The Panthers top 5 'Untouchable' players

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
When I see trade threads, they will be a response saying everything is in play but our untouchable players. Now, for me, no player in untouchable. I mean Gretzky was traded! Anyway, after saying that, who would you say are our top 5 players that are untouchable.

Imo:
1. Barkov
2. Ekblad
3. Bjugstad
4. Huberdeau
5. Gudbranson

I feel most would agree with my top 3. Although quite a few might question why I've put Barkov ahead of Ekblad. In all fairness, they are pretty much on par, but for me Barkov just sneaks it.

Last edited:

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Id go with your first four. Id consider Gudbranson off limits as well, but if he was the centerpiece of a Kessel deal, you have to seriously consider it. I hate to see him go, but I think we would be better off in the long run with your top four, with Kessel, and without Guds. If we can somehow add a top six scoring RWer, that would not cost us as much, then your five would be my five untouchables.

Jan 19, 2006
There are really only 3 IMO:

1. Ekblad - the true untouchable

2. Barkov
3. Bjugstad

I wouldn't trade Huberdeau or Gudbranson, but I wouldn't consider them untouchable.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
When I see trade threads, they will be a response saying everything is in play but our untouchable players. Now, for me, no player in untouchable. I mean Gretzky was traded! Anyway, after saying that, who you would say are our top 5 players that are untouchable.

Imo:
1. Barkov
2. Ekblad
3. Bjugstad
4. Huberdeau
5. Gudbranson

I feel most would agree with my top 3. Although quite a few might question why I've put Barkov ahead of Ekblad. In all fairness, they are pretty much on par, but for me Barkov just sneaks it.

In Dale's eyes, exactly.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
6 untouchables, add Rocco.

It's very unlikely that Subrtacting Ekblad, Bjugstad, Barkov, Huber, Guds, and Rocco will give us the fair return we'd be looking for.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
There are really only 3 IMO:

1. Ekblad - the true untouchable

2. Barkov
3. Bjugstad

I wouldn't trade Huberdeau or Gudbranson, but I wouldn't consider them untouchable.

I agree with this list.

I would consider moving Ekblad if we were guranteed McDavid or Eichel.

BravePackCats27

Jun 19, 2014
I'd go with:

1. Bjugstad- just gave him a contract and with his size, skill, and youth I'd say he's most valuable and untouchable.
1a. Ekblad- see #1. Probably 1st actually but since Big Bjugs is my fav player I chose him.
2. Barkov- injury prone but still young and huge upside.

I think Hubby and Guds could/would be traded if the right deal came along due to inconsistency but would have to be huge overpayment especially after the way they've played this year.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I'd go with:

1. Bjugstad- just gave him a contract and with his size, skill, and youth I'd say he's most valuable and untouchable.
1a. Ekblad- see #1. Probably 1st actually but since Big Bjugs is my fav player I chose him.

I think Hubby and Guds could/would be traded if the right deal came along due to inconsistency but would have to be huge overpayment especially after the way they've played this year.

Yeah, those two are starting to justify where they were drafted. Big improvement on last season.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
I'd go with:

I agree but would not trade Hubby or Guds within the division or even the conference. Don't want to see them fulfill their potential and burn us with it several times each season.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Barkov and Ekblad for sure. Bjugstad after that, he is pretty much in the same category. It would make zero sense moving anyone of these three right now during a rebuild.

Guddy after that, not that he'll ever put up a lot of points but the guy is a born leader.

Huby for me is certainly not untouchable. He is a skilled winger obviously but replaceable. Not that it would make a lot of sense moving him either during a rebuild.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Ekblad has to be the only true untouchable. Nobody else qualifies anywhere near his value. He's a top 5 dmen in the league talent.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Why? He's such a supreme piece of the future.

I love Rocco as much as the next guy, but he doesn't project to be anywhere near the player you think he'll be. He didn't light it up in his call-up with Florida, hasn't lit it up in the AHL, and didn't light it up in college. He's probably a second line winger that can play on the powerplay. Hardly irreplaceable.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I love Rocco as much as the next guy, but he doesn't project to be anywhere near the player you think he'll be. He didn't light it up in his call-up with Florida, hasn't lit it up in the AHL, and didn't light it up in college. He's probably a second line winger that can play on the powerplay. Hardly irreplaceable.

Be fair, look at the minutes, number of PP opportunities...Pirri went forever without scoring, hell everyone on this team has(also with more PP time).

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
For the record, I don't see Barkov as 'injury prone'. He was out twice for his knee, but otherwise it's just been an illness (as far as we know). Anyone can get sick so I don't see that as being injury prone.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I see Ekblad, Bjugstad, and Barkov as untouchables.

I'd like to keep Huberdeau as part of the core, but as much as I like the guy, if the right deal came along to help us at Wing long-term and he was thrown into the package, I probably wouldn't say definitely no.

Gudbranson is another guy I'd be hesitant to give up as we don't really know his future yet at this point, but again if the right deal came along and we'd still be secure at defense long-term, I wouldn't say no. Same goes for Kulikov, but I'd be more hesitant about letting him go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad