May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
2013 Playoffs Set
FIRST ROUND

Saturday, Nov. 30
200px-Lafayette_college_leopard_logo.png
@
214px-NewHampshireWildcats.svg.png

Lafayette (5-6) at New Hampshire (7-4), noon (ESPN3)

175px-PaladinsLogo.svg.png
@
175px-South_Carolina_State_Bulldogs_athletics_logo.gif

Furman (7-5) at South Carolina State (9-3), 1 p.m. (ESPN3)

150px-BethuneCookmanWildcats.PNG
@
180px-CoastalCarolinaChanticleers.png

Bethune-Cookman (10-2) at Coastal Carolina (10-2), 1 p.m. (ESPN3)

175px-Sacred_Heart_Pioneers.svg.png
@
200px-FordhamRams.png

Sacred Heart (10-2) at Fordham (11-1), 1 p.m. (ESPN3)

100px-TennesseeStateUniversityLogo.png
@
180px-ButlerBulldogs.png

Tennessee State (9-3) at Butler (9-3), 1 p.m. (ESPN3)

155px-Southern_Utah_Thunderbirds.gif
@
150px-SHSU_Bearkats.svg.png

Southern Utah (8-4) at Sam Houston State (8-4), 3 p.m. (ESPN3)

200px-SD_Jackrabbits_logo.png
@
200px-NorthernArizonaLumberjacks.png

South Dakota State (8-4) at Northern Arizona (9-2), 8 p.m. (ESPN3)

200px-SamfordBulldogs.png
@
220px-Jsusports.png

Samford (8-4) at Jacksonville State (9-3), 8 p.m. (ESPN3)

SECOND ROUND

Saturday, Dec. 7
TowsonTigers.png

Sacred Heart/Fordham winner at No. 7 Towson (10-2), 1 p.m. (ESPN3)

EasternIllinoisPanthers.png

Tennessee State/Butler winner at No. 2 Eastern Illinois (11-1), 2 p.m. (ESPN3)

montanagriz.png

Bethune-Cookman/Coastal Carolina winner at No. 8 Montana (10-2), 2 p.m. (ESPN3)

180px-Maine_Black_Bears_Logo.svg.png

Lafayette/New Hampshire winner at No. 5 Maine (10-2), 2 p.m. (ESPN3)

NDSU-Bison-Logo.jpg

Furman/South Carolina State winner at No. 1 North Dakota State (11-0), 3:30 p.m. (ESPN3)

160px-EasternWashingtonEagles.png

South Dakota State/Northern Arizona winner at No. 3 Eastern Washington (10-2), 4 p.m. (ESPN3)

Mcneese_State_Cowboys_Athletics_Logo.jpg

Samford/Jacksonville State winner at No. 6 McNeese State (10-2), 7 p.m. (ESPN3)

220px-SELouisianaLions.png

Southern Utah/Sam Houston State winner at No. 4 Southeastern Louisiana (10-2), 8 p.m. (ESPN3)

QUARTERFINALS
Friday, Dec. 13 and Saturday, Dec. 14

SEMIFINALS
Friday, Dec. 20 and Saturday, Dec. 21

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP
Saturday, Jan. 4
Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas
2 p.m. ET (ESPN2, ESPN3)​

**** yeah, a real playoff system...well, it still has flaws (5-6 Lafayette got in via upsetting a legitimately decent Lehigh team on Saturday and winning the Patriot League's auto-bid), but it's still better than that limited crap the FBS is trying to pull as a 'playoff' system.
(Montana is going to get destroyed by North Dakota State in the quarterfinals...we got screwed on that draw...Southeastern Louisiana & Towson are better? What?)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Slippery Rock lost to Winston-Salem State in the DII first round, that's the only Pittsburgh-area team connection.

Duquesne came within 10 points of getting into the FCS playoffs, but they lost the tie-breaker in the NEC by losing the head-to-head match-up with Sacred Heart a few weeks ago. Robert Morris went 5-6.

Skillzz

Registered Boozer
Jan 27, 2012
Omicron Persei 8
My interest in the playoffs isn't as great since Villanova isn't in, but I'll watch anyway. Haven't been really invested since '09, when Nova won it all. Maine has got a good team, saw them in person. Other than that, couldn't tell you much about any of those teams.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I usually don't post or care much about the NBA but I did find it pretty sad to hear the report today that Derrick Rose is out for the season again after having surgery on his knee. One of the best young players in the game and the poor kid's career may be down the drain at only 25 years old.

Skillzz

Registered Boozer
Jan 27, 2012
Omicron Persei 8
i-hate-you.gif

Losing to a school with no fans really hurt.

Mmmmm, that wound is still fresh, I see? :nod:

But really though, you're right, most people here could give two ***** about our football team. Everybody (looking at myself here too) just bandwagoned the hell out of the team in '09.

Nova was, is, and forever will be a basketball school. We need a lottery system for basketball tickets, while the football team struggles to fill half the stadium.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Pitt basketball trucks Texas Tech 76-56.

Speaking of basketball, since Pittsburgh has no NBA team (a damn shame), who do fans of the pro game here root for?

those who don't have a team should consider following the warriors. there are some parallels that could be drawn between the dubs and the buccos: won a title in the 70s, had an exciting team in the early 90s, mangled by terrible ownership and incompetent management until they became the laughingstock of the league, but now the future looks bright as the team is playing exciting ball ...

of course, there's the matter of being awake late enough to watch the games.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Pitt basketball trucks Texas Tech 76-56.

Speaking of basketball, since Pittsburgh has no NBA team (a damn shame), who do fans of the pro game here root for?

Spurs. Been a fan since the "Admiral" David Robinson days

Been lucky with my sport teams, Pens, Pats and Spurs. Only thing that hurts was losing the Expos but now cheering for the Buccos :D

BigBenSF*

I'll second Crafton's statement. The Warriors are probably the most exciting team in the NBA. Curry is a gamebreaker, when he's hot, he can't be stopped.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Professional basketball is a sham and a joke.

If I had to choose I'm going Lakers, just because the Staples Center is less than 3 miles down the street from me and the Clippers shouldn't exist (and have one of the most unlikeable sports owners in history). Growing up I was partial to the Supersonics because they weren't the Bulls and Detlef Schrempf had a kickass name.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Dissing professional basketball and then saying you'd root for the Lakers is just bad form.

I always had a soft spot for the Sonic, though. Then again I don't really outright hate any NBA teams, probably because I never found any to really identify with with. I even have some respect for the 76ers.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Mine has always been the bulls. I was a kid during their dynasty and loved Dennis Rodman and his crazy hair. Plus MJ was just a beast.

I'm not really a fan anymore, but if I had to choose, its them.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Dissing professional basketball and then saying you'd root for the Lakers is just bad form.

I haven't watched an NBA game since about 1996 and the Lakers suck and have a horrible future, so you can't accuse me of bandwagoning at least :laugh:

They're just the lesser of two evils that play down the street when I have absolutely no connection to any of the other teams. I'd say Trailblazers, but when I was younger I hated them, it's hard to kick that sort of thing. The Lakers were largely irrelevant in that tiny window where I liked basketball so...meh. My interest in the sport doesn't expand past the fact that Visual Concepts made a really good video game on my new console anyway. I went to one college game in my 5 1/2 years in school, and I spent the entire game talking about hockey with a Finn.

220px-Seattle-Supersonics-logo-1975-1995.jpg

Come back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad