Confirmed with Link: The Penguins sign goaltender Filip Larsson to a two-year contract.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

Not sure where he slides in on the depth chart. Could be as high as 2nd and as low as 4th. Assume they sign a replacement for Neds even if he walks but Larsson could reasonably compete for an NHL spot.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Ned replacement it is, id guess

Wonder if EK/petts used his swedish connections to get him

Decent SHL numbers

Larsson is signed to a two-year contract that will last through the 2025-26 season. In 28 games with Leksands in the 2023-24 season, Larsson picked up a 19-9-0 record with a 1.93 goals against average and .920 save percentage.

Reactions: Jacob

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Really liked his upside in Detroit before injuries derailed him. Solid no risk signing and may legit challenge for the backup spot if his game reflects his recent pro stats.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Figure he's the AHL starter and they run with Blomqvist as the backup for next year. Think this is the nail in the coffin for Nedjelkovic leaving.
Having a total unknown and a rookie behind Jarry makes me a bit scared. I'd have Blomqvist as the AHL starter for the first half of the season. Have Larsson and someone like Brossoit battle it out for the backup position.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Seems like org depth. He and Gauthier and obvs Blom are all AHL-capable, but completely unproven in the NHL. I'd imagine they will still look for one more 'tender with some NHL experience before the start of the season.

Reactions: wej20 and Jacob

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
He's had two great seasons in a row, last year with a bottom team in the second division, and this year with a middle team in the top division where he was absolutely outstanding. For sure one of the three best goalies in Sweden, maybe the best. Very solid signing.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He's had two great seasons in a row, last year with a bottom team in the second division, and this year with a middle team in the top division where he was absolutely outstanding. For sure one of the three best goalies in Sweden, maybe the best. Very solid signing.
Nice. Good to hear!

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I've been clamoring to sign goalies like this

I'm sure it'll prove me wrong somehow though... That's how my takes usually go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad