OT: The Original OT Thread - Chit chat, Raiders, Rebels, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Agreed. MLB has the widest disparity between the haves and the have nots in major league sports, even after revenue sharing. The Yankees and Bosox spend 3-4 times as much on payroll as small market teams.
uh, the 2 LA Teams are typically ahead of both NY Teams and Boston, and there is a luxury tax, much the same as a Salary cap, the Knights had to accept

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
We're so far off from an MLB team that it's not even worth discussing.

You need a large metro area to support an MLB team. We're nowhere close. Small market team in a no salary cap league? Stop.
We need at least a million more people, preferably not from California.

St Louis does well for being in a small market. They have great attendance numbers. Lots of opposing fans would love to come here for a weekend homestand. Baseball tickets are usually cheaper too so they can fill up the stadium as much as possible. Vgk and Raiders tickets are expensive. You'd see a lot more families and kids at a baseball game than at any other professional sporting events and unlv bball games. I don't see that many kids at knights games because tickets are expensive for those who buy single tickets through sites like StubHub. Sometimes people ask me how much I paid for tickets and they wish they signed up for season tickets like I have. People pay double or more of the face value and I pay less than the face value for agreeing to be a season ticket holder for 5 seasons.

Baseball could do well here. We have more professional baseball players that live here than athletes of any other professional sports leagues combined active and retired. In the summer, theres baseball tounaments all over Las Vegas and Henderson from teams all over the country that are here for a week. I'm sure those kids and parents would go to a night game during the week. I'd certainly buy season tickets and keep my vgk season tickets as well as they don't overlap unless either one makes the playoffs.

Baseball would just require a good ownership group and a stadium. It can work here.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Agreed. MLB has the widest disparity between the haves and the have nots in major league sports, even after revenue sharing. The Yankees and Bosox spend 3-4 times as much on payroll as small market teams.

Cleveland spends over 110 million. Do the Yanks and red Sox spend 300 to 400 million on payroll? No they don't. Only for the burn the team to the ground rebuilding teams spend in the 50 million range, but there's talk about changing the rules to where a salary floor or a minimum a team has to spend is required to receive revenue sharing to discourage owners that haven't spent money on players and pocket the revenue sharing money. Major league baseball has a problem of too many teams being non competitive for many years because their owners refuse to spend money and might be addressed by the next cba.

Say Hey Kid

War's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
uh, the 2 LA Teams are typically ahead of both NY Teams and Boston, ...
Boston is #1. The Bosox and Yankees are both paying over 3 times what the As and Phillies (small payroll, not small market) are paying.

Last edited:

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Cleveland is not a small market, it has a population of over 2 million, the Cavs are #1 in payroll, and the Indians are in the top half in payroll.

Las Vegas metro population is bigger than Cleveland so we could definitely support a baseball franchise too and we would attract a lot of out of town visitors especially for weekend homestand.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Las Vegas metro population is bigger than Cleveland so we could definitely support a baseball franchise too and we would attract a lot of out of town visitors especially for weekend homestand.
City population might be larger, metro population is probably close, but Cleveland has their side of the state. There’s not much in our region outside of the valley.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Basketball attendance had been declining long before VGK arrived on scene. We all love a winner.

To some extent I think the Rebel attendance problem is also affected by VGK and, of course, their success. But I also wonder if there's a significant overlap in the fan bases of foots, hoops and hockey. Are they the same people?

In my case, I've always tried to get to a few Rebel basketball and football games each season, but this year I'm putting that money toward attending a few VGK games instead. Actually, that was always the plan regardless of how good or bad the Knights were this season, as hockey has always been my favorite sport.

If the Rebels (foots or baskets) were any better, I might still have tried to get to a game or two. Still, I do follow them, just not so much in person anymore.

I still have my basketball season tickets. You just can't beat around $20 a game for live sports. I miss a few games, but make most. I make about half of the UNLV football home games.

VGK tix are just out of my budget and I am not going to sacrifice a whole season's worth of UNLV tix for only one or two VGK games, as awesome as they are. I will just try to make my one or two VGK games a season as I have this season.

I have a feeling there are more than a few in my situation. I also think there are generational fans at UNLV who have been following for 25+ years that aren't going away, not to mention alumni. Despite the downturn in attendance and results, they can still count on around 9K for both hoops and football. I don't see VGK driving that away, but I do see VGK impacting the ability to attract the casual fan and increase the attendance significantly on a regular basis. But at the price point, it is far easier for families to go to UNLV games.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
St Louis does well for being in a small market. They have great attendance numbers. Lots of opposing fans would love to come here for a weekend homestand. Baseball tickets are usually cheaper too so they can fill up the stadium as much as possible. Vgk and Raiders tickets are expensive. You'd see a lot more families and kids at a baseball game than at any other professional sporting events and unlv bball games. I don't see that many kids at knights games because tickets are expensive for those who buy single tickets through sites like StubHub. Sometimes people ask me how much I paid for tickets and they wish they signed up for season tickets like I have. People pay double or more of the face value and I pay less than the face value for agreeing to be a season ticket holder for 5 seasons.

Baseball could do well here. We have more professional baseball players that live here than athletes of any other professional sports leagues combined active and retired. In the summer, theres baseball tounaments all over Las Vegas and Henderson from teams all over the country that are here for a week. I'm sure those kids and parents would go to a night game during the week. I'd certainly buy season tickets and keep my vgk season tickets as well as they don't overlap unless either one makes the playoffs.

Baseball would just require a good ownership group and a stadium. It can work here.

Baseball in the hottest weather states does not do well. Even the world champs have struggled to draw crowds. Winning helps but over time fans don't want to deal with the heat or be stuck indoors watching baseball. Arizona is a much larger metro area and not competing with any other sports during the summer and it's indoor palace is often deserted unless a big name opponent is in. Now the team and city are fighting over costs to make upgrades and renovations.

Unless they were perennial contenders an LV MLB team would struggle. Tourists aren't dying to come watch 3 games at a time. Locals wouldn't watch enough games. Its just the worst fit possible of the 4 major sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad