OT: The overwhelming negativity of this board

Emerica

May 29, 2010
MZMA.gif

HF Sens throwing out the Count

Billy Bridges

Sep 20, 2011
I've offered this before but I'll say it again. I've never been wrong about anything in my life, so if you have an opinion you want to post, feel free to run it by me first and I'll let you know if it's correct, or if you're just stupid.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
There's been a lot of interesting perspectives in here. Two things have really stood out to me:

1. The "don't tell me what to think" crowd
2. And people not addressing the two main points of the original post I wrote

In terms of #1, no one is telling you what to think and no one is saying there's no room for any negativity. But I've seen an egregious amount of negativity, specifically concerning hypothetical scenarios. There's enough stuff to complain about with this team without having to also make up scenarios to get riled up about.

In terms of #2, hardly anyone has admitted one of the big problems here is the constant derailing of threads to have the same tired circular arguments over and over again re: fans, budget/money and Melnyk. No, money doesn't include talking about contracts but it's very interesting to note that the behaviour has become so pervasive that people don't notice how every single player discussion about contracts is inundated with snark, sarcasm and cynicism. I don't really see a lot of substance in those posts and they often instigate the type of disagreements that are derailing so many threads. Also, I don't think I've seen anyone yet offer suggestions for how we can all get along a little better? We don't all have to agree on every single thing. That's dumb and not realistic. But how can this group of posters find common ground in discussion to avoid so much of the unnecessary negativity and actually get back to reasonable, *on topic* discourse?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In terms of #2, hardly anyone has admitted one of the big problems here is the constant derailing of threads to have the same tired circular arguments over and over again re: fans, budget/money and Melnyk. No, money doesn't include talking about contracts but it's very interesting to note that the behaviour has become so pervasive that people don't notice how every single player discussion about contracts is inundated with snark, sarcasm and cynicism. I don't really see a lot of substance in those posts and they often instigate the type of disagreements that are derailing so many threads. Also, I don't think I've seen anyone yet offer suggestions for how we can all get along a little better? We don't all have to agree on every single thing. That's dumb and not realistic. But how can this group of posters find common ground in discussion to avoid so much of the unnecessary negativity and actually get back to reasonable, *on topic* discourse?

Well, now I feel a little bit unappreciated.

Reactions: DrEasy

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
One of my best friends eventually explained me what the internet really was and why I was maybe not a natural fit. He has been participating in political forums so imagine. I am still learning and try to develop more tolerance that people actually need to bash/vent/rant. It's so different than real life where people are more "politically" correct so it makes it very abstract.

Internet communication is certainly not the best way of communicating properly. We are so often accused of having a "tone" where in reality it's impossible to tell. There's a poster I always had a good "internet relation" with before that told me "why are you so upset?" and I was very surprised by this because I was actually having fun with the discussion, even if I was strongly defending my position. Like I said, it's a bit impossible to really know what is going on within the person behind an internet wall.

Anyway, an eventual meet up for a game once the covid is over could be fun (and once the team is good too :sarcasm:). Meet the infamous bad guy "xspyrit"!

Haha that could be cool. I've been posting here for shit ... probably 15 years. If not more. Never met anyone, but you get familiar with certain people over the years. And you remember people who don't post much anymore.

Hopefully if the team continues to improve, some of our old regulars will come back.

Except for count

Reactions: Xspyrit

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I don’t mind anything being said. Everyone has their opinions and we are going through a rough time in the franchise so of course people will vent. If you want to talk about how much of a POS Melnyk is, or you disagree with a trade then I don’t see why you can’t express that

Reactions: Gesus and Stylizer1

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I don’t mind anything being said. Everyone has their opinions and we are going through a rough time in the franchise so of course people will vent. If you want to talk about how much of a POS Melnyk is, or you disagree with a trade then I don’t see why you can’t express that

Was User25 really taken ?

Reactions: NyQuil

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I live at home with my mom (which I do admit is both bogus and sad) and she’s a middle school teacher. They know she cheers for the Sens.

And you know what? These kids (Who are hockey fans) are jealous of the Senators. Jealous we have Stützle. Jealous we have Murray. Jealous we own UND.

Not only will we be good - and sooner than expected. We’re going to be popular and exciting.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I live at home with my mom (which I do admit is both bogus and sad) and she’s a middle school teacher. They know she cheers for the Sens.

That's not sad at all.

And you know what? These kids (Who are hockey fans) are jealous of the Senators. Jealous we have Stützle. Jealous we have Murray. Jealous we own UND.

Not only will we be good - and sooner than expected. We’re going to be popular and exciting.

Yeah, it kind of feels like we're back on the game board or something. We sort of are maybe starting to perhaps think about mattering again.

Reactions: Gesus

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
Just a reflection of society at large .

Over emotional investment and entrenchment in tribalistic “team” positions and arguments.

Citing autoethnographic exercises as a actual backing for research and positions etc .

So true. I've been apart of message boards off and on for 20 years now. One of the first ones I was apart of was the Montreal Expos board on Fanhome. It was one of the most active boards in part because of all the drama that took place off the field rather than on it. I think what then and now have in common is that we all want a positive outcome that we really don't control and message boards become an easy place to come vent about this without any real world accountability. Personally I don't have a solution in terms of how to change this other than to point out that the Internet would be very different place if outrage didn't exist as an emotion.

Reactions: Gesus and NyQuil

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Edit: Holy I didn't necessarily intend to bare my soul this way, but I started typing and here it is.

Meh, I haven't read any comments above this... I used to come here every day about 6-8 years ago. There was a fight against negativity then. Fuhr what's up!?! I gave up and stopped coming here. Maybe it's a bit sad, but I've grown up with this franchise and it's honestly a big part of my identity. I can't speak to the negativity on hf recently because I haven't been around. I also want Melnyk to sell the team, please.

However, I also didn't hate us trading our star players away because we weren't real contenders then. The run in 2017 was the best and worst thing that could have happened. The best for obvious reasons but also the worst because it gave us an inflated sense of what the team could do. Tampa should've dummied anyone in the division that year, but they missed the playoffs.

I'm back in, though. I won't like every move, but man, I'm so frickin (that's allowed here, ya?) pumped about this team now. If we could get someone to buy the franchise it would be perfect, but please don't misinterpret anything I say as negative vibes. I don't love everything we do, but I'm so in love with where we're going!!!!

Reactions: variable26

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020

Nothing sad about living at home. Some time in the future you'll think back on the time you got to spend with family and miss it. Live your life and anyone who says otherwise can sit on a cactus.

There's something so nice about when the Sens get recognized outside of Ottawa. I think back to just after we went on the run to the ECF. I was out playing some roller hockey in Toronto and there were some young kids playing ball hockey off to the side. They were choosing players and all of them chose Sens players. "I want to be Bobby Ryan, I want to be Craig Anderson" it honestly nearly made me cry. Knowing that people across Canada were watching us felt so nice. If we can have that kind of effect on kids in Toronto I have no doubt that when this team turns things around people will embrace us again.

Reactions: variable26

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I think the key thing to keep in mind is that this board didn't become a negative pit overnight, and it's not going to return to being a great place right away either. Why is that? Because everyone views events through the lens that they have developed. The lens that many Sens fans have developed is a negative one that is suspicious of every action taken by management, thinks every move is about money, thinks everything that comes out of management's mouths is a lie, and so on. The result is that for a period of time, until that lens starts to change, there's going to be people that still see everything through a negative lens, even things that are positive. A good example is the Duclair situation. If the majority of people in Sens land has a "positive" lens on we'd look at the situation and think, "oh well, I guess management didn't see him as a good fit and wanted to go in a different direction." Instead, because a lot of people have "negative" lenses, it's pages and pages of speculation about the team being so scared of having to pay a player's salary that they gave up an asset for nothing, the negatively builds and all of the sudden you have hundreds of posts that are just unenjoyable to read.

By the way, the "negative" lens that many Sens fan is not without reason, I get it. It's been a horrible time to be a Sens fan for a long time. There's been a few moments of good along the way, but it always seems to be overshadowed by a negative event. What we need is a period of sustained positivity within the organization, and then that will, hopefully, lead to a period of sustained positivity among the fans and then be reflected in the posts on this forum.

For myself, I boycotted the Sens games starting in the 2018-19 season and I have only watched a handful of games since then. I couldn't take getting my hopes anymore and then being let down. It got the point that it was more frustrating for me to be a fan than it was enjoyable. I will fully admit that I had a negative lens of the Sens for a period of time and probably contributed to the negativity on here. I don't think it's so much negative these days, it's just a general lack of interest. It seems like there is starting to be a glimmer of hope for the future of the team, so I'm hopeful that will translate onto the boards.

Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

You will cherish it one day and shouldn't feel any shame at all.

I know I am grateful for having done it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank8

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
The thing to keep in my is that sports franchise go through ups and downs, I think that today with the new generation is that because they are playing NHL 21 or any other video game they thing they could be an NHL gm in real life. Many here believe they could do a better job then the actual gm of the team. There's a lack of trust towards management with good reason, im gonna be 50 soon and I learn over the years is that everything that is worth anything takes time to build. I wish we had a different owner but its not the case and hes not going to sell the team so I have accept that a long time ago, I prefer to be positive and cheer the Sens and support them, because all this negativity is not healthy, we have enough negativity in our lives as it is. The future is very bright for this team, we have some very talented young players coming, it will be awesome to watch they grow and get better and better every year. GO SENS GO!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad