OT: The overwhelming negativity of this board

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is my point we drafted both of these two great players,we had the planets best defender for 7 seasons on a great deal...Yet we did nothing to augment him by getting more players to put around him...Our big push was trade for 3rd liners,and cross our fingers and hope for the best...So tell me how different is it going to be for kids like Tkachuk,Stuzle,Bath etc??

Matt Duchene is a 3rd liner?

Dorion actually took a big risk, it backfired, and he was lynched in the process.

Its nice to call out negativity ,but you should likely do it when you have something for this fanbase to actually hope for

Well, some people have more hope with this past draft, I guess you're not one of those people. That's fine. A lot of uncertainty.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I am sure I am lumped in with the negative tone. My thoughts...

-These are professionals that are overpaid ridiculous amounts of money that allow them to live a life most of us are envious about. I won't feel bad at all for the criticism they face, because it comes with the territory. Don't like it? Well, there's plenty of jobs they could do that would allow them to be anonymous and avoid criticism. This is just a sports thing and not Ottawa specific either.

-There is a whole lot of, you're negative because you don't think like me attitude that keeps it all in a loop. I don't like acquiring Gudbranson (or other moves) and I should be allowed to say it without being made to feel like I'm just not "getting it" or I don't understand hockey. No, I just don't like the move and am putting thoughts out about it and how it impacts the team going forward and what patterns I feel I might be seeing in some of these decisions. It's pretty clear there are two defined groups entrenched in their positions that battle on here. It leads to a lot of hyperbole and insults, but it's not one side particularly to blame. There are also mods which appear associated with the entrenched sides which leads to some additional angst.

-We are all fanatics and that is going to come out in the way we talk about the team and making it seem more important than it really is in life. I wouldn't watch if i'm not emotionally invested, full stop. I watch the Senators and a couple other teams I'm fond of, same goes for other sports, but it has to have an emotional component or it won't keep my interest. I think some people just enjoy good hockey and want to watch that regardless of teams and are able to separate their emotion a little more. I am envious of that mentality as it comes with less anguish, but I also know it means I just wouldn't watch. There have been times in life where I would say the Ottawa Senators were the most important thing in my life and that probably leads to some unhealthy mental attachments to desired outcomes, but it is what it is.

-Management has a questionable track record and they are critiqued for it and not trusted going forward because of it. It's up to them to change opinions by making moves the fans would get behind, but I don't think they're in the position where these moves will be supported regardless. This leads in to my next point...

-Expectations vs. reality. Fans have been in large part under the impression the goal was to get a lot better next year and start making moves this summer to start that. Unfortunately, Covid hit and everything is thrown off. I think the plan changed and they're banking on another throwaway season and lottery pick next year. The Murray move seems contradictory to that, but the rest of their moves look like they're actively looking to stay in the basement.

-PR from the team prior to this year was very poorly done and it unfortunately further exasperated the situation and caused a lot of damage to their image. When you have Nick Rutkowski saying things like the fans should be excited because they're obligated to hit the cap floor, or Dorion bragging about the greatest day being the Stone trade, it's just not going to go over well. I'm sure there are rational arguments for why those things are said and the context, but that one is on them for providing those damaging sound bites imo.

-Melnyk. This isn't going away and I don't think it ever will. He is the heel character in Ottawa and the media perpetuates this big time, keeping it fresh in everyone's minds every time a story pops up.

I feel like I read a ton of positivity leading up to the draft and during the first round. People have voiced their opinions about what they thought was good. There were some other things that weren't met as positively and people then criticized those moves and voicing their feelings that the same past trends of some poor decision making were happening. I don't really see what's so wrong about that.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Matt Duchene is a 3rd liner?

Dorion actually took a big risk, it backfired, and he was lynched in the process.

Well, some people have more hope with this past draft, I guess you're not one of those people. That's fine. A lot of uncertainty.
Yep ,nothing wrong with this draft just like their was nothing wrong with the last 2 or 3 rebuilds/retools...Not the point though....It what ownership has done for the last decade that is...We draft, hit the floor or just above it, sell off ..Start another rebuild....Cant really believe why you think that negativity wouldnt be an issue by now...

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I thought I'd weigh in as I have been lurking on these boards for nearly 11 years but only recently started posting.

I am not overly concerned about the shifts of negative or positive posts on these boards right now. The team isn't great and there is a I think and understandable amount of scepticism in the moves that management makes due to the constraints of ownership. I think that as time goes on and the team gets better (if they get better), I would hope that we will see less negative posts and comments.

I think the timing of posts like this are unnecessary because the Sens are in (one of) the lowest point in the franchises history. There is naturally going to be a significant number of negative comments when the team isn't good and hasn't been good in a number of years. If the trend is around in a year or two after the team isn't constantly in the running for worst team in the NHL then I think there might be more cause for concern.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Just a reflection of society at large .

Over emotional investment and entrenchment in tribalistic “team” positions and arguments.

Citing autoethnographic exercises as a actual backing for research and positions etc .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You clearly believe your opinion is better than everyone elses and that rubs people the wrong way. If anyone disagrees with you, you insult them for not knowing as much as you. You write books to show off how much research you do and never acknowledge anyone's counter point and when you do it's very condescending. You do every thing you can to invalidate the person and not their opinion. If Bobby Ryan was you brother or son then okay defend away but when someone calls him garbage they are not talking about him personally, they're talking about his play. The fact you take offence to that means you are probably investing more into it than you should. You need to stop exaggerating people lower sense of morality and stop inflating yours.

Here comes Stylizer judgemental takes! What is ironic with you is that you always do much worse than what you condemn me for. Just like how you make it personal every single time and call me out for it at the same time.

We are debating here, I never said my "opinion" was better than everyone else, that's why I work hard to actually construct an argumentation supported by facts instead of just stating my opinion because for me, opinions aren't worth much, mine like everybody's else. My opinion without anything to support it is nothing. That's what I have learned in college so yes "this movie sucks" doesn't mean anything to me until there is an argumentation to support that statement.

Let's take this thread for example, so where have I insulted anybody? Maybe I did in the past because it annoyed the hell out of me to see people insult players/coaches/executives like they were pieces of shit but I have learned over the years what the internet was so I'm a little bit more patient even if it's still a work in progress (I believe it takes a whole life to really become patient)

What is funny here is that I have actually taken a lot more heat than giving it over the years. Like it's not even close. I used to be quicker to reply at insults but now I usually don't even respond to the first insults people fire at me, but yes after a few ones I get annoyed and I do reply. If that makes me unperfect, then so be it. It's true that nobody likes their opinion to be challenged (and I do too) but I routinetly got insulted for doing that, even if I was not making it personal at all. So instead of accusing me again and again and again, why don't you try to find situations where I was the instigator? I certainly did as I am imperfect like everybody else but if you go to the initial posts you would actually see why it got into an argument and why I always have to defend myelf even if there was nothing personal at all at the beginning, just arguing.

Reactions: Viletho

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I dont want to fall in love with anymore players,only to have ownership move them out before they get a legit chance to go for the prize...The moment we sign BT is the exact moment we need to start building towards bringing the cup home,no more BS about money,small market and whatever white noise EM wants to throw out there...Its been two decades of this crap enough already

Reactions: Bileur

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I dont want to fall in love with anymore players,only to have ownership move them out before they get a legit chance to go for the prize...The moment we sign BT is the exact moment we need to start building towards bringing the cup home,no more BS about money,small market and whatever white noise EM wants to throw out there...Its been two decades of this crap enough already

Ownership is going to have to show that they are serious, for sure.

But then it's the fans who are going to have to fill the building.

BTW, 13 years ago we were in the Cup final and we signed our #1 C and #1 LW to long-term expensive deals.

And then Heatley moved himself out.

Nothing wrong with being negative about the current state of affairs, but there's no reason to change history. Two decades?

Last edited:
Reactions: BoardsofCanada

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ownership is going to have to show that they are serious, for sure.

But then it's the fans who are going to have to fill the building.

BTW, 13 years ago we were in the Cup final.
Yep,look I love the team and our players,this is why I,am so vocal...I dont want too see great kids not get the chance here to win,like that has happened so many times before...

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Let's be honest. This forum is not different then any other part of society.

There are people who don't like something and voice their opinion and there are the counter part who are voicing the opposite of them. There is clash and it makes discussion.

"negative feedback" are always louder. When you like something you usually don't talk much about it.

The problem is that, as fan, we are extremely eager to see the team we love succeed. Some more then others. It result in posters writing more with their emotion and extreme passion( that great ). While others keep a cool headed regarding almost every situation. Again it makes clashes and more discussion.

I believe most people around here are chilled guy. I remember on a subject not agreeing with @Xspyrit. We met in real life to go see some games in Laval for the rookies tournament and the discussion was great. Everything is better in person when it comes to discussion.

To finish, continue to voice your opinions, keep things cool, be respectful to everybody ( not just on the forum ) and have fun.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
take a break everyone, go outside: talk a walk in Gatineau Park (which years ago I was part of a team of 4 students that fix all the trails and stairs during 2 summers - great time), play with your kids, etc... Just have fun and forget about hockey.

It's not like we're going to sign a UFA, right?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We used to actually meet at MacLaren's pub on Elgin. One of the meets took place during that infamous game where Emery fought with Peters and Biron.

It was fun to put faces to names and talk hockey with passionate folks.

It didn't necessarily mean we didn't go back at it on the board when something divisive came up.

As I said earlier, if we stay away from dictating behaviour and simply just acting the way we think we should, things will go a lot more smoothly IMO.

One of my best friends eventually explained me what the internet really was and why I was maybe not a natural fit. He has been participating in political forums so imagine. I am still learning and try to develop more tolerance that people actually need to bash/vent/rant. It's so different than real life where people are more "politically" correct so it makes it very abstract.

Internet communication is certainly not the best way of communicating properly. We are so often accused of having a "tone" where in reality it's impossible to tell. There's a poster I always had a good "internet relation" with before that told me "why are you so upset?" and I was very surprised by this because I was actually having fun with the discussion, even if I was strongly defending my position. Like I said, it's a bit impossible to really know what is going on within the person behind an internet wall.

Anyway, an eventual meet up for a game once the covid is over could be fun (and once the team is good too :sarcasm:). Meet the infamous bad guy "xspyrit"!

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Criticize the post, not the poster. You are guilty of doing the latter.

To the bolded, that's perfectly fine. It just lends credence to my point that everyone has their own opinion and neither yours or mine is better than the other.

It's probably partially my fault as I might not always be expressing myself correctly. English used to be more of a problem but at least that part has been improved. Seriously, I have absolutely NO INTENT to ever make it personal. I don't know anybody here personally (except 2 posters that I went to see a game in Laval with) so there's no reason why it should be. And I'm sure I could get along very well with 99.9% of people here, even those I disagreed the most with or even those I got into an heated argument with. I have been super easy to get along with all my life and with all kind of people with different backgrounds and cultures. When I was younger, people used to call me "free spirit" (source of my username)

Anyway, even though I have been here for a while, I am still learning to actually not make it sound like I am criticizing the person because like I said, not my intent at all. But it's very different from criticizing the poster itself though, the "character" that we post with. That has nothing to do with the person using that "character". Personally I don't see the problem with that. But unfortunately there might be a break in communication somewhere because some people react like if it was personal. I'll have to try to make it more clear everytime an argument is taking shape.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Are you serious right now? Where is the insult exactly? This is crazy lol. And it's 3 years ago no less!

Is it because I debunked your post? That I was wrong or not, I did NOT insult you in any way, shape or form...

If you are oversensitive to that level, now I understand how you find me that "insulting"

But yet, the statements you make in the covid thread or any Bobby Ryan thread, for example, are not offensive to anybody.

Let's go : find any real insults (unprovoked) and I will gladly present my excuses and say how wrong I was for getting upset unprovoked.

Will you stop "defaming" me in every single thread after that?

Sure, there's absolutely no problem doing that, but debunking an opinion is a true insult

Go figure.
This all started in the Ryan thread from years ago and you have never let it go.

It doesn't change the fact that there are other posters here who feel the same way. The covid thread is a perfect example except your posts were deleted. Lucky you.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This all started in the Ryan thread from years ago and you have never let it go.

It doesn't change the fact that there are other posters here who feel the same way. The covid thread is a perfect example except your posts were deleted. Lucky you.

If being refuted makes you feel this way, now it's a lot more clear. I am truly sorry. I really don't intend to diminish you as a person, I was just trying to debunk your opinion(s)

I will be much more careful in the future.

Can we be in peace now and even have a fresh start!?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’m up for a royal rumble, everyone piling on everyone with posts from the past.

We can even have a Mick Foley, someone can run in with their 4 separate accounts they post under.

Our own Mankind/Mick Foley/Dude Love/Cactus Jack

Shotgun Razor Ramon

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I’m up for a royal rumble, everyone piling on everyone with posts from the past.

We can even have a Mick Foley, someone can run in with their 4 separate accounts they post under.

Our own Mankind/Mick Foley/Dude Love/Cactus Jack

I still have some major issues with @SensAreLikeWhoa but he hasn't been around for like 12 years.

YOU HEAR ME???

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad