OT: The Ottawa Senators 2021; The Rudderless Ship - How do you like me so far?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Found this Mendes article.. No real place it fits.
Mendes: 10 thoughts on the Senators this week — Steaks for babies, a losing streak and more

Thought it would be good to have a running thread on how we are doing.. After 5 games .. the off season acquisitions have been brought into question.. The decisions regarding the lineup have drawn concern from the majority of fans and the media.

How we doin' after 5? Are we progressing?

How to balance the present and the future in this trying year?

We are in a rebuild .. are we making the right choices for the development of our young players?

McGuire: Sens continue to make confusing line-up decisions

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The Stutzle injury has skewed my view. Having Jimmy, Norris and Bath play front line roles along with Chabot and Tkachuk shows a commitment to youth. I want to see Formenton, Brannstrom and Brown integrated throughout the season in that order. If we start next season with those 8 players on the roster along with Wolanin then I will buy into the plan.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Watson, Haley, Paquette need to go. Stop playing fringe NHLers that can't keep pace and I'll be happy. I'd rather the team lose because the young skilled players are learning lessons rather than lose a game because the old unskilled players are not good enough.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Personally dont think I could be any more dissapointed through 5 games.

I kinda feel your pain but the emergence of Batherson and Paul has provided a bit of a silver lining for me.

The defense is where I'm really disappointed. They are slow and bad with the puck. Wolanin showed signs last game of helping there but it's easily the worst D I've watched this year and Chabot playing far below his usual standard hasn't helped. I wanna see Brann, Zub and Jaros tried out sooner rather than later.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I kinda feel your pain but the emergence of Batherson and Paul has provided a bit of a silver lining for me.

The defense is where I'm really disappointed. They are slow and bad with the puck. Wolanin showed signs last game of helping there but it's easily the worst D I've watched this year and Chabot playing far below his usual standard hasn't helped. I wanna see Brann, Zub and Jaros tried out sooner rather than later.
Pretty hard for a player like Wolanin to succeed. He has different rules for him than the other players, his game is to make plays he has played like 8 games in two years lol. Absolutely moronic player management.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Personally dont think I could be any more dissapointed through 5 games.

I don't wanna make it seem like I have an axe to grind against you quoting your recent posts bro but your post is a bit hyperbolic.

1) We have Norris and Batherson in our top line. Stutzle as second line LW. 4 of our top 5 scorers are Norris, Paul, Tkachuk and Batherson. Norris on our top line is actually extremely telling.

2) Wolanin got another good look and his 3 game scratch looks like it positively affected his mentality to ease him back in after nearly 2 year absence.

3) We beat Toronto in the first game. We were a Dadonov half an empty net tally away from taking them to overtime in the second. We went to OT against Jets in the 3rd. We lost handily in the 2nd. We outplayed Jets in the 3rd game until Stepan made complete boneheaded move late in the 3rd.'

4) Murray hasn't been spectacular but he's been steady.

5) We just incorporated 9-10 new skaters on the team with no pre-season.

6) Did we expect to compete for the division?

I mean... it could be a lot, lot worse, lol.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Excited after game 1, frustrating to watch since, except for the beauty first göal.

My wish list is to give Wolanin some rope, let him find his game, when he shakes the rust he is our second best D on the roster/squad. Then get Brown/Bran up for some games. Play Chlapik instead of one of the vets.

Silver lining: the more we lose now the more we can light it up on the back half while still getting a solid draft slot and instilling the “winning culture” heading into next season.

The wild card: Murray - he has not been reassuring. I don’t mean the goals he seemingly didn’t have a chance on. I mean the really weak ones (plural, 4 games played) and others that were not his fault but he wasn’t in position to have a chance of a highlight reel goal. I mean, he’s getting paid like a star player, right? For years to come.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't wanna make it seem like I have an axe to grind against you quoting your recent posts bro but your post is a bit hyperbolic.

1) We have Norris and Batherson in our top line. Stutzle as second line LW. 4 of our top 5 scorers are Norris, Paul, Tkachuk and Batherson. Norris on our top line is actually extremely telling.

2) Wolanin got another good look and his 3 game scratch looks like it positively affected his mentality to ease him back in after nearly 2 year absence.

3) We beat Toronto in the first game. We were a Dadonov half an empty net tally away from taking them to overtime in the second. We went to OT against Jets in the 3rd. We lost handily in the 2nd. We outplayed Jets in the 3rd game until Stepan made complete boneheaded move late in the 3rd.'

4) Murray hasn't been spectacular but he's been steady.

5) We just incorporated 9-10 new skaters on the team with no pre-season.

6) Did we expect to compete for the division?

I mean... it could be a lot, lot worse, lol.
Our own opinions and feelings are not mutually exclusive. The thing I was worried most about is happening. You can call it hyperbolic if you want I dont agree at all. I also couldnt care less about their record. I care about the team eventually getting to the point of being competitive. Burrying players and having different sets of rules for different players is the worst possible scenario.

How could it be worse exactly?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
One gif sums up how I've felt towards the team from beginning of camp until now:

XXO47P6.gif

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think progressing in getting answers for management.

I think we know that Norris, Batherson and Stutzle can stick around. I think we know Nick Paul is still upping his game to exciting levels. I think Zaitsev, maybe free from personal turmoil, looks rejuvenated. Tierney and Brown were solid multi year signings to give real depth. Brady is Brady. Chabot is Chabot. Dadonov is improving every game, he will be just fine. J. Brown is a good depth D. Gudbranson , in his role, will be adequate. Coburn can come in when there are injuries. Watson is perfectly fine in a 4th line role. I think they have these answers.

The other half of the team is where the questions are still out there, and by the end of the road trip, the picture will become more clear. Paquette looks lost and uninterested (although he seemed to more engaged). Anisimov, not sure. I don't think he will be given a fair shake not because there is genuine animosity to Arty, but more who is not in the lineup when he is playing. Galchenyuk, if he don't shoot, what else does he do? I think he should be in the first paragraph as I think the coaches may have seen enough. White needs to seize the opportunity...but will he? Wolanin desperately needs to build on last game...can he? Reilly is stopgap, but when will he play himself into that role? Last game was a good start after two analytically great games. Will Stepan end up as the 4th line center by the end of the trip? I think he will be just fine in that role. The goalies, too early to say.

In a nutshell, I am excited to watch and at least there is a plan in place. Shame that everyone wants the plan to be in place yesterday, but I just don't see how that can happen properly

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
In a nutshell, I am excited to watch and at least there is a plan in place. Shame that everyone wants the plan to be in place yesterday, but I just don't see how that can happen properly
I think there are many, many fans who would agree with your assessment. My frustration right now is that players like Paquette and Haley are getting time and they really shouldn't even be on the team. I think the team has more than enough vets to bring up 2-3 more young players. I honestly don't care if they win or lose right now, the development is what I want to see. Haley prevents that. Paquette prevents that. Galchenyuk and Anisimov? They aren't preventing it but how can a young player push them out without any playing time? It's a weird year but I think a lot of fans want to see more of the young players. Even if it means losses.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
But.....but.... our prospects and draft picks!

Listen if you like consistently high draft picks and fawning over could-be's and maybe-wills THIS is the NHL team for you. If you'd rather win hockey games with high paid talent...pffff move on sucker.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Like I said yesterday, answers will come soon enough. I thought Stepan would be the 4th line center by the end of the trip, but he was the 4th line center last night, and soon to be a healthy scratch.

Look, people can get upset at Dorion, but he brought in a bunch of insurance policies. Stepan was there to buy time for the likes of Logan Brown, or Tim Stutzle at center. Coburn and Budbranson for guys like Wolanin, Zub and Brannstrom. They are all very short term guys, just for this reason. But it won't happen overnight.

People want Timmy to play, and play a lot, but yesterday offered a glimpse into how that can get away from a young kid. He is 19, and he hasn't played much due to injury. -4 last night, and he will be fine, but we also have to make sure that he isn't shellshocked. DJ was trying to protect him, while the buffoons on Twitter are saying he is benched and blah blah blah. DJ has his warts, but I genuinely believe he saw the game going pear shaped, and tried to control the damage on Timmy. More answers to come!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It is going as should have been expected based on the players brought in. It was there for everyone to see and pumping their tires in the media was never going to change it.

They shuffled the deck, but its still a weak group of veterans and Murray has been bad to compound the problem.

Their strategy of shipping everyone off and supporting the kids with cheap veteran cast offs from other teams is about the best they can do based on budget, but ultimately not a recipe for success imo.

So be it, get another high pick for hopefully another cornerstone piece needed up front.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I had some hope with hopefully some minor improvement from last season, but they have legit came out and looked worse than last season, and that was a 30th place team in the league last season.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Like everyone I expected the team to not be good so that's not surprising, but what is disappointing is how bad Murray has been. I didn't expect him to be lights out but I did expect a passable starter. His contract is among the worst in the league if he doesn't turn it around.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Like everyone I expected the team to not be good so that's not surprising, but what is disappointing is how bad Murray has been. I didn't expect him to be lights out but I did expect a passable starter. His contract is among the worst in the league if he doesn't turn it around.

The problem with trying to evaluate Murray's performance is that no goalie will look like a passable starter in front of our dog shit defence.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad