OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’d rather take a WR like Thomas or Mitchell in round one than trade for Sutton etc…will be cheaper longer

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Just for comparison to other C/G prospects:

-Frazier: 1 top-30 visit (Steelers)
-Barton: 3 top-30 visits (Steelers, Cowboys and Bears) and 5 combine interviews (Bills, Buccaneers, Cowboys, Seahawks and Steelers)
-JPJ: 5 top-30 visits (Bears, Buccaneers, Cowboys, Dolphins and Steelers) and 3 combine interviews (Bengals, Buccaneers and Seahawks)
-Van Pran: 0 top-30 visits but 2 combine interviews (Steelers and Bears)

I really think Steelers fans are exaggerating how much interest there is in Frazier, tbh. I'm becoming more and more sure he falls to 51. And even if he doesn't fall to 51, I'm pretty confident that Van Pran will be there at 84 and the Steelers would take him there.

They are treating Frazier how they have treated a lot of "local" prospects. I don't believe they even paid attention to Freiermuth, he said. They typically do have a good read on the local prospects and don't pay much attention to them through the draft process.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I sure hope they don't trade for Sutton using a 3rd round pick. Day 3 only, maybe like a 6th this year and a 4th next year kinda thing.

People banged on DJ relentlessly but he has more receptions, more yards and more TDs than Sutton in one less year. Sutton does do a better job of avg yards per reception but that hasn't meant more TDs. Before his 10TD season last year, he had 4 TDs from 2020-2022.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Weird to do that now?

Yes.

They had toughly 12 million in space previously. Which is more than enough to get through the draft as there wont be any signings until the draft plays out.

The only logical reason to allocate any time to a restructure pre draft would be to open space for possible trades.

One would infer that there is at least some possibility the steelers are trying to trade for a player thats making over 12 million dollars.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
I sure hope they don't trade for Sutton using a 3rd round pick. Day 3 only, maybe like a 6th this year and a 4th next year kinda thing.

People banged on DJ relentlessly but he has more receptions, more yards and more TDs than Sutton in one less year. Sutton does do a better job of avg yards per reception but that hasn't meant more TDs. Before his 10TD season last year, he had 4 TDs from 2020-2022.
Sutton is underrated. He's very good but his skillset is too similar to Pickens

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
See I like the idea of doubling down on WRs like Pickens because it feels like most teams will have a CB who gets bullied by people like them.

Reactions: Andy99

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Moving up to 12 at that cost makes no sense….Steelers have too many needs….I mean if they needed a QB fine, but otherwise they’ll get really good talent where they are, or even dropping back in the draft…I’d rather see them drop out of the first round actually and pick up 2 seconds for three second round picks…

Thank you. In such a deep draft, you look to trade DOWN. In a weak draft class, you trade UP.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

If it costs less than a 3rd, I'd be even more for it then.

I'd just be fine with anything as high as their later 3rd for him, even if that may be an overpayment. If it's the Jeudy return of a 5th and 6th, I'm even happier with it.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

In terms of being a WR - DJ is the better player, IMO.

In terms of being a football player - I think Sutton is a better player. He's very Hines Ward-esque. Even when Hines wasn't catching balls, you felt him in the game. Sutton is a savage blocker and he and Pickens would represent two WRs who can pick up first downs and block their asses off when they are engaged.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
So that's worse than garbage given your analysis.
One makes chump change the other wants a new contract with 2 years left paying him 30 million next 2 seasons. He is holding out because his contract has 2 million in guaranteed money left over 2 years

I would do a pick swap or late round picks like Judy went for

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think trading some day 3 picks for Sutton would obviously reduce the need to draft a WR, but I'm debating whether I'd still want to use a 3rd on a WR or not. I'm definitely not using a 1st or 2nd for a WR if they bring in Sutton, but I'm still not sure I see a true WR3 on this team that I want to keep going forward.

I may wait until 98 to take a WR if they pull off Sutton, but I know I'd be targeting 2 of a CB, RT and C in the first 2 rounds if they pull off Sutton.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Of course I’d rather pay less for Sutton, but a 3rd round pick seems like fair market value to me. Trading a 3rd for him would allow us to address other needs in round 1/2. There aren’t any WRs of Sutton’s skill set available in the 3rd round that would be instant plug and play starters like he would be.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Of course I’d rather pay less for Sutton, but a 3rd round pick seems like fair market value to me. Trading a 3rd for him would allow us to address other needs in round 1/2. There aren’t any WRs of Sutton’s skill set available in the 3rd round that would be instant plug and play starters like he would be.
Why is he is worth a 3rd every wr traded this off season has been for a day 3 pick or a 2025 2nd. There 15 wr that have his skill set in this draft

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yeah it may be an "overpayment" based on the Jeudy trade, but I don't see why someone would make a big deal about #98 for Sutton. I don't view the difference between #98 for Sutton versus #119 and a 6th next year for Sutton to even be worth fretting about.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Yeah it may be an "overpayment" based on the Jeudy trade, but I don't see why someone would make a big deal about #98 for Sutton. I don't view the difference between #98 for Sutton versus #119 and a 6th next year for Sutton to even be worth fretting about.
Are you handling him 3/58 with 41 million guaranteed Like Juedy got from Cleveland if not you’re dealing with a holdout

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Sutton is better than Jeudy and there was a bigger supply of WRs when Jeudy got traded (right at the beginning of FA).

But yeah, agreed I’m not sweating a minor overpayment for a WR of Sutton’s caliber given our other options. He seems like the best we’d be able to get without spending a 1st on a WR.

Why is he is worth a 3rd every wr traded this off season has been for a day 3 pick or a 2025 2nd. There 15 wr that have his skill set in this draft
Comparing trades from the beginning of free agency vs the day before the draft isn’t apples-apples. There are not 15 WRs with his skill-set in this draft. Stop being disingenuous.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd rather the Steelers just not overpay for win-now players when they're not win-now tbh.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Are you handling him 3/58 with 41 million guaranteed Like Juedy got from Cleveland if not you’re dealing with a holdout

The Browns doing something stupid doesn't mean every other team is going to have to do something stupid as well.

Sutton is still technically under contract for both 2024 and 2025, he just has only $2 million in guaranteed money for those two years. I'm pretty sure any "extension" would just add a year or two and increase the guarantees for 2024 and 2025.

I'd rather the Steelers just not overpay for win-now players when they're not win-now tbh.

What indication has this team given that they're not a win-now team?

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
It’s definitely fair to say the Steelers are a “fraud” contender, but they are set up to make a run this year with no repercussions so I don’t mind them taking a swing while Watt is still in his prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad