The Philly Flu: Who had it?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
One of the most enduring legends of 70s hockey is the "Philly Flu". It was during the height of the Broad Street Bullies intimidation tactics that supposedly some opposition players were so afraid of playing against the Flyers that they would conveniently come down with the flu when a game against them came up, causing them to either miss the game, or play but be very tentative and inneffective.

But for all the talk about it, there's very little evidence of any specific players who had it. You can find the odd anecdote. For example, in the Gary Mason book Oldtimers there's a story about once before a faceoff, Bobby Clarke looked at a young Pierre Larouche and said "If you touch the puck, we'll kill you." To which Larouche supposedly replied "No problem. The puck is all yours, Bobby."

I did a bit of digging through 70s articles and clippings, and the only reference to it I could find was Harold Ballard publicly accusing Inge Hammastrom of having it. But I don't put much faith in anything that comes from Ballard.

During the period from '73 to '76 when the Flyers "goon" style was at its peak, there were some teams whose records against Philly were far lower than usual. For example, Buffalo (4-18-2), Toronto (4-21-4), Vancouver (2-15-3), St. Louis (4-15-2). The Flyers owned those teams, and their rough style probably played a huge factor in that. But were there any actual players who could be singled out for avoiding them?

I find the notion that a team would tolerate a player "calling in sick" on a regular basis against a certain opponent highly doubtful. Though there certainly had to be guys who were too intimidated to play well against them.

My question is if anybody knows of specific players who could be called the most chronic victims of this so-called affliction, or is it something that's been a bit exaggerated over the years?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Exaggerated

One of the most enduring legends of 70s hockey is the "Philly Flu". It was during the height of the Broad Street Bullies intimidation tactics that supposedly some opposition players were so afraid of playing against the Flyers that they would conveniently come down with the flu when a game against them came up, causing them to either miss the game, or play but be very tentative and inneffective.

But for all the talk about it, there's very little evidence of any specific players who had it. You can find the odd anecdote. For example, in the Gary Mason book Oldtimers there's a story about once before a faceoff, Bobby Clarke looked at a young Pierre Larouche and said "If you touch the puck, we'll kill you." To which Larouche supposedly replied "No problem. The puck is all yours, Bobby."

I did a bit of digging through 70s articles and clippings, and the only reference to it I could find was Harold Ballard publicly accusing Inge Hammastrom of having it. But I don't put much faith in anything that comes from Ballard.

During the period from '73 to '76 when the Flyers "goon" style was at its peak, there were some teams whose records against Philly were far lower than usual. For example, Buffalo (4-18-2), Toronto (4-21-4), Vancouver (2-15-3), St. Louis (4-15-2). The Flyers owned those teams, and their rough style probably played a huge factor in that. But were there any actual players who could be singled out for avoiding them?

I find the notion that a team would tolerate a player "calling in sick" on a regular basis against a certain opponent highly doubtful. Though there certainly had to be guys who were too intimidated to play well against them.

My question is if anybody knows of specific players who could be called the most chronic victims of this so-called affliction, or is it something that's been a bit exaggerated over the years?

Exaggerated. Most of the NHL players from the era played in the QMJHL/OHL/WHL where brawls and intimidation was the norm.

Pierre Larouche, as an example played in Sorel for Rodrigue Lemoyne at the Cardin where intimidation was commonplace.

What surprised many hockey fans from Quebec was that Dave Schultz was considered a tough guy. Schultz finished his junior career in the old MMJHL, last season before the formation of the QMJHL, playing for the same Sorel team that Larouche later played for:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/s/schulda01.html

and he was badly beaten in fights by Kevin Morrison and a few others.

Vancouver and St. Louis had similar weak records against Montreal. Toronto and Buffalo had problems against teams that were very disciplined defensively as the Flyers were.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
Needless to say "the Philly Flu" is not something that most players of the time would ever own up to, or for that matter share stories of, even now years after their retirement from the game.

However, I have talked to many players of the time and when asked about "the Philly Flu" they will confirm it's existence (with examples) but only off the record. Because of that I will not name those who suffered from "the flu" but will only say that it did exist and was more common than many want to believe.

For example, a long-time Toronto Maple Leafs once admitted and I quote "If any player says they weren`t scared playing Philly, then they aren`t telling the truth."

There are countless examples of players coming down with "fake injuries" before playing Philly in those years, told by many rookies who were pressed into action as their replacements. Trust me.

Also in talking to some of the reporters of the time, I have also been privy to many other examples of "the Philly flu", some of them including players who reside in the hallowed halls of the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

KingJoyal

Feb 4, 2010
A lot of players probably contracted the "Philly Flu" after what happened to Barry Cummins.

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
Peter Bronfman once remarked to Red Fisher about Jacques Lemaire's chances of coming down with the Flu and he asked for an explanation.Lemaire ended up getting a hat trick at the Spectrum, and Bronfman sheepishly told Fisher to kindly disregard anymore of his hockey analysis.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
As a long time season ticket holder, I always thought that some members of the mid-70's Rangers were more than a little soft.

As for players not from the 70's I always lost some respect for Lemieux and Jagr. Two of the all-time greats, but two who on a number of occasions would bail on games in Philly if they were trailing by 2 goals or more. All of a sudden they would be "rested" or a minor injury would come up and they wouldn't play in the 2nd half of the game or the 3rd period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad