OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Kenny Pickett 2.0 there, but a team is even dumber for drafting him that high.

Using this chart, I think the deal would look pretty close to 20 and 51 for 12 and 121. I'm already not thrilled about taking a CB in round 1, but to sink a 2nd as well to trade up for a defensive player would be a wild mistake IMO.
Kenny Pickett 2.0 is Bo Nix in my opinion. While I don’t think JJ is anything special, he’s at least young and theoretically has room to grow. Nix breaking out as a 5th yr in a weak conference seems like a huge trap.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I know they traded up a few picks in the first last year... but with how that draft ended up I'd like to see them keep all their picks. Absolute incredible first year of drafting by Khan. I say sit back and take BPA - trade down even if you want.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So, pretty fair value.

Yeah, McCarthy being that much younger IMO is a decisive variable in his favor. I also think he was put in a position to be a game manager with the run heavy offense they had. But when TM had to make a play his numbers were very good.

Aye. His numbers on third and long were really strong. He pressure to sack ratio was strong.

I really like him as a prospect. There's some flaws beyond being a game manager in college - in particular the lack of touch on his throws worries me - but they're all flawed and it sounds like he's got the right mentality in spades.

Should he be going top 5, top 10? Probably not but that's the modern NFL. Every QB goes at the very top of their possible range if not higher. It's stupid but either as with all markets where people do stupid things, you either pay those prices and hope you're the lucky one who's right or you watch everyone else get a chance to win because you wouldn't buy a ticket.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I know they traded up a few picks in the first last year... but with how that draft ended up I'd like to see them keep all their picks. Absolute incredible first year of drafting by Khan. I say sit back and take BPA - trade down even if you want.
I wouldn't read too much into the moving up last year as an indicator of the DNA of the Khan - Weidle partnership.

That was a matter of opportunity.

New England targeted a specific player, that they got, and could get a small bonus pick in the bargain. As well, they could screw the Jets.

That is not the norm.

I would not call the Khan - Weidle aggressive as much as opportunists. Which is great in my book.

If the opportunity opens, any opportunity, up, down, UFA signing, any, they are smart enough to take it.

If not, I don't see them turning into the NFL version of GMJR.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
We'll be making a trade, if not and as a back up plan we'll sign Boyd if we're thin at WR or Simmonds for the secondary. Plenty of options.
There's no way they're bringing in 2 new QBs then pinning their hopes on Pickens, a fresh rookie and a bunch of 2nd chance lottery tickets. Even if D Dub should have a greatly increased role.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
There's no way they're bringing in 2 new QBs then pinning their hopes on Pickens, a fresh rookie and a bunch of 2nd chance lottery tickets. Even if D Dub should have a greatly increased role.
Pretty excited about the possibilities over the next couple of days.

Reactions: TNT87

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

You say this but if they can't swing a trade this is what happens.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
WR trade value is a little tricky to decipher but how much could Sutton realistically cost given his age and contract status?

Day 3 pick? Jeudy went for a 4th and 6th

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
The biggest concern I have on Sutton would be the contract — he apparently wants a new one which might not be all that cheap. He’s a fine player but not sure he’s someone you really want give a sizeable deal to.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
WR trade value is a little tricky to decipher but how much could Sutton realistically cost given his age and contract status?

Day 3 pick? Jeudy went for a 4th and 6th
I would be ok with a 3rd for him. Anything more than that and I’d rather look at other options.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd be all for trading a 3rd for Sutton. Eliminates the need to draft a WR and gives the team another type of physical WR it needs. Not only that, but the chemistry he has with Wilson is also another huge benefit.

It also lets the team focus on going C and LT in rounds 1 and 2 (however they want to make those picks), which is another big positive.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Sutton is an ideal add assuming:
1) The cost is a day three pick or two
2) He's cool with not signing an extension this offseason

Here's a good take on Sutton:

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Id be a little irritated if they traded a third for Sutton given some other WR trades we’ve seen.

He’s had 1 season over 1,000 yards and his cap hit won’t be particularly small. That smells like a day 3 pick swap or late day 3 pick to me.

Reactions: wheelz87 and Andy99

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I'd be all for trading a 3rd for Sutton. Eliminates the need to draft a WR and gives the team another type of physical WR it needs. Not only that, but the chemistry he has with Wilson is also another huge benefit.

It also lets the team focus on going C and LT in rounds 1 and 2 (however they want to make those picks), which is another big positive.
My only critique of that potential WR room is that there isn't really an easy separator (like Diontae) in that group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad