The Perfect Win

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Ok disclaimer. This thread is mostly tongue in cheek. And meant to be fun.

But is it really......?

Over the years, but really narrowing it down to the Keefe era, I have frequented PGTs after wins to see the fan reaction. While wins create a good mood, there are usually a lot of buts. And yes, those buts are usually valid in a sense. But it is kind of funny to see flip flopping narratives.

Leafs win by a little. "This team is supposed to be an offensive juggernaut, they should be scoring way more."

Leafs win by a lot. "That was easy pond hockey. Won't fly in the playoffs, they need to win close, tight games."

Leafs big guns go off. "We have no depth, that won't be good in the playoffs."

Leafs depth scores the big goals. "Our big guns didn't live up to their contracts. This team is flawed."

Those are the ones I am focusing on, but there are many more examples.

So let's try the perfect game. I bet I can't do it though, knowing this fanbase.

Let's be honest, with the PTSD of this fanbase, the game has to be against Boston.

:leafs 4 :bruins0

1st Period:

1. Toronto: William Nylander (John Tavares, Morgan Rielly)

2nd Period:

Big hit on Marner by Brad Marchand. We have fight in response! Wayne Simmonds KOs Brad Marchand.

Up until this point, the 2nd period had been a bit sleepy, but not too sleepy, cause that would mean the Leafs have no intensity. Let's see if it sparks them.

2. Toronto: Auston Matthews (Mitch Marner, Morgan Rielly) PP

3. Toronto: Ilya Mihkeyev (Pierre Engvall, T.J. Brodie)

3rd Period:

Another fight because... well we know why. Travis Dermott also KOs Marchand. What a warrior. Let's hope Seattle takes Holl instead.

4. Toronto: Auston Matthews (Mitch Marner, Zach Hyman)

SOG: Toronto 46, Boston 18

PP: Toronto 1/3, Boston 0/4

Notes:
  • Nylander had to get the first goal, since it was the winner, showing he could come through in a big game
  • I didn't do time stamps, but I figured a goal needed to be scored in the first or it would look like the team wasn't focused
  • Matthews 100% needed a multi-goal game and Marner 100% needed a multi-point game cause you know their contracts
  • Needed some defencemen in on the assists
  • Needed a depth goal
  • Needed goals in all periods to show they were always going for it
  • A shutout was paramount
  • Perfect PK was essential
  • Under 20 shots against or our D zone play would be terrible
  • Keefe juggled the lines from time to time, seeing Simmonds and Hyman switch lines as one example
  • Campbell made 3 huge saves on Pastrnak. One was a cartwheel and another he was on his head!
Where there could still be nitpicks:
  • Only 1 point for Nylander and Tavares is probably cause for concern. But I couldn't extend it to 5 goals cause pond hockey
  • Only 1 PP goal... The pond hockey thing plus not enough EV goals would also be an issue
  • No EN goal showing heart and determination in a tight game. But an EN would make it too close
  • No SH goal. I mean really, the world isn't perfect, deal with it

Was I close?

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe a biking analogy makes sense for what the perfect game should be.

When you’re playing a weak opponent (flat, even terrain, good paving, gentle bends in the road) you just want the team to show up, have a good time, put in the effort and enjoy themselves. Big guns put up big points, goalie let’s in very few goals, test out a few things, guys in slumps get their legs going. All good.

Against a medium opponent (on a gradual incline) just put in the consistent work, get up the hill and don’t over exert or injure yourself.

Against a true contender in a big game (biking way uphill, torrential rainstorm, fallen trees, treacherous conditions) just get the job done ugly.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Ok disclaimer. This thread is mostly tongue and cheek. And meant to be fun.

But is it really......?

Over the years, but really narrowing it down to the Keefe era, I have frequented PGTs after wins to see the fan reaction. While wins create a good mood, there are usually a lot of buts. And yes, those buts are usually valid in a sense. But it is kind of funny to see flip flopping narratives.

Leafs win by a little. "This team is supposed to be an offensive juggernaut, they should be scoring way more."

Leafs win by a lot. "That was easy pond hockey. Won't fly in the playoffs, they need to win close, tight games."

Leafs big guns go off. "We have no depth, that won't be good in the playoffs."

Leafs depth scores the big goals. "Our big guns didn't live up to their contracts. This team is flawed."

Those are the ones I am focusing on, but there are many more examples.

So let's try the perfect game. I bet I can't do it though, knowing this fanbase.

Let's be honest, with the PTSD of this fanbase, the game has to be against Boston.

:leafs 4 :bruins0

1st Period:

1. Toronto: William Nylander (John Tavares, Morgan Rielly)

2nd Period:

Big hit on Marner by Brad Marchand. We have fight in response! Wayne Simmonds KOs Brad Marchand.

Up until this point, the 2nd period had been a bit sleepy, but not too sleepy, cause that would mean the Leafs have no intensity. Let's see if it sparks them.

2. Toronto: Auston Matthews (Mitch Marner, Morgan Rielly) PP

3. Toronto: Ilya Mihkeyev (Pierre Engvall, T.J. Brodie)

3rd Period:

Another fight because... well we know why. Travis Dermott also KOs Marchand. What a warrior. Let's hope Seattle takes Holl instead.

4. Toronto: Auston Matthews (Mitch Marner, Zach Hyman)

SOG: Toronto 46, Boston 18

PP: Toronto 1/3, Boston 0/4

Notes:
  • Nylander had to get the first goal, since it was the winner, showing he could come through in a big game
  • I didn't do time stamps, but I figured a goal needed to be scored in the first or it would look like the team wasn't focused
  • Matthews 100% needed a multi-goal game and Marner 100% needed a multi-point game cause you know their contracts
  • Needed some defencemen in on the assists
  • Needed a depth goal
  • Needed goals in all periods to show they were always going for it
  • A shutout was paramount
  • Perfect PK was essential
  • Under 20 shots against or our D zone play would be terrible
  • Keefe juggled the lines from time to time, seeing Simmonds and Hyman switch lines as one example
  • Campbell made 3 huge saves on Pastrnak. One was a cartwheel and another he was on his head!
Where there could still be nitpicks:
  • Only 1 point for Nylander and Tavares is probably cause for concern. But I couldn't extend it to 5 goals cause pond hockey
  • Only 1 PP goal... The pond hockey thing plus not enough EV goals would also be an issue
  • No EN goal showing heart and determination in a tight game. But an EN would make it too close
  • No SH goal. I mean really, the world isn't perfect, deal with it

Was I close?
Haha cool i bet that took some time lol i liked it

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
While I would admit that the above result with Boston would be a perfect win, the question remains can they do it with consistency in the playoffs?:sarcasm:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The one that wins the cup?

upload_2021-3-26_15-49-19.gif

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
What were the hit totals though? Leafs need to be able to match Boston's physicality, otherwise they've already lost the game

Reactions: Jojalu

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
"Wayne Simmonds KOs Brad Marchand."

Already the perfect game, the rest is just gravy.

Reactions: 67leafs

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Having moderated hfboards for a number of years, I guarantee you someone will be pissed off about something even when we do the thing once again

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
This made me laugh out loud, thx, and well done with the rest.

Reactions: Judas Tavares

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad