The One You Wish Never Got Away

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Whitney and Manny -- Not just because they were great on and off the ice, but also because the rationale for the moves and subsequent replacements were so poor.

I mean, I'd love to have Jake back too, but that trade at least made some sense (briefly).

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Whitney is first. I liked Andrew Cassels , not sure if he wasn't resigned and let walk or if he got traded to Washington, he was near retirement.

Big mistaske letting Malhotra walk, his flying kick in goal that got called off was something.

D MacKenzie, Calvert. To a lesser extent Ian Cole, who may have supplanted Harrington which probably isn't a big deal.

There is a theme here for letting guys walk and replacing with less costly players or players in the system, in hindsight, keeping most or all of these players would have been the best option.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I agree with a lot that have been posted so I'll go a slightly different direction.
François Beauchemin - Wikipedia

I think having a nice steady presence on our blueline for a decade would have been nice.

He's the perfect example (joined now by Karlsson, it would seem) of a player who wasn't showing here what he would later show in his career and it would've been nice to have that later career stuff here for those seasons.

Reactions: We Want Ten

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Whitney and Voracek. Voracek especially hurts considering what came of him and the trade result.
Agree 100%. Now I know we wouldn't have won with Whitney but showed the incompetence of mngt at that time (blaming Whitney and Sillinger and their play on the road as why we were a losing team and telling Whitney that Marchant got his money).
Jake was a good player that we traded for a bag of crap.

PubOFH

Nov 17, 2005
Johnstown, OH
I agree with a lot that have been posted so I'll go a slightly different direction.
François Beauchemin - Wikipedia

I think having a nice steady presence on our blueline for a decade would have been nice.
Ahhhh yes. But we got an over paid washed up Russian turd for 2.5 years who coasted around and gave us what...25 goals? Doug M was one of the worst GMs in the history of Hockey.

Personally, I liked Marc Methot a lot.

Reactions: We Want Ten

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
So - I gotta ask...What is it with Columbus, and players not wanting to play/live there?

From what little I know - it seems like a great place - granted it's not LA, NY, or Chicago, but then again how many other cities can compete with those Big 3?

Seems odd if you ask me.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
So - I gotta ask...What is it with Columbus, and players not wanting to play/live there?

From what little I know - it seems like a great place - granted it's not LA, NY, or Chicago, but then again how many other cities can compete with those Big 3?

Seems odd if you ask me.

Could you name some of the players you have that impression of? I think it's an overblown HFBoards talking point, mostly coming from folks who have no idea what they're talking about.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Losing Karlsson still stings. Even when he was putting up bottom 6 numbers he was often the smartest player on the ice and was bound to be "our" diamond in the rough. But I don't blame Jarmo one bit for doing what he had to do to protect Anderson. Screw the expansion rules.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Could you name some of the players you have that impression of? I think it's an overblown HFBoards talking point, mostly coming from folks who have no idea what they're talking about.
Panarin, Bobrovsky, Adam Foote, Jeff Carter, and Rick Nash.

Columbus has been mentioned by numerous hosts on Sirius XM NHL radio as a nice city to live in, and a good franchise to play for, but for whatever reason it's not a place where players want to go...Again - it just seems odd to me that this might be an issue.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Columbus has been mentioned by numerous hosts on Sirius XM NHL radio as a nice city to live in, and a good franchise to play for, but for whatever reason it's not a place where players want to go...Again - it just seems odd to me that this might be an issue.

Panarin wants to live in a big city or a beach. He doesn't hate Columbus. Quite the opposite.

Bobrovsky has signed multiple contracts (both as a pending RFA and UFA) in Columbus, but he doesn't see eye to eye with management anymore. It has nothing to do with the city.

Foote came here to earn cash. He didn't hate it here, but he wanted a quick buck and when he saw an opportunity to leave he forced it to happen.

Carter hated it here. This literally happens at least once with every franchise.

Rick Nash loved it here, he currently still lives here. Signed multiple contracts too.

It's not a city players want to go to because other than the last 3-4 years its been in the doldrums. Win games and people will follow. That's just the reality of small markets. You don't see anyone beating down doors to sign with Ottawa, Winnipeg, Detroit (anymore), Carolina, etc.

The only people making this an issue are the people of HF. It's literally never been discussed before this Panarin drama. At all.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

Rick Nash still lives here. Bobrovsky wanted to re-sign here for 8 years, and we said no thanks. Panarin has never said he doesn't like it here, he just wants to test UFA. Carter & Foote are the only ones that have some merit, but they're both d-bags. So two players out of how many? have truly not liked it here that I can tell....not a big deal by any stretch

Reactions: Fred Glover

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Panarin wants to live in a big city or a beach. He doesn't hate Columbus. Quite the opposite.

Bobrovsky has signed multiple contracts (both as a pending RFA and UFA) in Columbus, but he doesn't see eye to eye with management anymore. It has nothing to do with the city.

Foote came here to earn cash. He didn't hate it here, but he wanted a quick buck and when he saw an opportunity to leave he forced it to happen.

Carter hated it here. This literally happens at least once with every franchise.

Rick Nash loved it here, he currently still lives here. Signed multiple contracts too.

It's not a city players want to go to because other than the last 3-4 years its been in the doldrums. Win games and people will follow. That's just the reality of small markets. You don't see anyone beating down doors to sign with Ottawa, Winnipeg, Detroit (anymore), Carolina, etc.

The only people making this an issue are the people of HF. It's literally never been discussed before this Panarin drama. At all.

Not only this, but even if all of these examples were true... So what? Over nearly 20 years 5 different players have wanted to leave and that's somehow an indictment on the city of Columbus? Players wanting out and requesting trades happens across all teams in every sport all the time and people don't immediately think "wow, why does everyone hate it there?"

Reactions: Fred Glover

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012

Also, Carter didn't want to be traded from Philadelphia. Nash probably got tired of the futility (understandably).

Anyway, my answer to the original question is Voracek. I liked him as a player and a person. Also, that trade was bad on more than one level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad