Post-Game Talk: The Ottawa Devils beat Leafs; Babcock outcoached

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Well deserved loss, especially after poor performances in the other two divisional games (MTL, DET)

-One concerning thing is our play vs. structurally sound teams. We were fine against the capitals, although we did not generate much, but the habs and sens took us to town in the neutral zone. LA will be another big test.
-Matt Martin is useless. He has negative value on the ice.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It’s funny how Kadri had a much worse game then Bozak last night and yet Bozak is still getting more criticism.
Because Bozak looked lazy and Kadri was not lazy but not effective at all.

When Bozak does not move his feet he deserves criticism. He was not engaged for much at all. So both deserve criticism after last nights game. There was a lot of blame to go around.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Only boring for other teams. Winning and scoring 6 goals while shutting down the other team for 50 minutes would make that a very subjective statement to Sens fans.

we play whats essentially a clown-fiesta every game and hope the other team tries to play it with us
The attendance numbers suggest otherwise. OK I will concede that for hardcore Sens fans, it may be subjective, but for the casual fan the type of hockey is important. Back in the Heatley, Alfie, Spezza days, there was no issue selling out the then Corel Centre. In fact, for four straight seasons they were neck and neck with Toronto, even exceeding them in 07-08 (placing 3rd in attendance that year). It was no surprise given that the Sens were a high flying, highly skilled team. There were no excuses of the arena's location or transport to and from a game. The simple fact was fans wanted to be entertained and, simply put, that brand of hockey sells.

However, attendance has been in steady decline the last few years and it's really started to take a nose dive in 2016, coincidentally the same season that Guy Boucher was hired.
L8f3Ia5.png

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
The Devils made the finales multiple times and won the Cup. The Sens were only one game away from going to the Cup finals.

Honestly, I couldn't care less if we are a boring team as long as we are among the best team in the league.

I hate the trap but if it wins game, so be it. Maybe Leafs should implement it themselves against the Sens.

Reactions: AnishLoomba

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
The attendance numbers suggest otherwise. OK I will concede that for hardcore Sens fans, it may be subjective, but for the casual fan the type of hockey is important. Back in the Heatley, Alfie, Spezza days, there was no issue selling out the then Corel Centre. In fact, for four straight seasons they were neck and neck with Toronto, even exceeding them in 07-08 (placing 3rd in attendance that year). It was no surprise given that the Sens were a high flying, highly skilled team. There were no excuses of the arena's location or transport to and from a game. The simple fact was fans wanted to be entertained and, simply put, that brand of hockey sells.

However, attendance has been in steady decline the last few years and it's really started to take a nose dive in 2016, coincidentally the same season that Guy Boucher was hired.
L8f3Ia5.png

Well right now they don't have three superstar forwards like Alfie Spez and Heatley. They are playing with what they have. All credit to them.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Kadri had a bad game but overall this year he has been playing well.
Bozak to me is just a guy....he's not strong enough to win puck battles and he only has average skill.
JVr doesn;t win battles either ...all he does is score goals.
Nylander is a guy who can drive his own line.....obviously he's great with mathews but ultimately he should be on his own line......not now, but perhaps next year.
Marner is a playmaker who needs a scorer on his line...eventually he will run his own line too but now it would be interesting to see him with Mathews at least til he's out of his slump..

So in a year or too I expect to see all 3 of them on different lines...and by then we may have Kapanen, Grundstrom .Soshnikoiv et al on their lines..

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
The Devils made the finales multiple times and won the Cup. The Sens were only one game away from going to the Cup finals.

Honestly, I couldn't care less if we are a boring team as long as we are among the best team in the league.

I hate the trap but if it wins game, so be it. Maybe Leafs should implement it themselves against the Sens.
couldn't agree with this more

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Something about the Sens (Stone in particular) must be magnetic because several times the Leafs D (notably Zaitsev and Borgman) had their head up with the puck looking for an outlet and passed it right onto the tape of a Sens forward.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
The Kadri line, they individually and collectively had one of the worst games I can remember. Cannot really put my finger on it why, because after a while that game was so dull, one stops paying attention.

There was one play, on Ottawa's third goal, was really weird. It looked like a broken play, but it really was a set play.

They passed a puck off the boards. Then the player on the other side of the ice was streaking. It wasn't a rush, as the pass was not a pass. Wasn't a dump in either. But it worked. It worked too well, makes me believe that was set play.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Well right now they don't have three superstar forwards like Alfie Spez and Heatley. They are playing with what they have. All credit to them.
I am not disputing the merits of doing what needs to be done to win. The Sens played their game perfectly and should be given credit for it and deserved the win. However, I was responding to Raym11's "Only boring for other teams" comment. I believe the attendance numbers are a good indication that its not "Only other teams" that find the entertainment value lacking. It's pretty telling that a team that was 1 goal away from contending for the Stanley Cup still can't sell out their building, a building that already has 1500 less seats due to covering them with tarps.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Different teams employ different strategies and styles depending on talent they have in order to be competitive. Champion teams usually manage to adjust their game accordingly and manage to win most of the games. We have a relatively new team with loads of talent but still lack experience, the step for this team is to learn to adjust when playing against a tight checking team that usually try to sit back and pry on the mistakes of their opponents

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
This is just the way I feel when he calls a game. Again, just my opinion.
It's like 2 kids have made you a picture at school. The first kid you say wow, that's a beautiful picture, it's going right up on the fridge and somebody is getting ice cream for dessert. The 2nd kid is, that's a nice picture but I don't have room on the fridge so I'll just put it in the drawer over here for now. He goes on and on and on about Ceci,Turris,Karlsson,Hoffman (insert any other teams players) and puts the Leafs in the drawer.
I don't expect this on HNIC. If this was a Sens, Devils, Flyers network ok, but it's not. I expect even.

See if you can spot the flaw in your argument.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
This. Did you hear him chuckle after (I think) the Sens 5th goal? He's not even trying to hide how much he hates the Leafs.
He laughed at Claesson hugging Oduya on the bench after his boneheaded turnover ended up in the back of the Leafs net 10 seconds later.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
God that Zaitsev giveaway just makes me more and more mad, it’s like he wasn’t even thinking. Like he just remembered executing that play during practice or something and his body reacted and made the pass before his mind had time to even analyze the situation.
Yeah, that's the impression I got.
Yup, I understood what he was laughing at too, but overall, he clearly has a dislike for the leafs and their fans. He's over the moon when the opposition scores or wins. He's a baffling choice to do leafs games. I've always wondered if CBC/sportsnet thinks he "balances" things out because we have so many pro-Leafs media nationally. Because I can't think of any other reason why he regularly calls our games.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
What part of that isn’t accurate? When Kadri doesn’t score it’s always blamed on his line mates.

Anyways thanks for proving my point despite the fact Bozak had a average to decent game and Kadri’s was poor people still blame Bozak.

When either player plays bad they deserve criticism, last night Bozak didn’t play poorly.

Ever look at the usernames that jump down your throat for even suggesting there's a double standard?

It's the same old, same old.

Don't be discouraged. Just ignore and continue to make your valid points

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Ever look at the usernames that jump down your throat for even suggesting there's a double standard?

It's the same old, same old.

Don't be discouraged. Just ignore and continue to make your valid points
Let's see here.

We got leaffaninvancouver who is a notorious Bozak defender.

And we got Pookie who against all odds and new levels of mental gymanstics - continues to be a Kadri hater

I'm looking at the usernames.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Let's see here.

And we got Pookie who against all odds and new levels of mental gymanstics - continues to be a Kadri hater

Keep in mind my stance on defending Bozak is treat him like any other player. When he plays badly he deserves criticism, I only have issue with the people who micro analyze his play and try to blame him for everything.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Let's see here.

That's your problem. You just read usernames. Not the actual words used.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad