The Pittsburgh Perspective: Disciplinary Coaching

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Agree with what a lot that is being said here. The pens don't need a ******* like Tortorella, they just can't be at the other end of the rainbow either. They need a middle ground.

IMO the perfect coach for the Pens is coaching against them in this series. Great at the X's and O's, keeps players honest while still having a firm hand.

I actually think Bylsma is OK in terms of attitude. He has the respect of his players and I don't think he's as much of a players coach as people think. He just doesn't run to the papers to get it done.

IMO that attitude is the best thing he brings to the team. I hate the funnel offense, puck management and in game adjustments. I actually think he's gotten better at adjusting in games this year but ths should have happened in 2011.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
There are a lot of coaches in the league that I can't get a read on if they're disciplinary or not. Namely Quenneville. He seems like a ball buster in interviews and clips but he's had surprising longevity.

I'd prefer a coach that communicates coherently over lashing out or dragging players through the mud in the media. Something more cerebral. There should be no better motivator than the risk of taking away ice time.

I think the new Quenville might be less of a hard-ass than he once was. IOW he found the magic answer: being a "player's coach" like Bylsma, and being a hard ass all the time, doesn't work. You have to mix the two and know exactly when to be which guy, depending on what's happening with the team. I think Q still has his moments during the season (you can see it on the bench -- unlike Bylsma he actually shows some anger and emotion from time to time, verifying that he is in fact human), but he knows when to back off.

That was the lesson Therrien hadn't learned yet in Pittsburgh, probably. When to back off. Although in his case the team clearly dohn care.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Reaching dubious conclusions doesn't mean there was a lack of effort. Like I said, DB's decision-making and stubbornness can be called into question.

Talking about a lack of work ethic from the coaches when there's been nothing but first-hand testimony suggesting the exact opposite is just throwing **** at a wall. They put in the time, they just have some goofy ideas and are overly loyal to certain horses fit for the glue factory.

I agree.

Any coach in any of the 4 major sports have great work ethics, you don't become a coach or manager of a team without a great work ethic.

The only exception might be a guy like Gretzky who was just given a job because of who he is.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Bylsma's work ethic may actually work against him. He invests a lot of time in studying videos and making his battle plan, probably that's why he is then too confident in it or too stubborn to adjust. But work ethic doesn't equal coaching smarts.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Bylsma's work ethic may actually work against him. He invests a lot of time in studying videos and making his battle plan, probably that's why he is then too confident in it or too stubborn to adjust. But work ethic doesn't equal coaching smarts.

Solid analysis. Very possible that's the case. And why he's made some peculiar adjustments like taking Iggy off the top unit last year before the opposition even showed they could take it away. And why he often takes 2-3 games in a series to make obvious adjustments.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Players both with the Pens and Team USA have done nothing but praise the level of detail and preparedness Bylsma brings.

You can question his decision-making or his stubbornness, but never his work ethic. I have no idea what would even lead somebody to that conclusion.

All I know is that he surely isn't spending his time evaluating his own team very well, and seems to run the same system against almost every team......with little adjustments.

Tanner Glass :laugh:

djt153

Dec 26, 2003

this is so true. life isnt fair and the best prepared person doesnt automatically beat an ill prepared but naturally gifted person. obviously, you want the best of both worlds, but one feature isnt innately better than the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad