Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
karatesteeler.0.gif

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So it looks like Brown's intention was to leap him, then realized what was going to happen.... and he kicks him. :laugh: That is the dumbest decision I think I've ever seen, but that's the decision he came up with last minute. But at the same time, it's not like he was going down there ONLY with the intent to kicking a player.

Do you think he gets suspended? I mean... he kicked a player in the head. Talk about player safety, eh?

Xavier Laflamme*

So it looks like Brown's intention was to leap him, then realized what was going to happen.... and he kicks him. :laugh: That is the dumbest decision I think I've ever seen, but that's the decision he came up with last minute. But at the same time, it's not like he was going down there ONLY with the intent to kicking a player.

Do you think he gets suspended? I mean... he kicked a player in the head. Talk about player safety, eh?

No way. A guy with no history and a play that is pure speculation in terms of what his motives were. A fine and that's it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I don't think he ever meant to kick him. I think his natural instinct when he realized he wasn't going to jump him was to get his foot to the ground as quickly as possible.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So I saw this video last night:

Then just caught the highlights of the game this morning and started to crack up when I realized Eagle said "Suisham sweeps the leg!" on the winning fg call.

Last edited:

Mischa

Feb 11, 2012
I don't think he ever meant to kick him. I think his natural instinct when he realized he wasn't going to jump him was to get his foot to the ground as quickly as possible.
this.

occam's razor

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Natural and first intent - absolutely not. You are correct. However... the action of kicking a guy in the head DID happen. He sort of put himself in this situation and you can't deny how awful the images/slow mo look.

I'm trying to take my Pittsburgh Steeler fandom out of this one and think of how I would feel if it went the other way. Or if it happened to Ben or something as he was sliding, or what not.

Look - the act happened and if the NFL is really about player safety and concussions - they'd make a big stink about this. It's like hockey when some idiot turns into the boards and gets run from behind. It's the player's fault for putting himself in a vulnerable position but equally the player's fault (for whatever reason) for coming in fast and furious. I would be proud of the NFL for making a statement and making it a 1 game suspension to prove a point that they actually do care. If this happened to the Steelers, we'd all be saying the same thing.

Initial intent - absolutely not. However... come on. :laugh:

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Natural and first intent - absolutely not. You are correct. However... the action of kicking a guy in the head DID happen. He sort of put himself in this situation and you can't deny how awful the images/slow mo look.

I'm trying to take my Pittsburgh Steeler fandom out of this one and think of how I would feel if it went the other way. Or if it happened to Ben or something as he was sliding, or what not.

Look - the act happened and if the NFL is really about player safety and concussions - they'd make a big stink about this. It's like hockey when some idiot turns into the boards and gets run from behind. It's the player's fault for putting himself in a vulnerable position but equally the player's fault (for whatever reason) for coming in fast and furious. I would be proud of the NFL for making a statement and making it a 1 game suspension to prove a point that they actually do care. If this happened to the Steelers, we'd all be saying the same thing.

Have you ever hurdled before? At the top of the jump your first instinct is to throw your front foot down towards the ground. It's a natural reflex. I wouldn't be mad if the same thing happened to the Steelers because I simply don't see why anybody would think it was worth it to kick the punter in the head deliberately. Add on that Brown has no history of thuggish actions and I don't see this as anything more than a fine for recklessness. Although knowing Goddell's history with the Steelers I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4 game suapension because that was obviously twice as bad as assaulting a woman.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

A suspension would be absurd. The human condition always reverts to self preservation. He simply mis-timed his jump and had a millisecond to make a decision. There is no way I pull back my leg either and get flipped. **** that.

A fine I'd be ok with though.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
A suspension would be absurd. The human condition always reverts to self preservation. He simply mis-timed his jump and had a millisecond to make a decision. There is no way I pull back my leg either and get flipped. **** that.

A fine I'd be ok with though.

Noooooooooooooooooobody is disagreeing with what you are saying. Nobody. If he stays in that hurdled position, he puts himself in danger. Nobody in the world will argue that.

But that being said - it still happened. :laugh: If this happened to the Steelers, everyone would be up in arms over here at Yinzernation. Talk shows would be hilarious.

It's definitely some golden sports hypocrisy. Cool if the Steelers do it, hated if it was done to them.

Xavier Laflamme*

Have you just met Roger Goodell?

Never met him, have you??

I've been able to formulate my own personal opinion however based on how he has handled fines and suspensions of previous players. Which is how I was able to come to the conclusion that AB will only get a fine for this.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Noooooooooooooooooobody is disagreeing with what you are saying. Nobody. If he stays in that hurdled position, he puts himself in danger. Nobody in the world will argue that.

But that being said - it still happened. :laugh: If this happened to the Steelers, everyone would be up in arms over here at Yinzernation. Talk shows would be hilarious.

It's definitely some golden sports hypocrisy. Cool if the Steelers do it, hated if it was done to them.

I think with the Ray Rice video being released today, the Brown incident will be a minor backstory TBTH.

As for YinzerNation being up in arms, maybe. Most fans never tried to hurdle a guy at full speed, let alone in the NFL.

Either way, it was still funny as hell since no one got hurt.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

It was definitely a reckless play. I don't know what I think they will do. I will be surprised with a suspension. I would think a fine. And then next we they may add a rule to disallow hurdling players.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think with the Ray Rice video being released today, the Brown incident will be a minor backstory TBTH.

As for YinzerNation being up in arms, maybe. Most fans never tried to hurdle a guy at full speed, let alone in the NFL.

Either way, it was still funny as hell since no one got hurt.

It was extra funny because I was against Brown in fantasy this week, so taking away his yards and TD was huge for me. :laugh: Its a real win-win-win for me.

Xavier Laflamme*

Anybody catch the video of Ray Rice knocking out his fiancé? Holy ****! Goodell is saying that this is the first time they've seen the video however TMZ is saying that's not true and they saw it when it first came available.

Either way, it's disturbing that POS only got 2 games. I'm glad this isn't going away and continues to blow up in both the NFL and Baltimores face.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
0903-nerds-candy-01.jpg

But ya, that's exactly why I don't do fantasy sports.

Why? I wasn't rooting against the Steelers or anything. I cheered every time Brown made a play. I was annoyed we didn't get the TD. But considering he kicked the dude in the face and we scored like 2 plays later, I will take what happened over him running back that punt regardless of fantasy.

Fantasy is the only reason I follow anything that happens outside of the Steelers.

Xavier Laflamme*

Ray Rice actually spit on her too after he knocked her out...dude...

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
i love the steelers, but insofar as they broadly enable the nfl, this situation highlights the stark contrast between the league's values and my own and makes me question my own fandom. really ugly stuff. seems just like a politician - try and get away with as little as possible until the public demands more with matters of morality not a part of the decision making calculus.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Why? I wasn't rooting against the Steelers or anything. I cheered every time Brown made a play. I was annoyed we didn't get the TD. But considering he kicked the dude in the face and we scored like 2 plays later, I will take what happened over him running back that punt regardless of fantasy.

Fantasy is the only reason I follow anything that happens outside of the Steelers.

I grew up playing and being passionate about both hockey and football. So I follow both leagues because I love it. I pretty much despise fantasy sports. It's good for both games I guess because as you said, it's why you watch other games.

I did play a couple of times back in the late 90s, but hated it.

It's just not my thing. Now power drifting with Morton and smoking VPs with 10k rep in 150cc... That's my thing (my wife got Mario Kart 8 for my daughter and I used to play it as a kid and now I'm addicted again).

RxPens

Oct 7, 2008
Just wondering if anyone on the boards could chime in on Panther's ex-QB Tino Sunseri. He was signed this summer to be the third string QB for the Roughriders of the CFL. Durant, our League MVP QB, went down on Sunday with what looks to be a serious elbow injury (in the middle of a 7-game win streak :help:). It seems that Sunseri has earned the first shot at the replacement job from the coaching staff. He has played decently in a handful of quarters as a back-up thus far... but looked a little nervous with passes after being thrust into the spotlight on Sunday night. Wondering if someone could give us a more in-depth scouting report of what to expect, tendencies, etc?

Xavier Laflamme*

Just wondering if anyone on the boards could chime in on Panther's ex-QB Tino Sunseri. He was signed this summer to be the third string QB for the Roughriders of the CFL. Durant, our League MVP QB, went down on Sunday with what looks to be a serious elbow injury (in the middle of a 7-game win streak :help:). It seems that Sunseri has earned the first shot at the replacement job from the coaching staff. He has played decently in a handful of quarters as a back-up thus far... but looked a little nervous with passes after being thrust into the spotlight on Sunday night. Wondering if someone could give us a more in-depth scouting report of what to expect, tendencies, etc?

He may go down as one of the most hated Pitt QB's of all time. I'm not sure if it's all his fault either, the Panthers just didn't have anyone better behind him..though Tino was a bit smug.

Tino lacked any kind of arm strength and accuracy more than 15 yards down the field. He was decent on quick hits and crossing slants but he posses no deep ball whatsoever.

He has a bit of mobility though and can escape some would be sacks.

He's basically just an average game manager. Maybe he finds his game in the CFL though..who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad