The Penguins "Moneyballed" Neal

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I read that article yesterday. It's really interesting. I wish the Pens would be a little more secretive about it, to be honest.

But the overriding thought that kept going through my head as I read it was "Neal's not really a power forward anymore" and the team doesn't really have him play like one.

Bengui

Jul 24, 2009
Discrediting advanced statistics is just as stupid as worshiping them. As they become more and more accurate, teams will start relying on them more often :)

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Discrediting advanced statistics is just as stupid as worshiping them. As they become more and more accurate, teams will start relying on them more often :)

don't really see anyone discrediting advanced statistics in here. or was that more of a general comment?

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
I love advanced statistics as they tell me Nazim Kadri plays sheltered minutes and that's why he's excelling so much.

Don't tell that to Leafs fan tho..

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I love advanced statistics as they tell me Nazim Kadri plays sheltered minutes and that's why he's excelling so much.

Don't tell that to Leafs fan tho..

hmmm...

1) The coach has pretty much said that he's been playing "easier" minutes, but that that's changing, as he's earned the right to play against the toughest assignments. He played against Stamkos the entire night earlier this week and was a +3.

2) He's better than a PPG player. Sheltered or not, I'll take a PPG on my team. Malkin's line plays pretty sheltered minutes when you factor in QoC and zone-starts. It's not a bad thing, it's a good thing. Malkin (and Kadri) will take advantage of it.

3) Yay advanced stats!

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I like that we are using stuff like that as long as it's only part of the reason we bring a player in. There are too many variables present in hockey that aren't present in baseball to rely too much on stats.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
Good read, but let's be honest, they didn't need advanced statistics to tell them Neal + Malkin/Crosby would be awesome. I think most people on this board knew that at the time and they didn't need to hire an analytics company. I'm glad the Pens are using every means available to scout players though.

Last edited:

Bengui

Jul 24, 2009
don't really see anyone discrediting advanced statistics in here. or was that more of a general comment?

general comment... If you go on the main board, every time they are brought up, half the people argue they're completely worthless, and the other half see them as hard proof.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Maybe Richards and now Malkin centering the line he played on has a lot to do with his formula. He is however not a forward who can beat anyone one on one with any regularity. Is he a very good scoring forward or is he a forward who presently has a great shot who has to develop more of an overall game. When he draws the attention of a defense he becomes pretty ordinary. But he is young and can develop into a player who can take the puck and go end to end. Presently he just doesn't have the moves or speed to do so.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
So it takes advanced statistics to say...

Neal with Malkin will be great
Neal with Richards will be good
Neal with Letestu will be meh

Great job and a rally clap for the pro's.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
That article is as much a plug for that stats company as anything else. Bordering on a PR piece as it doesn't really go into any detail other than "The Penguins like the Analytics, bro."

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
What I found interesting is the Pens went after Neal over other guys whom they moneyballed. Anyone care to speculate who any of the other targets were?

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
The other thing is, it seemed like at the time, Goligoski for Neal seemed like the most obvious trade in the universe. Didn't multiple people on the boards call it before it happened?

Master Shake*

If he 'Moneyballed' Neal then what the hell did he do with Morrow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad