OT: The overwhelming negativity of this board

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It is just a new generation of posters that is taking over.

There are a few of us from back in the day still around but yeah, we aren't relevant anymore. Most of the high quality posters have fled this place, I came back for the draft but I'm returning to exile.

It is time for the perpetually outraged and bitter to shine.

I think it's the quality of the team, not the poster. If we were competing for the cup, you'd see more positivity but also more talk about strategy and who to acquire and how to come out on top.

Posters have Melnyk and his cheapness in the back of their mind and rightfully so. That can drag down the quality of posts.

Reactions: Stylizer1

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I'm convinced some people use this place as an emotional release valve for whatever shit they have going on in their lives.

It's sad, because it's chased away most of the high quality posters.

It got so bad, the site admins had to intervene last summer.

It's always been like that though. You were just younger and more tolerant to shit talking and stuff.

Me and my buddy were talking about HFboards from a decade ago and site admins and mods had their hands full with hostile posters all the time back in the day. Nothing's changed but your patience for it.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I suspect a lot of the posters on this board are young (below 25) and with youth comes a lack of life experiences (in other words.. immaturity). Young people tend to think that things are black or white. As you get older you learn that there is always two sides to every story and the situation is usually somewhere in the middle.

That said, nothing will change. You either ignore the negativity or don't. I find it extremely annoying but I still enjoy coming here to get information and find out what's going on in the world of hockey.

That average poster has always been under 25. You just also used to be part of that group.

You'll be extremely hard pressed to find a forum with the average age being 30 or 40 unless you go to a history of hockey forum.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
he is the President of the ownership group.

The “ownership group” was bought out I believe the jets have 2 owners and seeing how he has the big title and is running things I would assume he personally owns more than 50%.
He brought in Thompson as an investor and they are listed as co owners but I can’t find who owns what %.
The company kept its name it was chipmans company, he is listed as an owner so I don’t think the “investor” signed on to lose money forever and I don’t think Chapman can lose money really at all because his net worth is not all that great for a owner
Money bags could have been the one to buy everyone out I have no idea but pretending they will be happy losing money for years might not be accurate

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
There is plenty of valid critique on these boards done in good faith and with strong logic. There is a lot, maybe more, that is the opposite, and its definitely annoying as hell - not just because its frustrating to read, but also because it derails threads (which is obviously a two-way street).

What bothers me is those who assume to know best practice, and lament the fact that we are not undertaking that practice. There are certain unfortunate realities of our organization, and they make Dorions job arguably the toughest one in the league. His staff is small and his budget is small, he's made mistakes and is bound to continue to make mistakes. And maybe he will make one mistake too many and we will fail to reach the level we could.... but I do think he deserves a bit more benefit of doubt, in terms of how he has a plan, is putting it in place, and is sticking to it. Our asset management is not elite, but asset management doesn't win the cup, and I think its easy sometimes to lose the forest for the trees. I do believe Dorion has a very thorough plan, and maybe that causes him to miss the forest for the trees at times, but if you have a good, long-term plan and you follow it through, those things tend to equalize.

The last thing I will say is that I, personally, find it exceedingly pointless to let Melnyk discussion bleed in everywhere (ironic given this post, I know). We all know the realities of his situation and I think the best way to move forward is to just accept that. It is what it is, until it isnt. No use constantly lamenting that fact, as lamentable as it is.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I disagree. Posters who violate site rules need to get banned.

Or warnings. And also, site rules could be a bit more lenient. Some things are too strict. You get in a heated debate and say "that's dumb" and you get banned. Or you call the Rangers the rags and you get banned. Or you say "respeck" and you get banned.

Hockey has always has chirping, including its message boards, so people could learn to have thicker skin and have fun with these things.

Do you think you should get banned for saying rags or respeck?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
There is plenty of valid critique on these boards done in good faith and with strong logic. There is a lot, maybe more, that is the opposite, and its definitely annoying as hell - not just because its frustrating to read, but also because it derails threads (which is obviously a two-way street).

What bothers me is those who assume to know best practice, and lament the fact that we are not undertaking that practice. There are certain unfortunate realities of our organization, and they make Dorions job arguably the toughest one in the league. His staff is small and his budget is small, he's made mistakes and is bound to continue to make mistakes. And maybe he will make one mistake too many and we will fail to reach the level we could.... but I do think he deserves a bit more benefit of doubt, in terms of how he has a plan, is putting it in place, and is sticking to it. Our asset management is not elite, but asset management doesn't win the cup, and I think its easy sometimes to lose the forest for the trees. I do believe Dorion has a very thorough plan, and maybe that causes him to miss the forest for the trees at times, but if you have a good, long-term plan and you follow it through, those things tend to equalize.

The last thing I will say is that I, personally, find it exceedingly pointless to let Melnyk discussion bleed in everywhere (ironic given this post, I know). We all know the realities of his situation and I think the best way to move forward is to just accept that. It is what it is, until it isnt. No use constantly lamenting that fact, as lamentable as it is.

Best post in the thread right here

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
Even though my join date says otherwise, I've been a lurker of these boards for a very, very long time.

I originally joined up during the Heatley debacle looking for trade rumors and possible returns, and stumbling on this site. Thats where my username comes from. A poster (name escapes me now) called him 'dany milkbag' cause he was out of shape, bloated and white and I thought that was a hilarious chirp.

This board has had some great posters who have left (MoO, bonk until recently, zeke with the bsens and maindot off the top of my head) and some that have stuck around.
...But the board back then still had shitposters and negative nancies just like it does today. I remember sensfan83 making me and many others absolutely hate Mike Fisher because of his unrelenting postings and bringing him into every unrelated post possible (sound familiar?), or Fuhr constantly taking a dump on Bryan Murray-- a very popular source of negativity for alot of people actually.

Back then there was very much an elitist attitude of "who are you? You're not allowed to have an opinion unless you've reached x amount of posts" going on. In that regard, the board culture has greatly improved since I see new people jumping into the conversation all the time.

Is alot of what's going on right now negative? Yeah, are you surprised? Look at the state of our franchise. Look who's at the controls. Our future is bright atm but its hard not to lace your saltiness in there when you see something you've loved since a child being nosedived into the ground and held back from its true potential by a narcissistic, penny pinching, out of touch scumbag. The negativity being turned up to 11 is a sign-o-the-times and any of the older posters who are acting like this place was a happy fun-time friendship factory are just pining for the "good ol days" imo.

The board is just different now, because the times are different. Also, aint no kids joining up, message boards are for oldheads.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It would be awesome to be competing for a Cup in 4 years but they would have to spend on quality veterans that can bolster the lineup with depth to go along with the youth of Brady, Chabot, Stutzle, and company. Unless something drastic changes, I don't see Melnyk spending 75+ million on this team in a few years. The only thing we should really be concerned with right now is signing Tkachuk to a good deal, which will be pretty hefty if he puts up a nice 25 goal season (8 mil range).
And by in a few years you would mean like now. The whole point of that is to get vets while your players are all on entry level contracts.

In a few years we'll be paying most of our current prospects bigger money. We would have to load up over the next 2 years really.

We would have to determine which prospects we have that are good enough on ELC to add vets to and go for a cup.

Reactions: Karl Prime

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Never change that optimism my bro. I always appreciate it and it gets me psyched when reading your posts.

I'll keep it up if not just for you brother

jeternephew.gif

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Negative discussions are more interesting and generate more posts. There’s an actual back and forth with two or more viewpoints being expressed.

I think someone like Chabot is pretty much admired by every Sens fan so any discussion on him peters out pretty quickly after everyone agrees.

The challenge is obviously keeping it cordial and not personal.

I made no secret about my discomfort about drafting Jake Sanderson and so @BondraTime and I went a few rounds. I enjoyed the discussion and learned a lot in the process. There was some mild sniping but I respect the poster so that is as far as it went.

It also requires the posters involved to understand when nothing new is being brought forward and to let it go.

I don’t like Melnyk and I don’t know if we’re going to be able to hold on to our talent but every Sens fan knows this and bringing it up in every discussion about every player ultimately serves no purpose.

As a mod for quite a few years in the 2000s, I can’t say if it was all that different. There is always something to be nervous or negative about.

It may have been a less challenging time to be a fan, although I think people forget what it’s like to disappoint in the playoffs when you have a team with potential. For almost a decade, our team hasn’t really been expected to do much so exceeding expectations on the ice has been fairly easy.

There were some serious divisions in here regarding our logjam at RW (Alfredsson, Hossa, Havlat), which D to go with (Redden, Chara) and the usual discussions around leadership, physicality and drafting for need vs BPA.

Personally, I’m not in the business of telling people how to feel. Some people deal with their fandom in different ways. If you’re tired of someone’s take, the solution is just to scroll by and do nothing. It’s actually pretty easy to do.

Ultimately, anyone in here cares enough about the Sens to spend hours combing through posts so we all deserve to be here IMO.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I don't see this forum as representative of the Ottawa fan-base... just like Twitter is not representative of society in general.

When you begin to believe that this forum is a true representation of the Fan-base as a whole, you begin to make to many assumptions about the opinions expressed here, which further distorts things.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
One thing that should come with time and experience is the fact that, regardless of how well-founded, well-researched or foundational your opinion, it might end up being proven wrong.

And just to admit it when it happens.

That’s the excitement of live sports. It’s unpredictable. Yes, it can go wrong, but it can also go right, like our 2017 run that provided a lot of epic moments.

Zadina was a skilled goal scorer and Tkachuk was just a plugger with good character. Well, I was wrong about that, but in a good way.

We are all human and fallible. Sometimes the most endearing thing you can do as a person is just show it from time to time.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't see this forum as representative of the Ottawa fan-base... just like Twitter is not representative of society in general.

When you begin to believe that this forum is a true representation of the Fan-base as a whole, you begin to make to many assumptions about the opinions expressed here, which further distorts things.

Casual fans are much better equipped to understand that ultimately, NHL hockey is just another form of entertainment.

Super fans, which this board is largely comprised of, commit more time and energy to it, but sometimes we miss the forest for the trees.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
I agree, you shouldn't in any case mirroring a message board to a fanbase.

Still, more often than not there are posters who share good opinions and sometimes they can be negative. Ofc you'll get a distorted view when reliable posters with a good reference post rather negatively. It's up to you to de-construct the message and put it into the whole scheme of things.

As I said before, there is a lot about this team to feel good right now.

Billy Bridges

Sep 20, 2011
On the Sens board, no matter how terrible you think the opinion of another poster is, always remember that they aren't a Leafs fan, so they are actually pretty smart in comparison.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
On the Sens board, no matter how terrible you think the opinion of another poster is, always remember that they aren't a Leafs fan, so they are actually pretty smart in comparison.

The Leafs board is just telling anyone who is critical about anything that they aren’t a “real Leafs fan”.

Yeah, I prefer our board.

Reactions: Deku

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
We are all human and fallible. Sometimes the most endearing thing you can do as a person is just show it from time to time.
My former hockey coach always told me to embrace every emotion equally strong. Nowadays I'm pretty sure he just saw a bad movie and stole that quote from it.

It has some truth to it though.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I don't see the negativity as much as a problem as its really limited to Melnyk for the most part. I see posters being really really optimistic about the outcome of most of our prospects, and cringe at the that posititivity at times. We as fans have had to witness some serious shocking moments and questionable decisions the past few years and even still up to now, so if there is negativity, I think it's warranted to a certain extent.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
5fcc569a0c63ca561c7fdf3d542f9dc7.jpg

Old but gold.

Not to sidetrack this discussion, but it’s not fun having a talented team that can’t get anywhere.

In some ways, it’s worse than what we have to go through.

I remember our issues in the late 90s and early 2000s getting past the Leafs so I understand their pain to some degree.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Negativity sells. News networks use it to their advantage as long as they exist. The way our franchise is run can only generate swearing. Anywhere you poke at Melnyk and Dorion is oozing pus. People are disgusted as they should. I find in the merde we are right now is worse then infamous Rod Bryden years and his inaptitude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad