Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
nfl_rooney07_800.jpg

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The Steelers drafted some high quality people first and foremost this draft. I wasn't excited going into this draft, I am now looking forward to the upcoming season.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Steelers drafted a cancer survivor and the Bengals drafted a woman beater.

I know the days of the Steelers being able to take the high road are generally in the past, but not completely...

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
comparing ourselves to the Bengals certainly makes it easier :laugh:

I'm seeing a lot of complaining about the Conner pick all over different message boards. But there is a reason why the Steelers have 6 SB's and the Bengals have 0.

The Bengals have a team filled with headcases and they wonder why they meltdown when things get tough.

It's like Cowher always said nearly every week in his PC's; "you don't judge someones character when things are going well, you see their true character when times get tough".

I would have been happy with James Conner getting drafted by the Steelers in the 1st round because I am confident when it's all said and done, that will be his value to the team.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm seeing a lot of complaining about the Conner pick all over different message boards. But there is a reason why the Steelers have 6 SB's and the Bengals have 0.

The Bengals have a team filled with headcases and they wonder why they meltdown when things get tough.

It's like Cowher always said nearly every week in his PC's; "you don't judge someones character when things are going well, you see their true character when times get tough".

I would have been happy with James Conner getting drafted by the Steelers in the 1st round because I am confident when it's all said and done, that will be his value to the team.

I don't follow Pitt, why did Conner slip so far? Was it the knee injury and cancer?

Wasn't he a TD machine and avg like 5.2 ypc?

What am I missing here?

He doesn't look slow on the film I've glanced over, but that's just YT scouting so it means jack all.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I don't follow Pitt, why did Conner slip so far? Was it the knee injury and cancer?

What am I missing here?

He doesn't look slow on the film I've glanced over, but that's just YT scouting so it means jack all.

A combination of all of that plus a loaded backs class.

I'm surprised Lawson is still available.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

What am I missing here?

Who knows, I think these scouts are all inbred and they will group-think a players perceived value and it then becomes cemented in stone. Did he look like he was back to his Sophomore level last year, no. But I think the reasons are more complicated than just his medical issues. Pitt changed their offense the year Conner sat out and while he was still a huge part of the teams success last year, he no longer ran out of a pro set.

I'll tell you this, I have watched Pitt live multiple times the past several years since I live in the Southeast. And I have drooled over the thought of getting Conner for 4 years. But I have always been a sucker for power backs who move the chains, so I may be biased a tad.

I believe the Steelers got the STEAL of the draft with Conner.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I was just taking a jab at the Bengals. I have absolutely no idea about any football prospects. I don't watch or follow college sports even a little bit. I couldn't have told you who Conner was or that he even existed 24 hours ago.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Who knows, I think these scouts are all inbred and they will group-think a players perceived value and it then becomes cemented in stone. Did he look like he was back to his Sophomore level last year, no. But I think the reasons are more complicated than just his medical issues. Pitt changed their offense the year Conner sat out and while he was still a huge part of the teams success last year, he no longer ran out of a pro set.

I'll tell you this, I have watched Pitt live multiple times the past several years since I live in the Southeast. And I have drooled over the thought of getting Conner for 4 years. But I have always been a sucker for power backs who move the chains, so I may be biased a tad.

I believe the Steelers got the STEAL of the draft with Conner.

I read his scouting report and expected him to be some plugger...

He doesn't look any slower than Bell, who never had breakaway speed. I dunno, I'll have to get a more informed look at him in pre-season, but his numbers and highlights are pretty impressive.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I was just taking a jab at the Bengals. I have absolutely no idea about any football prospects. I don't watch or follow college sports even a little bit. I couldn't have told you who Conner was or that he even existed 24 hours ago.

That's ok, I was simply using your comment as vehicle to go on my rant.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Interesting... surprised they actually went QB despite all the talk ther.e I don't really like it, but we'll see. Hopefully he captures his upside and pans out.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Well, there's something to be said about having a smart QB...shouldn't take more than two practices for Dobbs to show that he's better than Jones...he may even be able to learn what defense is!

That said he's not going to be more than a back-up if his accuracy doesn't greatly improve, and that's one of those things that is really tough to learn. Without that massive flaw he'd have been off the board long ago...it'll be tough to overcome, but there's no reason why he can't at least be a very good back-up, which is really what you should be expecting out of a 4th round QB to begin with.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
I don't like this pick. Unless he becomes a legit starter quality player he'll ride the bench for most of his career. I rather have a position player that will actually contribute on the field, like an ILB or TE.

And let's be honest, Landry Jones is an average back-up QB. What purpose exactly will Dobbs serve? It's unlikely he'll be better than Landry, let alone be a starter once Ben retires.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Great.. now my grandmother will confuse Dobbs and Shazier every chance she gets.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
I preferred Kaaya personally thanks to his reviews and that he ran a pro style offense at Miami. Dobbs has all the tools including great athleticism. I don't see him being stud QB but who knows, maybe he is the next Russell Wilson/Dak Prescott. At worst he should be a big improvement at backup and we can get rid of Landry next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad