Not open for further replies.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Bruce confirms the new owners will have no say in the draft or early free agency... I find that interesting, but I guess not surprising

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Bruce confirms the new owners will have no say in the draft or early free agency... I find that interesting, but I guess not surprising
I wonder if they would steer Dorion at all. Like, would Dorion consult with them before signing DeB or a goalie UFA?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I wonder if they would steer Dorion at all. Like, would Dorion consult with them before signing DeB or a goalie UFA?

Well the interesting part of this sale process is that the Melnyk family will retain 10%. And until August/September, they'll remain majority owners but will be, I'd assume, in active communication with the incoming majority owner.

So perhaps some direction is sent through that way. For major investments like an ADB extension, you'd have to assume the board would consult the winning group before approving it.

Reactions: Flamingo

Butchy Dakkar

Oct 3, 2020
Well the interesting part of this sale process is that the Melnyk family will retain 10%. And until August/September, they'll remain majority owners but will be, I'd assume, in active communication with the incoming majority owner.

So perhaps some direction is sent through that way. For major investments like an ADB extension, you'd have to assume the board would consult the winning group before approving it.
What could go wrong? (sarcasm)

It was suggested ADC wants to know who the new owners will be, and presumably if there will be a new coach, in figuring out whether he is interested in a long term contract. So clearly that won't happen.

Now even if ADC comes to terms with Dorion, that will have to be run by new owners in waiting, to approve or (even worse) influence additional negotiations.

This is all speculation, but it does make the path forward more complicated for sure.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Would think that Dorion and DJ remain in place for awhile during the transition. But, I'd guess the new owners will watch the situation and the results very closely. If the Senators are out of it by American Thanksgiving, I would be surprised if they don't make some moves. They will have invested a lot of money and will want to have good on-ice results and ticket sales/attendance. I would imagine they'd be loathe to see either of those languish and wouldn't hesitate to make a move if the results aren't there. IMHO.

Butchy Dakkar

Oct 3, 2020
Would think that Dorion and DJ remain in place for awhile during the transition. But, I'd guess the new owners will watch the situation and the results very closely. If the Senators are out of it by American Thanksgiving, I would be surprised if they don't make some moves. They will have invested a lot of money and will want to have good on-ice results and ticket sales/attendance. I would imagine they'd be loathe to see either of those languish and wouldn't hesitate to make a move if the results aren't there. IMHO.
Unless prospective owners have already brought on board POHO/GM in the event they "win" the bidding

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

So perhaps some direction is sent through that way.

It's made a little more complicated by the fact that the team is controlled by the estate and its three-member board, while the 10% will be owned by the Melnyk daughters, personally. So technically, these are different parties.

But more than that, this is just the reality of a sign-then-close deal. The buyer doesn't own the team until the deal actually closes, and a seller isn't going to and shouldn't cede control when there's still a risk that the deal falls apart. At signing, the buyer will commit to operating the franchise in certain ways during the interim period, but ultimately they will still be the decision maker.

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
geez, take it easy on an old guy with the new threads. For a second, I thought the sale was scrapped and they were starting over.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Hopefully they have a mechanism to allow PD to operate in the gap between finding a preferred bidder and handing over the keys. I am sure they do, but hopefully he's not restricted by a lack of budget. I think he's close to building his team - but he's not been flawless by any stretch and its taken more moves than ideal. I think he wants a physical, heavy, strong skating team. He's got pieces for a great top 6 and he's got a great start to a heck of a D group. But finding the final pieces (including a reliable goalie) and rounding out the roster is still to be done. Another "summer of Pierre" could put us in a great spot to compete - I hope we aren't handcuffed by a delayed process.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Dubas would have been a good choice for POHO

If its Kyper thats sad for the franchise
Who are some good candidates for the POHO job now?

I know Dean Lombardi turned down Melnyk a couple years back, but he could be something to re-visit. His sheltering of Voynov was pretty gross though. Maybe Doug Wilson?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Why is everyone so down on Kyper? He plays a persona on TV as a media personality, but he is a legit hockey guy with NHL experience (playing/covering) going back to three decades. The guy lives and breathes hockey and has many connections. He is no Double Dion MacGuire type TV hype guy.

Not sure if he would be the PoHo, he could just be a special advisor to Steve Antostoupolooustosos.

Reactions: GCK

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Who are some good candidates for the POHO job now?

I know Dean Lombardi turned down Melnyk a couple years back, but he could be something to re-visit. His sheltering of Voynov was pretty gross though. Maybe Doug Wilson?
Wilson could be a good option. Ray Shero, Mellanby, Dave Poulin maybe?

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Why is everyone so down on Kyper? He plays a persona on TV as a media personality, but he is a legit hockey guy with NHL experience (playing/covering) going back to three decades. The guy lives and breathes hockey and has many connections. He is no Double Dion MacGuire type TV hype guy.

Not sure if he would be the PoHo, he could just be a special advisor to Steve Antostoupolooustosos.

He has no management experience at all, and he'd be getting the job only because he's buddies with the new owner.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Doug Wilson would be pretty sweet, but he wouldn’t have Ottawa to fleece on the other end though.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
He has no management experience at all, and he'd be getting the job only because he's buddies with the new owner.

Kipper is one of the lobbiest for Antopolousolous to invest $1B on the team. I would have a huge issue with Kypreos coming in as GM, but his 30+ years in the league will be handy. Anyway, it’s baseless assumption at this point, all we know is that he is engaged to (potentially) the highest bidder with deep pockets.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
In the spirit of fairness, Dorion obliterated him in the Karlsson trade though.

Let’s just blame that one on his health complications he was having but yes you’re correct.

Friedman was saying the other day that Wilson is back to full health and is interested in coming back to the league in some capacity. So he’s definitely an option for the new owners.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad