Post-Game Talk: The PGT where I didn’t even watch the game

KickHimPedro

Dec 10, 2011
Everyone has their own opinions. Personally I love Jack Michaels. I tend to get easily annoyed by commentators. He should annoy me, but I think he’s great. His excitement level during the game is great. He seems very knowledgeable. I actually laugh at his stupid quips. He’s at a 10/10 excitement for at least half the game and I love it. I’ll go as far as to say he’s one of the best commentators I’ve ever heard. Serious.

On the flip side, he’s getting better but Singh is one of the worst I’ve ever heard. It boggles my mind he gets the national assignments over Michaels.

I don’t mind Louie. I think he’s solid. He kind of tempers Michaels which is good. He is not good with Singh though. Zero chemistry. Zzzz

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
I couldnt agree more....good for you for posting this. It needs to be said.

The Jack and Louie talk fest is ruining the games. I was going to time how many minutes of the game where this undynamic duo were actually calling the play by play. I would guess that its about 30% of the actual time.
Used car salesman is a perfect description of Jack. Even his goal calls are brutal..."tips it home"..."and its in"..."and were tied"....etc. Its like he is trying to dazzle the viewers with the multitude of ways he can mix up words to call a goal. Then he gets ultra excited going into commerical breaks. Used car salesman indeed. As for Louie...I have no idea why he is even a color man. Its not about the play anymore...its about a whole bunch of other crap that only Louie and Jack care about.
I have tried watching the game with no sound but its just not the same. I appreciate the added elements of good play by play and color.
So I endure that 2nd rate broadcasting duo as much as possible. I sometimes find myself fast forwarding just so I dont have to listen to their endless nattering while the play goes on. I have wondered to myself if this is just the new way of broadcasting hockey...until I hear the other teams broadcast. Then I realize its just that Sportsnet standards are just so low.
The only thing I will say about Singh (who I dont really enjoy all that much) is that at least he tries to call the play most of the time.

This is a sad time in terms of broadcasting Oilers games and to think that these McDavid years are lost to that pathetic broadcast duo...just brutal. /rant

I may have to drop Sportsnet and purchase the NHL package. Seems like the way to go.
And Jack's chipmunk giggle is just the icing on the cake!

• Haha
Reactions: guymez and harpoon

KickHimPedro

Dec 10, 2011
I’d love to know how Louie really feels about Michaels. Sometimes I get the feeling they’re pretty tight, but other times I get the impression he can barely tolerate his adderall’d little buddy. Which makes me like him even more lol.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I was going to time how many minutes of the game where this undynamic duo were actually calling the play by play.
It’s a symptom of the age and not confined to sports broadcasting. Remember when people used to watch the news to hear the ‘news’? Good luck with that now. These days it’s just a bunch of talking (air)heads competing to be the most clever, most outrageous, best dressed, most re-tweeted etc. Completely lost the plot when it comes to fulfilling the actual job description. Oh well.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
Early in the season (may have been preseason) sportsnet messed something up and all there was hockey and hockey sounds. It was serene.
I remember that was meant to be an option with hockey streaming but as far as I know it is not available :(
I remember how horrific the skates-on-ice sounds were on CBC. It was brutal and actually would interfere with the play call. It was louder than I ever remember hearing those sounds when actually playing hockey.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Even Pickard is 3-1 under this team and has better GAA and has a better save% then Skinner at this point.

Yeah Skinner has played a bit better but credit the team more than him. He’s still the slowest goalie in the league, his rebound control is the worst I have ever seen, he can’t react fast at all.

Until Skinner can move and control rebounds he will never win this team the ultimate prize which is the cup.

Reactions: Canovin

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Even Pickard is 3-1 under this team and has better GAA and has a better save% then Skinner at this point.

Yeah Skinner has played a bit better but credit the team more than him. He’s still the slowest goalie in the league, his rebound control is the worst I have ever seen, he can’t react fast at all.

Until Skinner can move and control rebounds he will never win this team the ultimate prize which is the cup.
Good grief, man!

It's comments like this that destroy my faith in Oilers' fandom.

Stu Skinner is not a perfect, goalie, no. Neither is any goalie in the NHL today. They ALL have bad moments and have them regularly (anyone see the goals scored against Ottawa at Vancouver the other night? Absolutely pathetic, and made Ron Low and John Garrett in the 80s look like Jacques Plante and Dominik Hasek).

I agree that Skinner has rebound-control issues. Luckily, this is something that can be worked on and will probably improve.

You know, I watched the San Jose broadcast of the Sharks / Oilers game the other night, and their play-by-play guy went on about Skinner a few times, saying how he'd had such a fabulous rookie season, but had had a tough first dozen or so games, but also that he'd totally turned it around and was back on form now. Even the San Jose guy understood that when clubs are struggling, a young goalie can also struggle for short periods. Some Oilers' fans don't get this, which is weird to me.

I think Oilers sometimes need a reality check about goalies. A goalie does not need to be traded or sent to the minors after one or two bad games.

These are Skinner's numbers over last season in entirety (50 GP) and this season from Nov. 10th to now (18 GP). So, this is over 68 games played, of which he was given the decision in 65:

Record: 43W - 17L - 5(OT/SO L)
Save percentage: 91.3%

Yet he had an 85.4% in his first eight games this season, and some fans have decided to judge him by that for the rest of his life.

So, you decide if 8 games from a young goalie backing a slumping team, or the other 68 are more indicative of his likely future play (especially when he almost certainly hasn't peaked yet).

By the way, since Nov,. 24th, Skinner is 11 - 2 - 0, with a 92.3%.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I think majority of us were already saying it entering this season. Just maintain league average goaltending and the team would likely win a lot more than they'd lose. It just sucked that the first 5ish weeks, team was utter trash goalie wise
I think the reduction in high danger chances against have also helped the goalie stats.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Since January 1, 2023 we are 40-1-2 in all games that we have had over .900 SV%. Just looked at it manually looking back at game sheets.

Don't have time now to go back to before Jan 1, 2023, but I suspect we'll see more of the same. Even considering all the other parts of the team that we consider a problem or not ideal, we are essentially unbeatable over .900.
Would be interesting to know what the record is league-wide.

Reactions: nally

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Agreed with all of the above. Not to mention that Jack's voice brings back way too many cringey memories of the Decade of Darkness.
Funny enough, this is the reason why I actually like Jack on our broadcast. I became an Oilers fan sometime around 2010 (I would have been 9 years old) and so Jack was the radio guy for a lot of my core Oilers memories, good or bad (although more of them come from the TV broadcasts of course).

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Funny enough, this is the reason why I actually like Jack on our broadcast. I became an Oilers fan sometime around 2010 (I would have been 9 years old) and so Jack was the radio guy for a lot of my core Oilers memories, good or bad (although more of them come from the TV broadcasts of course).

And for me, I became a fan in December 2005 when Rod was still calling the games. Simple, straightforward, and genuine without all the contrived screaming salesman shtick.

Reactions: Biltmore and guymez

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
It takes us to TDL at least. I think we still need somebody. There is likely however to be a lot of games coming up against relatively weaker competition where teams will have trouble scoring against us no matter who is in net.

A bit OT but the Kings have two more weeks of in hell games coming up and the Oilers have comparitively easy Schedule. This month we possibly pass the Kings.

Vamos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Team is rolling. Let's make hay.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Would be interesting to know what the record is league-wide.

I would love to know that too, but that's above my pay grade to figure out unfortunately.

I believe that current average SV% in the league is just a sniff above .900, so I can only assume that it's definitely far less than a .930 winning %, but probably somewhere in the .600/.700 range.

Reactions: Fishy McScales

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I would love to know that too, but that's above my pay grade to figure out unfortunately.

I believe that current average SV% in the league is just a sniff above .900, so I can only assume that it's definitely far less than a .930 winning %, but probably somewhere in the .600/.700 range.
Just manually go through every other teams game sheets and let us know.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Good grief, man!

It's comments like this that destroy my faith in Oilers' fandom.

Stu Skinner is not a perfect, goalie, no. Neither is any goalie in the NHL today. They ALL have bad moments and have them regularly (anyone see the goals scored against Ottawa at Vancouver the other night? Absolutely pathetic, and made Ron Low and John Garrett in the 80s look like Jacques Plante and Dominik Hasek).

I agree that Skinner has rebound-control issues. Luckily, this is something that can be worked on and will probably improve.

You know, I watched the San Jose broadcast of the Sharks / Oilers game the other night, and their play-by-play guy went on about Skinner a few times, saying how he'd had such a fabulous rookie season, but had had a tough first dozen or so games, but also that he'd totally turned it around and was back on form now. Even the San Jose guy understood that when clubs are struggling, a young goalie can also struggle for short periods. Some Oilers' fans don't get this, which is weird to me.

I think Oilers sometimes need a reality check about goalies. A goalie does not need to be traded or sent to the minors after one or two bad games.

These are Skinner's numbers over last season in entirety (50 GP) and this season from Nov. 10th to now (18 GP). So, this is over 68 games played, of which he was given the decision in 65:

Record: 43W - 17L - 5(OT/SO L)
Save percentage: 91.3%

Yet he had an 85.4% in his first eight games this season, and some fans have decided to judge him by that for the rest of his life.

So, you decide if 8 games from a young goalie backing a slumping team, or the other 68 are more indicative of his likely future play (especially when he almost certainly hasn't peaked yet).

By the way, since Nov,. 24th, Skinner is 11 - 2 - 0, with a 92.3%.
I know the numbers well, I also watched Skinner get lit right up in the playoffs last year and was the main reason we lost to the knights. Luckily Campbell came in and beat the Kings. All the same reasons last year in the playoffs, can’t move, doesn’t react and brutal rebound control.

Yeah he’s had a couple better starts in his last 15 games, but credit shouldn’t go all to him for the same reasons as Pickard is 3-1 and a better save% then Skinner.

Like I said Skinner has all the same problems, and they aren’t just small problems, it’s a reason I see no potential. Not being able to move in net is a Koski level goaltender. Not good enough for the ultimate prize.

Reactions: Keggatron

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I know the numbers well, I also watched Skinner get lit right up in the playoffs last year and was the main reason we lost to the knights. Luckily Campbell came in and beat the Kings. All the same reasons last year in the playoffs, can’t move, doesn’t react and brutal rebound control.

Yeah he’s had a couple better starts in his last 15 games, but credit shouldn’t go all to him for the same reasons as Pickard is 3-1 and a better save% then Skinner.

Like I said Skinner has all the same problems, and they aren’t just small problems, it’s a reason I see no potential. Not being able to move in net is a Koski level goaltender. Not good enough for the ultimate prize.
So Pickard gets credit but skinner doesn’t.

You’re aware they are playing behind the same defense right?

I’ve never seen someone hope a player fails as much as you do, you’re just waiting for that moment to tell everyone how smart you are.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Jack's monster truck announcer style isn't really my cup of tea but when he's actually focused on the game I think he does a fairly good job. When Oilers highlights make the rounds on social media he's usually quite well received for how he calls the action. Unfortunately that's only about 30% of the game since he's usually chatting about something inane.

On Louie, I used to love him when he started but he's become so banal and milquetoast on the air. Call out a dive or a bad call every now and then. The only colour he's adding to the broadcast these past years is beige. I hope he gets that national job he's gunning for so that someone else can get a shot.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Jack's monster truck announcer style isn't really my cup of tea but when he's actually focused on the game I think he does a fairly good job. When Oilers highlights make the rounds on social media he's usually quite well received for how he calls the action. Unfortunately that's only about 30% of the game since he's usually chatting about something inane.

On Louie, I used to love him when he started but he's become so banal and milquetoast on the air. Call out a dive or a bad call every now and then. The only colour he's adding to the broadcast these past years is beige. I hope he gets that national job he's gunning for so that someone else can get a shot.

No one is better at calling the action than Jack.

I suppose if you share his same interests in 80s wrestling and action movies, you might even enjoy his vamping to fill dead air during garbagetime and boring stoppages…. I don’t, but I still appreciate his effort - as a majority of announcers have nothing to say at all, or just get dead quiet and put you to sleep.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

And over the last stretch of games where he has been sharp, Skinner has made more than several saves on east/west passes where got across and made a big save.

It's no doubt his biggest weakness, but there's no doubt in my mind at least that he's made strides here lately and the results back that up.

Reactions: nally and guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
And over the last stretch of games where he has been sharp, Skinner has made more than several saves on east/west passes where got across and made a big save.

It's no doubt his biggest weakness, but there's no doubt in my mind at least that he's made strides here lately and the results back that up.
I am seeing the same thing. Not only improvements in his mobility (his weight has to play into that) but I am seeing imporvements in his puck tracking and his positioning.
It would be a massive mistake to give up on a young goalie like Skinner.
He has starting goalie potential IMO.

Reactions: nally

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
And for me, I became a fan in December 2005 when Rod was still calling the games. Simple, straightforward, and genuine without all the contrived screaming salesman shtick.
Couldnt agree more.

Rod was one of many quality play by play men back in the day.
Chris Cuthbert is still going though. Always enjoy listening to him.

I suspect that most of the people that like Jack and his screaming salesman shtick are on the younger side and havent heard enough quality play by play.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Couldnt agree more.

Rod was one of many quality play by play men back in the day.
Chris Cuthbert is still going though. Always enjoy listening to him.

I suspect that most of the people that like Jack and his screaming salesman shtick are on the younger side and havent heard enough quality play by play.
As Oilers fans we were spoiled a bit, honestly. Rod was excellent, Cuthbert is just great and the late great Don Wittman.

Not as good as Wittman, but Mark Lee was solid, and I never minded Kevin Quinn, he just had to call one of the worst eras of Oilers' history.

Reactions: Biltmore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad