The Patrik Koyš Hype Thread

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Yes I know since he is a 95 he won't be eligible this coming summer. I'm guessing he will be playing in the u-20 league next year. It really is rare thing to have prospects to go to another European country but a few other prospects are starting to do this mostly ones from weaker hockey countries i.e Denmark-Sweden Nikolai Meyer. Its dissappointing but I have a feeling most of the top prospects of Slovakia will chose to go to the CHL anyways. Reway, Torok, Koys, Paulovic, and Dano etc, a very strong feeling these guys will be drafted and enticed to go.

It remains to be seen what they will choose and I doubt all of them will take the same road and I´d say we probably will have a chance to compare how taking this or that road helped them turn out.

Daňo is the only one eligible for the CHL draft already this year and while I think he might be drafted, I´d say that getting ice-time with the big boys already now at 16, that he will stay with Dukla at least one more year, playing and learning from some of his dad´s old teammates and then go to CHL in his draft season, kind of getting the best of both roads.

KoyÅ¡, at least for the next season, I expect him in Trenčín juniors team, maybe they might even give him some limited time there at the end of this season?

Reway, it seems that this season he is mostly stuck in the U18 league, because Martin wasn´t all that successful when he was gone to juniors. However if at least half the off-ice things he is already famous for at this age is true, he might be one of the kids that could actually greatly benefit from the CHl at least in getting his head straight.

Torok already made one move and with what alko is saying about Sweden, he might try it again after the season. Since his dad actually followed him to play in CZE, though other team, he might be more likely to go to Sweden than the CHL, where his dad can actually play in some of the lower Swedish leagues and still be a good player despite his age.

With what Pablo said about Paulovič, he seems to be the kid who needs a move to an another club really bad. But I´d guess even for him it is an another Slovak team for next season at least. he already played 2 games for Nitra U20 this season, but I don´t know why he returned to Topoľčany whether Nitra wasn´t satisfied with what they got or more likely Topoľčany really wanted to have him back. It´s just sad that we would destroy even one of the few talents we get with that whole playing deffense thing.:shakehead:help:

He realized self, that for now it is above his skills. So he returned to Slavia Praha.

That seems weird and it might sound like he doesn´t want to take on a challenge, but maybe he just thought that he had more of a chance of logging in big minutes in Cze U18 and that it would be better than small minutes in J18 Elit?

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
Today he played the last match of the regular season, finishing 2nd in scoring with 34+39 in 44 games. Also he is 3rd in goals and 2nd in assists. Here are the U18 extrleague statistics.

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
Trencin won 2:0 in a last match of the series against Poprad 2:1 overall and will now face Slovan in the semifinals. Further more Koys had in these three games 3 goals and 2 assists.

Last edited:

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
Interview

Slovak ice-hockey portal made an interview with Patrik before the start of the semifinal series between Dukla Trencin and Slovan Bratislava.

Patrik Koyš led Dukla with three goals and two assists to the playoff semifinals.

Patrik's season was a success and fulfilled or even surpassed expectancies of the fans. He ended up second in scoring in the league, was unarguably the best player of his class, he was the engine of Dukla Trencin not only in the regular season but also in the playoffs he was the most productive player and one of the two 3 goals scorers. We asked Patrik to share his experience of his second playoff in his career.
Stats:
09/10 ED: 48 z, 23+29, 52
10/11 ED: 47 z, 37+41, 78

Patrik, can you compare this and your previous season.
I grew up in Dubnica, with friends I played in the same team, we knew each other perfectly in our line. I knew what I can expect from each and every one on the team. To sum up both seasons I have to say that the last one was a bit tougher. Since it was my first season I had to adjust to all sorts of different things.

In this season you changed teams.
Yes. After seven games I went to Trencin. At first I had no impact, sort of speak. Again I had to adjust. Not to the league itself like last year, but to a different style of hockey that is played in Trencin. I was lucky I had the same coach that I got used to in Dubnica, coach Kalaber, the same systems are trained and played here so it was similar to the previous season. Only the hockey style played in Trencin is a bit different than in Dubnica. In Dubnica we played a more combinative hockey than in Trencin.

You are saying that the hockey style of Trencin's players is different than yours. So it must be helping you that you have your mates from Dubnica on your line who have your style in their blood from the last season.
Definitely. For most of the season I played with guys from Dubnica Stantien and Bulis and now in the playoffs there is also Emil Bagin in the defense, so we have basically the same line we had in Dubnica. One player I miss is Filip Nemcek.

In an unbelievable manner you played in quarterfinal against Poprad. From 18 points your line was on the ice for 15. What was it that it was your line that was so dominant.
I don't know what it could have been, maybe the fact we had some experience from the last playoffs. Maybe we were more calm than the rest of the guys. In the end it doesn't matter who was scoring. We all pulled by the same end of the rope and managed to turn the series to our favor. I was expecting a very though series despite the fact we fairly outplayed Poprad in the regular season games, we won those games in a high margin. Poprad doesn't have a bad team at all, on the contrary hand they have players that play on the national team. However what surprised me the most was that they didn't make a lot of fouls, they skated a lot and were returning to help out in the defense. I knew it would be tough but I didn't expect it to be so challenging.

You are one of the top players in the extraleague. Did they play a man-to-man defense on you?
In some matches maybe yes but I didn't pay to much attention to it. I didn't notice it that much. I'm lucky that I play on a strong line where it is hard to say whom to play defense on. For our opponents it didn't pay up because they couldn't know whom to play defense on first. After Emil Bagin came we were almost like four forwards on that line!

What are your plans for your hockey future? Are you planning to leave Slovakia?
The next season I will be playing in Trencin and after that? We will see...

Patrik also answered two questions regarding the semifinals:

1. What do you have to avoid in order to advance to the finals?
Slovan has very good forwards that will be a threat and we must look out for that. We lost to Slovan three times this year. In all those games our individual mistakes were a factor and Slovan took advantage of them. We have to avoid making them and then I think we can beat them.

2. What game do you expect?
A hard one. Slovan came to the playoffs from the 7th place but they will be strong, their juniors are out so some players may come that were gaining experience in the juniors. We are expecting quality matches, fast and tough.

Source: webhokej24.sk

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
How did Koys do this year? I've heard he projects as the next Gaborik-like player to come out of Slovakia. Any truth to this? Also, I remember hearing about another prospect who is much bigger than Koys and is about the same age, but not as good right now. Can't think of his name, but maybe someone from Slovakia will know who I'm talking about.

Anyway, I'm assuming these guys will both be drafted if they continue on their current development pace. Can anyone give me some info about these guys and how they play?

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Also, I remember hearing about another prospect who is much bigger than Koys and is about the same age, but not as good right now. Can't think of his name, but maybe someone from Slovakia will know who I'm talking about.

Matej Paulovič?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Could have been either of the above mentioned. Anyways do all of these guys have 1st round potential? The guy I remember hearing about was either 6'3 or 6'4 and people were saying they think he may be better than Koys, who's apparently a Slovak generational talent. Is there any indication that they'll be coming over to the CHL or will they stay in Slovakia until they're drafted?

DrPabloRamirez

Nov 23, 2010
The guy I remember hearing about was either 6'3 or 6'4 and people were saying they think he may be better than Koys, who's apparently a Slovak generational talent. Is there any indication that they'll be coming over to the CHL or will they stay in Slovakia until they're drafted?
It is Matej Paulovic, player with number 24: video 1, video 2 or here with number 27 video 3.
He will probably play U20 league next season in Nitra.
I have seen the game today and several Slovaks have impressed me.
I saw all guys except Torok and Paulovic for the first time so I was only recognising players but several caught my eyes. 96´born D Adrian Sloboda from Skalica was the most impressive player for me. Törok hasn´t play the strongest game today but he looks like solid prospect. I have also liked D Patrik Bacik, big D Martin Bobos could be intriguing player in the future too if developed properly. Forwards Benicky and Petras have played solid game. On the other hand Paulovic hasn´t impressed me again, he is physically much more developed than most of the other guys and several guys could overtake him in the future. I don´t think he is NHL prospect.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
It is Matej Paulovic, player with number 24: video 1, video 2 or here with number 27 video 3.
He will probably play U20 league next season in Nitra.

Ah, thank you. I believe that's the person I was talking about. Hopefully Slovakia will start developing more NHL calibur players because from what I can tell the development program there has really collapsed from where it once was.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Patrik was 3+1 in 4 games at the Ann Arbor U17 tourney.

Slovakian Patrik Koys has drawn some attention as a bit of a hockey wunderkind. He's got some big time hands and scoring ability, but is pretty small and not a particularly quick skater. He was great at protecting the puck against the wall, but that could be more difficult against more mature competition that can pin him against the wall easier. He was a nice looking player, but if I had my choice of smaller forwards at the this tournament, I would have taken Guertler over him.

Juraj Šiška was one of the few ´96s playing in the event. He´s a big kid that looked pretty talented. Speaking of big, defenseman Martin Boboš was 6´6". He´ll definitely get a long look from pro teams due to his size.

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/2011/8/16/2362494/us-u17-select-player-evaluations

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
He also had a solid performance at the 2011 World Sport School Challenge where Slovakia finished third; he was 2+5 in 5 games.

It seems he is not playing today against Prešov. Hopefully he is not injured.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
What happened to this kid? Why did he not live up to the hype?

He lacks size and speed. That´s pretty much it. He has got pretty good hands and hockey IQ, but still, he was way overhyped.
Although he was really dominant, you have to consider the quality of our leagues.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Ah ok, I thought it might be something to do with size and speed.

Thanks for the info guys. He still seems to be a decent player :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad