Post-Game Talk: The Ottawa Devils beat Leafs; Babcock outcoached

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
The team deserved all the criticism there is no question - but I think we should move on and look forward to next week. It's a long season and we are going to see quiet a few listless performance. We just need to be positive and fully support our team. I am sure we are going to see a much better effort tonight against the Kings

Go Leafs Go

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Kadri had the worst game of the season

Rielly had a bad game

Andersen couldn't make any huge saves

Zaitsev was very bad this game (first bad game of the season)
the 4th goal killed us ,jake gardiner just had to pick up the rebound ,gards is a veteran now its time he takes some responsibility

Reactions: PromisedLand

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I am not disputing the merits of doing what needs to be done to win. The Sens played their game perfectly and should be given credit for it and deserved the win. However, I was responding to Raym11's "Only boring for other teams" comment. I believe the attendance numbers are a good indication that its not "Only other teams" that find the entertainment value lacking. It's pretty telling that a team that was 1 goal away from contending for the Stanley Cup still can't sell out their building, a building that already has 1500 less seats due to covering them with tarps.

I do business with a member of the Lightning staff and they were told when hired that they were directed to play entertaining hockey and no more of this trap stuff. He told me they were losing fans and the building wasn't full and fans were not happy with the trap hockey Boucher played hence why he got fired. He was told as a staff to play entertaining hockey and open up the offence as the TB market is not as smart a hockey market as an original 6 team and their fans don't understand trap hockey. Ownership was embarrassed by the Flyers standing still one night and made a point never to see it happen again.

If was the leafs next time they play in Ottawa and the Sens go into their trap. I score first then just sit back in your zone with the puck until they get out of the trap and forecheck. Sit back there for the whole period if need be just pass it between the 2 D. Embarrass Boucher again on his home ice.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The attendance numbers suggest otherwise. OK I will concede that for hardcore Sens fans, it may be subjective, but for the casual fan the type of hockey is important. Back in the Heatley, Alfie, Spezza days, there was no issue selling out the then Corel Centre. In fact, for four straight seasons they were neck and neck with Toronto, even exceeding them in 07-08 (placing 3rd in attendance that year). It was no surprise given that the Sens were a high flying, highly skilled team. There were no excuses of the arena's location or transport to and from a game. The simple fact was fans wanted to be entertained and, simply put, that brand of hockey sells.

However, attendance has been in steady decline the last few years and it's really started to take a nose dive in 2016, coincidentally the same season that Guy Boucher was hired.
L8f3Ia5.png

It is a well known fact that the house has been papered for decades. Even in the heydays of the 06-07 season, there were thousands of freebies every game. The decline in attendance is directly related to what started a few seasons ago. It is now paid attendance only. I used to get 4 free games with a half season. I get none now, and even employees do not get to attend the game for free. That was last year.

No sugar coating, our fanbase isn't cutting it and we are not in your league, or any other Canadian team's league. Too bad because we have a generational talent who deserves better.

Leafs are looking great though, but your defensive game will need an upgrade to seriously compete for the Cup. Move some forwards, you have so many amazing pieces up front!

Reactions: leburn98

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
the 4th goal killed us ,jake gardiner just had to pick up the rebound ,gards is a veteran now its time he takes some responsibility

Or Zaitsev didn't have to give the puck away to Stone who is a take away machine or or or.... lots of blame to go around Saturday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad