The Out of Town Thread CV - Goalies Don't Matter edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
We can complain all we want about NHL officiating because it's at best, inconsistent, but NBA reffing is on the same level as International Soccer.

We're going to hear in the near future astonishingly illegal and depraved behavior by the ones in the very highest positions in football/soccer.

The hope I have for the NBA is that the new Don is aware of the issues and has been more demonstrably proactive than any League mogul in decades. I have some hope for basketball.

I have less hope for a Bettman led cabal of financial equalization for the expansion teams he pushed into the American south.

I haven't watched NBA regularly for a while, but yeah, I find their officiating to be the worst, aside from concacaf and the like.

It's as if they are writing their own story, and generating artificial twists and turns as they see fit.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It's all in the strategies.

I mean, as a fantasy hockey player, some more scoring is nice. On the ice -- which is what matters -- it's the strategies. Defensive, trap hockey kills a game and the entertainment value.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
It's all in the strategies.

I mean, as a fantasy hockey player, some more scoring is nice. On the ice -- which is what matters -- it's the strategies. Defensive, trap hockey kills a game and the entertainment value.

remember the early 2000 devils ? :help:

2000-Hull.jpg

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

2000-Hull.jpg

**** those guys lol.

It seems like teams are shifting to younger coaches, though. More player coaches and push-the-pace coaches. Hopefully more than half the league plays that sort of style in the near future. It'd be best for the on-ice product.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

2000-Hull.jpg

The Devils help killed entertaining hockey. I found the 2005-06 and 2007-08 to be pretty entertaining overall. Lots of scoring and generally fun to watch. since then we have seen a slow progression back to the Dead puck era type hockey.

HabsDieHard*

problem is not the numbers of goals scored but the quality of play... 6-4 games are no more exciting than 2-1 games nowadays.

Agreed. A lot of the time high scoring games come about as a result of sloppy play and lots of extra man opportunities.

I don't find that exciting at all.

I continue to maintain that they should increase the size of the nets.

I'd bet if you looked at the average height/weight of goalies now compared to 40 years ago the difference would be staggering.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The Devils help killed entertaining hockey. I found the 2005-06 and 2007-08 to be pretty entertaining overall. Lots of scoring and generally fun to watch. since then we have seen a slow progression back to the Dead puck era type hockey.
The Montreal Canadiens under Lemaire are the ones who started it. You can thank them for it. They were the Devils before the Devils...

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

2000-Hull.jpg

The devils started it much before 2000. I think 1995 was the birth of that devil identify.

If I'm not mistaken, I think lemaire took a lot out of Scotty bowman's book from the 70s too. I can't say for sure myself, but I do remember bowman from the 90s, and despite their high octane offense, those championship red wing teams could shut things down as good as anyone.

Capitaine Subban*

The hawks are finishing plays like Gallagher so far lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad