The Pittsburgh Penguins continue to dominate with almost no Ontario-born players

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
Matt Murray is the obvious exception, although they have been great with Fleury as well. Other than that, Ontario is repped only by filler forward Scott Wilson and vet D Trevor Daley. That's it, that's all. Hockey history-wise, that's pretty big. Lots of Americans, too.

HitoftheMillennium*

Jan 23, 2016
I'm not taking anything away from the Penguins, but they aren't "dominating."

Last year's team was quite dominant in the playoffs. This year's isn't.

Their Corsi Close % after two rounds was atrocious. I'm sure it went up during the series versus OTT, but they could easily have lost that match-up.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
*shrugs*

It matters not where players are born and the Penguins really haven't been close to dominating in these playoffs.

Plus Matt Murray is pretty important, even if it was the Québécois goalie who did the heavy lifting the first 2 1/2 rounds.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
is not having a lot of players from ontario that good?

for those of us not super aware of certain regions can someone explain?

Pharrell Williams

watch me whip and nae nae
Sep 15, 2013
a particular place or position.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
They have more Ontario born players then Aberta, BC, Manitoba, Minneapolis, Sweden, Russia and many other big hockey hotbeds.

Whats the point of this thread?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Not sure why it matters that much, assuming it might be a Canadian province rivalry thing.

I do think the pens have concentrated a lot on NCAA players for no other reason than they feel they're undervalued. Guys like Guentzel, Sheary, Rust, Dumoulin are all NCAA hockey guys and have ended up providing great depth for the pens.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
They have more Ontario born players then Aberta, BC, Manitoba, Minneapolis, Sweden, Russia and many other big hockey hotbeds.

What it should be on face value: A statistical outlier.
Move this to the numbers board.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Matt Murray does kind of play a big role for the team one has to suspect.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
The best players generally come from Ontario but you don't necessarily need a lot of players from Ontario to be good. Thought this was just common sense.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Matt Murray carried the team in the playoffs this year. Pen's haven't been great, lets be honest. Fluery although decent the first couple playoff games, really **** the bed before he got pulled. Didn't he let in like 5 goals in 5 minutes in that one period. Murray has been stellar. Murray counts as at least 3 rotational ontario players himself.

Just talking outta my ass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
*shrugs*

It matters not where players are born and the Penguins really haven't been close to dominating in these playoffs.

Plus Matt Murray is pretty important, even if it was the Québécois goalie who did the heavy lifting the first 2 1/2 rounds.

This. I found the Senators way more fun to watch when we had a ton of Europeans mixed in with Canadians and so on. It's good to have a mix.
Glad our cap is a Swede, but losing Rundblad for Turris still stings a ton.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Odd, you list Canadian provinces, and entire countries and one lone city?

If you meant the state of Minnesota... Cullen and Guentzel both hail from Minnesota.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Well there you have it, it's possible to win without half your roster being from Ontario. Never would have guessed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad