OT: The Patriots logo that never was

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Pat Patriot was mothballed in 1993 in favor of Elvis but the team considered this in 1979

5975289602_cb4a8d3d07_o.png

Fans reacted quickly and Pat was saved. The fans were not given a say about Elvis however.

5974729373_2dd89ce773_o.png

The entire story

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/stor...tch-traces-lineage-patriots-flying-elvis-logo

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
That is so cool (the article) I really do love the flying elvis logo. But I also really do love the Pat Patriot logo too

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I have soft spot for the first few versions of the Elvis jerseys because I started watching in 93. It's amazing that they changed their uniforms three consecutive years. Such a thing would never be allowed in the league now.

I have two blue Bledsoe jerseys from the 95-99 season.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have soft spot for the first few versions of the Elvis jerseys because I started watching in 93. It's amazing that they changed their uniforms three consecutive years. Such a thing would never be allowed in the league now.

I have two blue Bledsoe jerseys from the 95-99 season.

TV cameras had problems with the first 2 versions which is why they changed them

http://www.patriots.com/news/evolution-patriots-logo-and-uniform

A new owner in 1992 and a new head coach and quarterback in 1993 seemed like the perfect time to change up the team's uniforms for the first time ever. Owner James Orthwein and his marketing team reportedly gave NFL Properties only a few months to develop the new logo and uniform color scheme.

Harkening back somewhat to the 1979 design that was booed out of the stadium, the designers quickly developed what we now refer to as the "Flying Elvis" just in time for the 1993 season. Orthwein also noted that the colonists' opponents wore red during the Revolution, so it made sense to change out the primary jersey to blue. The new uniforms, royal blue with red numbers outlined in white and silver pants and helmets, were also introduced. Silver, it was noted, was the hot color for sports uniforms at the time.

While Flying Elvis has remained the team's logo since 1993, the uniforms would undergo significant changes. After the 1993 season, the seemingly hard-to-read red numbers on the royal blue jerseys were changed to white numbers outlined in red. The blue jerseys also had white numbers outlined in red on the shoulders and the new logo on the sleeves.

A year after Robert Kraft bought the team in 1994, the uniforms underwent a slight overhaul for 1995. The colors remained the same, but the names and numbers were italicized while the body of the jersey was given a pinstripe pattern. The new jerseys also switched the position of the number and the logo on the arms, moving the number to the sleeves while the logo moved to the shoulders.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I have always disliked Elvis Patriot which is why I love it when the Patriots wear throwback uniforms.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Is it wrong that I like "None of the above" for the Patriots?

Pat Patriot is too complicated. A 4th grader should be able to scribble his or her favorite team's logo from memory in the margins of their notebook. (Same for national flags.) The spoked B and the Celtics secondary shamrock logo fit that almost perfectly. The Red Sox logo and its variants have a lot of moving parts (the iconic Bosox font B, the pair of socks, the baseball in the logo), but each one is individually reproducible.

No way can anyone draw Pat unless they're an artist.

The Flying Elvis is closer to being reproducible, but just looks...ugh. I know everyone says "Elvis", but I can't not see Boston native Jay Leno in it.

A good logo (and team name) should also have some meaning behind it. (Again, same with flags.) Spoked B was Oliver Wendell Holmes' placing Boston as the hub of the universe. The shamrock/Celtics name as a nod to the Irish heritage of Boston. Patriots as part of Boston's central role in colonial history. I think the Red Sox lose a little there, because from what I know (and correct me if I'm wrong), it's literally because they wore/wear...red socks.

Save By Thomas

Jive Turkey
Nov 12, 2011
The armpit of California
First off, let me state that I am not in any way, shape or form a Patriot fan.........in fact, I despise them. I am a Raider fan (have been for 36 years) and the mere thought of the snow-job game makes me want to smash something. Now that we've gotten that out of the way...............the current Patriots uniforms are horrible. They look like something from a bad movie that wasn't allowed to use real NFL logos or castoffs from the USFL. The old Pat Patriot uniforms are pretty darn awesome.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Agreed.

The side panel BS is very "2000s". Not as bad as the Falcons or Cardnals, but pretty bad. They won't change them until Brady retires though.

The best uniforms in the league are the simplest.

Raiders
Redskins
Packers
Colts
49ers
Bears
Steelers

All classics.

Spanky185

Dec 1, 2014
Between BOS and NYC
Is it wrong that I like "None of the above" for the Patriots?

Pat Patriot is too complicated. A 4th grader should be able to scribble his or her favorite team's logo from memory in the margins of their notebook. (Same for national flags.) The spoked B and the Celtics secondary shamrock logo fit that almost perfectly. The Red Sox logo and its variants have a lot of moving parts (the iconic Bosox font B, the pair of socks, the baseball in the logo), but each one is individually reproducible.

No way can anyone draw Pat unless they're an artist.

The Flying Elvis is closer to being reproducible, but just looks...ugh. I know everyone says "Elvis", but I can't not see Boston native Jay Leno in it.

A good logo (and team name) should also have some meaning behind it. (Again, same with flags.) Spoked B was Oliver Wendell Holmes' placing Boston as the hub of the universe. The shamrock/Celtics name as a nod to the Irish heritage of Boston. Patriots as part of Boston's central role in colonial history. I think the Red Sox lose a little there, because from what I know (and correct me if I'm wrong), it's literally because they wore/wear...red socks.

The red sox (stockings) name is an important one in baseball history. The name originates from when teams didn't really wear a standard uniform, so teams were identified by the color of their socks -60+ years before numbers on the back. Also team names like we know them now didn't exist, but were just nicknames given to them by fans or newspapers. The Cincinnati Red Stockings were the first pro baseball team and kicked every other teams backside, but disbanded and remnents of the team moved to Boston.

The team currently called the Red Sox, The Boston Americans (a common nickname to differentiate an NL team from a new AL team in the same city), actually took the name when the NL Boston team dropped it. The NL team would later settle on "Braves"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad