OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Some think JPJ is sliding and Barton might go higher than expected.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
We are closing in on the 119th pick, Steelers 4th round pick, in the HFBoards NFL Mock and these are the players we have picked so far:

20. Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
51. Kamari Lassiter, CB, Georgia
84. Jalen McMillan, WR, Washington
98. Blake Fisher, T, Notre Dame

These are the top players available at this time:

QB: Spencer Rattler, Michael Pratt, Jordan Travis
RB: Braelon Allen, Isaac Guerendo
WR: Malik Washington, Luke McCaffrey
DL: Leonard Taylor, McKinnley Jackson, Gabe Hall
LB: Trevin Wallace
CB: DJ James, Elijah Jones, Kamal Hadden
S: Dadrion Taylor-Demerson, Sione Vaki, Kitan Oladapo

My thought would be to go DL or Safety at this pick. The Steelers don't have a 5th round pick so the next pick isn't until Pick 178 and then they only have one pick left at 195. So after this pick it is only two 6th round picks left for the black and gold.

I’ve seen a little bit of hype around Taylor-Demerson so that’s probably where I’d lean.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Don't really know too much about the guys left available but agree we could be going DL with this pick so I'd vote for one of them.

I'm curious, if it's easy to look up, where did the two WR's Xavier Legette and Malachi Corley go in your mock?

Legette went 38th to the Titans. I am GM for them as well. I thought about trading up with them for the Steelers to get Legette. They do not have a 3rd round pick so I think they will look to trade down 8-10 spots to pick up a 3rd.

Corley went 69th.

Reactions: WickedWrister

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Legette went 38th to the Titans. I am GM for them as well. I thought about trading up with them for the Steelers to get Legette. They do not have a 3rd round pick so I think they will look to trade down 8-10 spots to pick up a 3rd.

Corley went 69th.
Legette’s lack of production prior to his 5th year is a big concern of mine, but man he sure was awesome this year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm coming around more to the idea of drafting Mims with their 1st and then going with the best available C in the 2nd round. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that they could get Mims in round 1 and Frazier in round 2, and while Frazier isn't JPJ he's still a good C prospect. The site I use for mock drafts actually has Frazier all the way down at 75.

Mims at 20 and Frazier at 52 would be my first 2 picks, and I'd try to trade up with both of their 3rds to get a late 2nd to draft a WR like Pearsall.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'm coming around more to the idea of drafting Mims with their 1st and then going with the best available C in the 2nd round. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that they could get Mims in round 1 and Frazier in round 2, and while Frazier isn't JPJ he's still a good C prospect. The site I use for mock drafts actually has Frazier all the way down at 75.

Mims at 20 and Frazier at 52 would be my first 2 picks, and I'd try to trade up with both of their 3rds to get a late 2nd to draft someone like Pearsall.
I’d be very happy if we ended up with Pearsall

Reactions: Empoleon8771

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Mims at 20 and Frazier at 52 would be my first 2 picks, and I'd try to trade up with both of their 3rds to get a late 2nd to draft a WR like Pearsall.

I have seen Frazier ranked anywhere from 30-90. It's takes one team, and I'll be really shocked if he makes it out of the top half of the 2nd round.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I’d be very happy if we ended up with Pearsall

Yeah from what I've read about Pearsall, he seems like just a good all around WR and football player. Good speed, good size and good physicality, while he's described as a "willing blocker" and very well developed already.

I don't know that he has WR1 upside or if he's more of a jack of all trades WR2 type, but either way that's a damn good WR to target in round 2. It's an especially good complement for a WR1 like Pickens IMO.

I have seen Frazier ranked anywhere from 30-90. It's takes one team, and I'll be really shocked if he makes it out of the top half of the 2nd round.

How many teams need a C right now, though? It does only take 1 team, but it's a position that I imagine most teams have addressed already.

If both JPJ and Frazier are gone by 52, they could also just try to recreate Georgia's OL by taking Van Pran with their 2nd as well. He's another center from Georgia projected to go in the late 2nd/early 3rd.

Reactions: T1K

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Yeah from what I've read about Pearsall, he seems like just a good all around WR and football player. Good speed, good size and good physicality, while he's described as a "willing blocker" and very well developed already.

I don't know that he has WR1 upside or if he's more of a jack of all trades WR2 type, but either way that's a damn good WR to target in round 2. It's an especially good complement for a WR1 like Pickens IMO.

How many teams need a C right now, though? It does only take 1 team, but it's a position that I imagine most teams have addressed already.

If both JPJ and Frazier are gone by 52, they could also just try to recreate Georgia's OL by taking Van Pran with their 2nd as well. He's another center from Georgia projected to go in the late 2nd/early 3rd.
Agreed. Pearsall strikes me as one of the safest WR picks outside of round 1. He was productive in college and tested well at the combine. Pickens has the WR1 ceiling we’re looking for as long as he can keep his cool.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017

Trading both 3rds would make me queasy.
I think you could still get a very good WR in the 3rd and a slot CB.
Now if we can use some of next season's draft capital to move up one of the 3rds, I'm all for it. They're going to have a ton of cap space to address needs next year and the draft will have somewhat less importance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat and T1K

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I don't know how many other places have suggested this but the most aggressive take (this from Jeremiah) I've seen on Frazier was him at 29 to Detroit to be a Guard initially. I dunno if any other scouts/talent evaluators are thinking this but if they are, it hugely increases his range.

I'd also add that SvP in the 2nd feels like a big old reach. I don't think I've seen him in the 2nd round of a mock for quite a while.

Reactions: Ulf5

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Quite a few, according to what I have read. We are probably the most needed. Chicago, Miami, Tampa, and Pittsburgh are the 4 immediate off the top of my head.

I wouldn't draft Van Pran. I don't see a whole lot of difference between him and Kendrick Green. I'd rather us take a big, stout C that can hold up in the AFC North.

I'm for taking any guy at 20...I'm not tied to C, but I will be very shocked if JPJ is available at 20 that he's not the best player there.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Quite a few, according to what I have read. We are probably the most needed. Chicago, Miami, Tampa, and Pittsburgh are the 4 immediate off the top of my head.

I wouldn't draft Van Pran. I don't see a whole lot of difference between him and Kendrick Green. I'd rather us take a big, stout C that can hold up in the AFC North.

I'm for taking any guy at 20...I'm not tied to C, but I will be very shocked if JPJ is available at 20 that he's not the best player there.
Miami signed Aaron Brewer but I think Chicago and Tampa could certainly take one. Fortunately the Bears don't pick until #75 after their two early firsts. Cowboys lost Biadasz to Washington.

We pick ahead of all those teams in the 2nd but yeah you can never rule out a trade up.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Miami signed Aaron Brewer but I think Chicago and Tampa could certainly take one. Fortunately the Bears don't pick until #75 after their two early firsts. Cowboys lost Biadasz to Washington.

We pick ahead of all those teams in the 2nd but yeah you can never rule out a trade up.

Lot of smoke about Chicago looking to move down from 9 to pick up more assets. Also if we're talking trade around scenarios, if the Steelers are in blatant "we need a C territory" then that increases the likelihood of another team thinking "can't wait, jump ahead of them".

For everyone wanting to play "Where In The Draft is Zach Frazier", this is a handy summation of some of his more recent projections

Out of the 8 it cites - 3 come before 50, 3 are in the 50s, 2 are after.

Reactions: Ulf5

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't know how many other places have suggested this but the most aggressive take (this from Jeremiah) I've seen on Frazier was him at 29 to Detroit to be a Guard initially. I dunno if any other scouts/talent evaluators are thinking this but if they are, it hugely increases his range.

I'd also add that SvP in the 2nd feels like a big old reach. I don't think I've seen him in the 2nd round of a mock for quite a while.

Just riffing on my own point here but -

The Athletic's consensus big board records Frazier as a G/C.

The highest ranked pure G is at 59.

Then you look at that report on Barton maybe gaining steam.

It's just another wrinkle but it confirms what I feel - half the time Frazier is there, half the time he isn't.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Just riffing on my own point here but -

The Athletic's consensus big board records Frazier as a G/C.

The highest ranked pure G is at 59.

Then you look at that report on Barton maybe gaining steam.

It's just another wrinkle but it confirms what I feel - half the time Frazier is there, half the time he isn't.

Woth a lot of smoke that Barton can convert to C and also JPJ seeming to be slipping a bit i think that helps Frazier fall. Not many teams need a C.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

Carolina needs a C, that is where he was picked in the HFBoards mock, at 33.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Carolina needs a C, that is where he was picked in the HFBoards mock, at 33.
Yeah that's a good call. They don't pick in the 1st round but pick twice before us in the 2nd at 33 and 39.

Maybe trade up somewhere between those picks if they pass on him at 33.

51 + 98 + 2025 5th for pick 38 is probably in the ballpark.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Dallas keeps trading up in the mock sims for my 20th and taking JPJ lol.

They lost their Pro Bowl center Tyler Biadasz to the Commanders which is why I can’t see JPJ making it past 24, but who knows.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Woth a lot of smoke that Barton can convert to C and also JPJ seeming to be slipping a bit i think that helps Frazier fall. Not many teams need a C.

But my point is that these guys are getting linked to teams that need Gs more than Cs and it's not as simple as which teams need a C.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Yeah it's easy as a HOFer. We just watched some of the worst center play in the league over the last 5 years. I beg to differ with Kelce's assessment. Once the center of the line collapses, it's all over. Once a C is snapping balls all over the place, it's over.

I'll die on this hill. I'd actually move up for JPJ if they think he's immediately a top 5 center and don't even think twice.

I agree with this take. Regardless of what level of football (HS, NCAA, NFL) if you have a subpar C it affects the entire line and can screw up cadences. Ik center isn’t a “sexy” position by any means but imo it’s just as important as a LT.

Also since this thread has gone bat shit with all kinds of takes, and the big one, not taking a C in the 1st rd, did we all forget the immediate impact Pouncey had on this team? Who was selected with the 18th pick in 2010?

Reactions: Night Shift and JTG

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
But my point is that these guys are getting linked to teams that need Gs more than Cs and it's not as simple as which teams need a C.
Its never that simple, but overall id be willing to take risk on a C falling to at least the 40s. The generally do, plus having deep classes at premium positions might pish an extra OT etc in front of the line

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Its never that simple, but overall id be willing to take risk on a C falling to at least the 40s. The generally do, plus having deep classes at premium positions might pish an extra OT etc in front of the line

Fair enough but to state the obvious, a C falling into the 40s doesn't help the Steelers unless they want to trade up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad