OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: NFL Playoff Time! How will Tomlin "Tomlin" this up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I'll leave this here

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171218-174905.png
    Screenshot_20171218-174905.png
    352.9 KB · Views: 52

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I don't think you get it.
AB was deemed a RUNNER therefore momentarily breaking the plan was a TD.
JJ was NOT yet a RUNNER, he was still (apparently) in the ACT of Receiving/going to ground.

NOt the same.

But I still want someone to explain to me why the Going to Ground/Pass Completion did not occur when JJ's knee hit the turf while he was in full possession of the ball.

What did he need to do to become a Runner?

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

No one really knows, the NFL just kind of makes this rule up as they go along TBTH.

If you watch the Cooks TD agt the Texans earlier this season, he had two feet down and dove and lost the ball. Refs rule it a TD.

JJ got a knee down and dove, but it's not a TD, even though one knee=two feet.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I don't think you get it.
AB was deemed a RUNNER therefore momentarily breaking the plan was a TD.
JJ was NOT yet a RUNNER, he was still (apparently) in the ACT of Receiving/going to ground.

NOt the same.

But I still want someone to explain to me why the Going to Ground/Pass Completion did not occur when JJ's knee hit the turf while he was in full possession of the ball.

I get it, still waiting for evidence of the ball hitting the turf. I only saw it spin on Jesse's right hand. BOINK

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
So even if the rule was applied correctly.... the fact of the matter is that the ruling on the field was a touchdown. They put the points on the boards. The replay has to show "conclusive evidence" that it wasn't a touchdown for the call to be overturned.

So was there a replay that showed conclusive evidence, enough to overturn a ruling on the field, that James didn't control that ball through the contact with ground? Because there is a lot of angles showing his hand under the ball.

The ruling on the field should have stood imo. Ruling on the fields (or ice) always take priority unless the replay shows "conclusive evidence" otherwise. And if it was ruled a no catch initially then I would be saying the same thing against it being a touchdown.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Contrary to popular belief throughout New England, the Patriots do have influence in the offices of the NFL.
His name is Alberto Riveron, and he is the NFL’s senior vice president of officiating.
Whether you agree (Patriots fans) with his call Sunday night robbing Jesse James of a touchdown or not (Steelers fans), Riveron has helped decide three victories for New England just this season.
Contrary to popular belief throughout New England, the Patriots do have influence in the offices of the NFL.
His name is Alberto Riveron, and he is the NFL’s senior vice president of officiating.
Whether you agree (Patriots fans) with his call Sunday night robbing Jesse James of a touchdown or not (Steelers fans), Riveron has helped decide three victories for New England just this season.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

You didn't post the funniest thing from Easy Eds article...

An NFL source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Cooks’ catch remained a touchdown because there was no good video angle that showed him losing control of the ball when he hit the ground.

Is it sad I was able to call out this lame excuse a couple posts ago?

How predictable.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
You didn't post the funniest thing from Easy Eds article...

Is it sad I was able to call out this lame excuse a couple posts ago?

How predictable.
That response form the NFL is exactly what I would say if I was running a crooked league.

ibar726

Aug 6, 2013

Sure they may have made some mistakes in the past, but at least the NFL demonstrated some consistency when this catch from last nights SNF Raiders-Cowboys game was overturrr.... Wait, what do you mean this was ruled a catch? Am I imagining that the ball is clearly moving and it looks like parts of it "probably" hit the ground at least twice.
dirty-language-smiley-emoticon.gif

Can someone get Mr. Al Riveron on speed dial please?
mad0228.gif

Last edited:

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
The Steelers deserved better.

In my heart of hearts, that should have been a touchdown.

You guys seriously got jobbed.

If there is such a thing as karma, the Steelers will right this wrong a month from now

mynameisnick4

Jan 18, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think there is a good chance the Steelers don't even make it to the title game against New England. Another negative thing from losing that game is that now they will have to most likely play Jacksonville which is a horrible matchup for them. They already smacked the Steelers here this season and while I don't think that would happen that way again that defense and running game is a terrible matchup for them.

Reactions: KIRK

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Jacksonville is built for the playoffs for sure. That defense is shaping up to be one of the greats of this era with the Ravens and Bucs.

Reactions: KIRK

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The Jags play in a very weak division and have the destitute man's Brett Favre at qb. Still, if Fournette is healthy for the playoffs the Steelers without Shazier are going to be powerless to stop him.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The Jags play in a very weak division and have the destitute man's Brett Favre at qb. Still, if Fournette is healthy for the playoffs the Steelers without Shazier are going to be powerless to stop him.

Ben's 5 picks against them may have been an anomaly, but that defense is as good as it gets. Their CB's can press, and their DL can get heavy pressure without blitzing. An ugly matchup for our offense too.

That's another reason you wanted to beat NE. Would've made them go to Jacksonville.

Two other quick things . . .

1. Bortles has been excellent the last few weeks. He isn't just managing games right now. He's helping to win them, and that's scary.

2. That said, there's no such thing as a gimme. They can be beaten like anyone else, so we may not see them, fingers crossed.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Ben's 5 picks against them may have been an anomaly, but that defense is as good as it gets. Their CB's can press, and their DL can get heavy pressure without blitzing. An ugly matchup for our offense too.

That's another reason you wanted to beat NE. Would've made them go to Jacksonville.

Two other quick things . . .

1. Bortles has been excellent the last few weeks. He isn't just managing games right now. He's helping to win them, and that's scary.

2. That said, there's no such thing as a gimme. They can be beaten like anyone else, so we may not see them, fingers crossed.

In terms of matchups I think the two teams that match up the best against the Patriots would be the Jags and the Chargers (I will try not to be too biased because I am a Chargers fan lol). Now the Chargers have a ton of work to do just to make it in but if they get in I think they also have the defense to match up well with New England. From watching them play the Pats earlier this year they made Brady uncomfortable in the pocket all day and held the Patriots to only 21 points at Gillette. Their offense came up limp that day though and they couldn't convert any of the chances they were given. But I think they have the pass rush and secondary that could give New England problems as well

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
What? We have a more talented defense than New England. Heyward and Shazier comfortably start for every single team in the league. Haden, Williams and Tuitt would get into most as well. You're way off base on this one.

I was referring to our Super Bowl teams....unless we are hiding a prime Polamalu, Harrison, Keisel somewhere on the depth chart, this defense is a shell of what those teams were....

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I was referring to our Super Bowl teams....unless we are hiding a prime Polamalu, Harrison, Keisel somewhere on the depth chart, this defense is a shell of what those teams were....

Fortunately, the Patriots defense is also a shell of what they once were. There's no Chandler Jones or Vince Wilfork or Rodney Harrison or Richard Seymour.

I understand your point about Polamalu and Harrison, but not Keisel. Cam Heyward is ten times the player that Brett Keisel was.

Reactions: td_ice

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
In terms of matchups I think the two teams that match up the best against the Patriots would be the Jags and the Chargers (I will try not to be too biased because I am a Chargers fan lol). Now the Chargers have a ton of work to do just to make it in but if they get in I think they also have the defense to match up well with New England. From watching them play the Pats earlier this year they made Brady uncomfortable in the pocket all day and held the Patriots to only 21 points at Gillette. Their offense came up limp that day though and they couldn't convert any of the chances they were given. But I think they have the pass rush and secondary that could give New England problems as well

Chargers at Foxborough, not so sure they sweat that, but yeah I'd bet the Pats no more want to see the Jags than the Steelers do.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Incredible to see the media fawn before Tomlin after tha presser.
"I'd play for him concussed"
Dear God. That was an abdication of coaching for much of the second half, and certainly all of the last minute.

Does anyone think BB doesn't have a couple versions of 2plays already called during the 5 minute "what's a catch ? Oh, it's the Patriots, of course not, my bad" discussion?

Does anyone think BB doesn't chuck and blanket Gronk on the last drive? Up to and including leaving other guys uncovered?

And on the 2-pt BB would make sure ANYBODY but Gronk catches it, including putting all 11 guys on him.

It's laughable how badly the coaching failed in the second half. On both sides of the ball. As bad as Davis must feel, he should feel worse that his coaches hung him out to dry.

And I stand by my notion re the last play. If they only called one play, that's incompetent. If Tomlin really screamed a play last second, that's incompetent also. If Haley ACTUALLY planned a Fake Spike on 3D down cos he's a Genius, then....worse than incompetent.

NO WAY to interpret the last part of that game as anything but a coaching Fail.

And yet...."I'd play for Tomlin concussed"
You probably are already, pal.

Reactions: TNT87

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
The Steelers prepared for the wrong replay review outcome

So apparently the official on the field gave a couple different possibilities about what the ruling would be. What the Steelers prepared for, according to Tomlin, was that the pass would be complete and he would be downed at the one with a ten second runoff.

Tomlin gave a bunch of quotes but trying to decipher what he said would give me a headache.

I didn't have internet service from Sunday night until now so everyone pretty much touched on what my comments are. Davis was bad and there is no doubt he should have came up with that interception but after what point should the coaches have realized to double team the biggest threat the Pats had? Stop him on that two point conversion and a FG would have won it. Inexcusable with the way they defended him. Let someone else beat you. Then again this the team that last year didn't even bother to cover him a couple times so I guess it's progress.

The second down pass to DHB made no sense considering you have no timeouts. Throw the ball into the end zone. Do I blame them for trying to win it at the end? Nope. They were being aggressive. It's too bad they weren't on the game's only three and out before the Pats scored their TD.

That's about as gutwrenching a loss for a regular season game I've ever watched. Literally they went from a win, to a tie for OT, to a loss within seconds. Stunning. Win it and they could afford to rest some players. Now Jacksonville is right behind them. With Brown out they desperately need that bye.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Yep. Made little sense to not have multiple EZ targets on both plays and Bryant should have been on the field.
Whatever the refs told Tomlin , they HAD to be prepared for No Catch (and I thought they had been told that also ).

I just do not see any way to eval this except as an enormous goat-F-ck coaching wise. They literally had no idea what to do on 3rd down. Unless it was an elaborate planned Fake Spike by Haley, in which case it's even worse.

Truly, HS coaches do better than this. They had 5 MINUTES to get ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad