no idea how he doesn't get flagged more.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Maybe so re your Dalton example. Also, if it were week 12 and Panthers were undefeated as they were this season, and the situation were otherwise the same, people would still jump on Cam for not sacrificing himself for the team's perfect season. There are some/lots of people out there who just hate the guy and look for things to ***** about. I also doubt you'd hear as much criticism if it had been Brady or Manning not attempting to dive on the ball in the same situation in the SB.

I can do without his celebrations, the gimmicky football-to-the-kid etc. (which is really all about himself), but he's taking way too much heat for this, IMO.

Every NFL fan who doesn't like the Patriots hates Brady so I'm sure he'd be ripped as well. Either way, Manning and Brady aren't 6'4'', 270 lb guys who are known for their physicality and willingness to take a hit.

Cam loves the attention when things are going well and he can't simply escape the same attention when things are not going well. It doesn't work like that. I'm sure the tens of millions he's made this season alone are more than enough to console him after having to endure the horrors of journalists asking him questions after a game.

The media has certainly been overly obsessed with Cam during the playoffs, but the white knights who think they need to protect a professional athlete from words are just embarassing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
he didn't just not dive at it. He got right there, had the ball in his site, then actively moved away from the ball. Its a fumble in the superbowl and you are one of the closest players to the ball, you jump at that ball. It was a really bad play that deserves criticism.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
he didn't just not dive at it. He got right there, had the ball in his site, then actively moved away from the ball. Its a fumble in the superbowl and you are one of the closest players to the ball, you jump at that ball. It was a really bad play that deserves criticism.

Even assuming it's a really bad play and deserves criticism (although for what it's worth his center and head coach didn't seem to have a problem with his decision), it was overblown by the media, to the near-exclusion of bad play by Carolina's O-line and wide receivers, plus all of the penalties, poor offensive play calling, etc. Hell, I thought getting stripped on the first fumble/TD was worse on his part than not diving for the fumble near the end of the game.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
all of those things deserve criticism. I honestly haven't watched or read a single thing since the game ended, so I didn't know it was overshadowing all of those things. There should be plenty of criticism to go around. That doesn't mean it wasn't a bad play, it just means they had a lot of bad things that deserve attention. But the QB is always going to get the most attention, especially when he's the MVP.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
What did the Carolina wide receivers do wrong? The line not playing well meant they had no time to get open. Cam also missed several routine throws that would have been big gains. Also, the wr's brought down a few 50/50 balls that could have (and perhaps should have) been intercepted.

I realize that Carolina's receivers being poor was a reasonable season-long narrative but I believe they actually played quite well in the sb. Cam had a really bad day in terms of throw accuracy and the line was pathetic.

Last edited:

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
The biggest issue most have with the fumble is that he acts like it was no big deal to fumble in the SuperBowl. Problem is, who is to say he EVER goes back? Its not like its a guarantee to ever return in his career. Plenty of great players never even sniffed the SB and Cam doesn't even give his all to get a fumble which he created with the game being only a one score affair and plenty of time remaining in the game. I think thats what really irked people. It was a very selfish decision on his part.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
What did the Carolina wide receivers do wrong? The line not playing well meant they had no time to get open. Cam also missed several routine throws that would have been big gains. Also, the wr's brought down a few 50/50 balls that could have (and perhaps should have) been intercepted.

I realize that Carolina's receivers being poor was a reasonable season-long narrative but I believe they actually played quite well in the sb. Cam had a really bad day in terms of throw accuracy and the line was pathetic.

Agreed. The receivers were lacking throughout the season, but they generally did their job on Sunday. You can't catch a ball thrown 5 yards in the wrong direction 5 feet high...Cam's accuracy was crap.

I've never liked Cam, but the media piling on him is a bit of a joke...that said, that comment about not wanting to get injured in what was the most important play of his career to this point...yeah, that won't sit well with his teammates. That is the definition of the play that you play without regard for your own safety...this may be his only trip to the Super Bowl and he basically gave up on it in that moment.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Despite of all the great things Roethlisberger has done for the Steelers if he did that during the Super Bowl I would be irate with him. Newton had a great season and deserved the MVP but the criticism he is getting for that "effort" is warranted. To me that's way more of an issue than his press conference and I thought he acted like a sore loser in that but at least that is understandable coming off a loss. Hell, the Panthers were just one play from taking a lead and winning the game still at that point. If he recovers that ball who knows what could happen from there on out.

Last edited:

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Man I play with no regard for my safety in a local ball hockey league, I can't imagine what I'd do if I was in the super bowl.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Haha not going to quote it since it's already been quoted but that's awesome. I need to rewatch the Super Bowl soon. I started drinking at 11 EST during the Chelsea/Man U game and I have almost 20 people over watching the game so it's a little bit of a blur.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Michael Oher needed different cleats. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't on those kids of fields as an offensive lineman. He could wear longer spikes, but the odds of him getting a bad injury drastically go up because unlike grass, that turf doesn't tear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad