GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Some guys can take the abuse for a while, but eventually it catches up to them. It might not be this year, but eventually, it will. Having a capable backup RB to either spell Harris and/or to step in if Harris gets hurt shouldn't really be a controversial opinion. They neglected it again, though, because they thought Ben was still going to throw it 50+ times a game and they just needed Harris to stay healthy and be more effective than Connor was. Now that they've transitioned to a more balanced attack, they are putting it all on Harris. They could have maybe kept Connor. Peterson was just signed off the street. Ingram went for a 7th. There's always that Blount or Williams guy available, but they chose to roll the dice that Harris would stay healthy. Fingers crossed, I guess.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
On Harris and his usage ... I just don't want them to run him into the ground this season when it won't make any difference in the end result. An injury from this throwaway season that causes later problems when he'll actually be needed is terrible asset management.

Reactions: Peat

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
On Harris and his usage ... I just don't want them to run him into the ground this season when it won't make any difference in the end result. An injury from this throwaway season that causes later problems when he'll actually be needed is terrible asset management.

No NFL coach sitting in a playoff spot or even in outside playoff contention is going to sit player for the sake of asset management. Particularly asset management issue that wont even rear its head for years.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
Serious question...

There are so many injuries at the RB position year after year. Gore, Lynch, and AP are the only RBs I can think of from a recent era that have lasted through time at the top of the depth chart. It seems like other RBs fizzle due to injuries within 5 or so years. They might stick around as journeyman backups but they're largely irrelevant.

We're concerned that our rookie RB will get worn down within his rookie deal like most other RBs have gotten worn down. How did RBs like Bettis, Eddie George, Emmitt Smith, Martin, Edgerrin James, Fred Taylor, Faulk, Barber, and Dillon all last a decade or more as productive players across several contracts - all within roughly the same era (a heavy rushing era also)?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
No NFL coach sitting in a playoff spot or even in outside playoff contention is going to sit player for the sake of asset management. Particularly asset management issue that wont even rear its head for years.

I'm not saying he should sit. I'm saying don't run him into the center of the line 25 times a game. There are other backs on the roster that can/should get some snaps to give him a break.

And there are absolutely situations where other teams put players on a snap count.

Reactions: Night Shift

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I'm not saying he should sit. I'm saying don't run him into the center of the line 25 times a game. There are other backs on the roster that can/should get some snaps to give him a break.

And there are absolutely situations where other teams put players on a snap count.

Sure its their general philosophy to split their backfield. Not to save them for 3 years from now.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

Yeah normal teams (HCs) have someone else of quality to sub in and out to take the load off, use in situational packages.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Serious question...

There are so many injuries at the RB position year after year. Gore, Lynch, and AP are the only RBs I can think of from a recent era that have lasted through time at the top of the depth chart. It seems like other RBs fizzle due to injuries within 5 or so years. They might stick around as journeyman backups but they're largely irrelevant.

We're concerned that our rookie RB will get worn down within his rookie deal like most other RBs have gotten worn down. How did RBs like Bettis, Eddie George, Emmitt Smith, Martin, Edgerrin James, Fred Taylor, Faulk, Barber, and Dillon all last a decade or more as productive players across several contracts - all within roughly the same era (a heavy rushing era also)?

Some in the media are blaming the increase of injuries (in genreal not just RB) because training camp today is less physical, not enough hitting during the summer or at practice during the season. Another factor is so many players today over train their bodies than players in past eras, causing the body to give out.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Some in the media are blaming the increase of injuries (in genreal not just RB) because training camp today is less physical, not enough hitting during the summer or at practice during the season. Another factor is so many players today over train their bodies than players in past eras, causing the body to give out.
This was my thought. I've got nothing to support it, but it seems like guys are redlining their bodies to be a fraction of a step faster or slightly stronger. Eventually your body is going to give out. This then also translates to the field where everyone is bigger and faster.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Sure its their general philosophy to split their backfield. Not to save them for 3 years from now.

It may be their philosophy, but it's not happening in practice. The 2nd half of the bengals game is a great example. Wasn't necessarily runs, but he was getting hung out on dump offs all over the place while down by like 17 pts. That game was done and we just kept going to him every play.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
It may be their philosophy, but it's not happening in practice. The 2nd half of the bengals game is a great example. Wasn't necessarily runs, but he was getting hung out on dump offs all over the place while down by like 17 pts. That game was done and we just kept going to him every play.

This is more a Tomlin thing than a league wide thing. It was all funny and stuff years ago when he said to the media about running Willie Parker's wheels off. I don't think WP lasted much longer after that.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
This is more a Tomlin thing than a league wide thing. It was all funny and stuff years ago when he said to the media about running Willie Parker's wheels off. I don't think WP lasted much longer after that.

It really is a league wide thing. If a team has an elite running back (CMC, Dalvin Cook, Henry, Barkley, Kamara, etc.), they give them the ball a ton. And most get injured. Tomlin tries to do it with any running back he has, which as we saw with Conner was stupid. But most teams would be using Harris like this. It’s not really unique to the Steelers.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Agree… but was it worth it? They’re still in the thick of things even if they’re not a true contender and if Highsmith or Watt go down again, they don’t have anyone to take their place who’s as good as Ingram
Ingram has 1 sack and 10 tackles in more snaps than Highsmith they can get that from anyone. He said he was better than Highsmith and wanted to start.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Agree… but was it worth it? They’re still in the thick of things even if they’re not a true contender and if Highsmith or Watt go down again, they don’t have anyone to take their place who’s as good as Ingram

Again, Ingram wasn't happy because he wasn't seeing the field like he was promised. That's where you create packages to sub these guys in and out, but Bozo the coach is a stooge and won't do it.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Ingram has 1 sack and 10 tackles in more snaps than Highsmith they can get that from anyone. He said he was better than Highsmith and wanted to start.

so what? That wasn’t my point…if our starters go down, is Ingram better than the guy they signed from the practice squad?…that’s the only issue…so far, when he’s played, he’s certainly played better than the other backups…

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
It really is a league wide thing. If a team has an elite running back (CMC, Dalvin Cook, Henry, Barkley, Kamara, etc.), they give them the ball a ton. And most get injured. Tomlin tries to do it with any running back he has, which as we saw with Conner was stupid. But most teams would be using Harris like this. It’s not really unique to the Steelers.

As I said the Saints traded for Ingram to take some of the load off from Kamara. Getting a 2nd string RB that can take a few snaps is the smartest thing you can do.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
As I said the Saints traded for Ingram to take some of the load off from Kamara. Getting a 2nd string RB that can take a few snaps is the smartest thing you can do.

Kamara is still going to be near the top of the league in touches whether they actually use Ingram or not. They’re consistently near the top of the league in attempts and Kamara is also their best receiver at this point.

Again, Ingram wasn't happy because he wasn't seeing the field like he was promised. That's where you create packages to sub these guys in and out, but Bozo the coach is a stooge and won't do it.

He got signed to be a backup and got played like a backup. He had one week all year with less than 49% of the snaps and threw a hissy fit.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
IIRC Blount also wanted out for the same reason because Bozo is a stooge, did not create a package to get him in more and doesn't understand the concept of subbing in and out.
Why do that when you can just give the ball to Bell 350+ times? What's the worst that can happen? You go into the playoffs with Ben Tate and Josh Harris as your only healthy RB's? What are the chances of that?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Kamara is still going to be near the top of the league in touches whether they actually use Ingram or not. They’re consistently near the top of the league in attempts and Kamara is also their best receiver at this point.
It still reduces the risk and they'll be glad they have a legitimate backup if Kamara does get hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad