The one that got away.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Maatta over Laughton in 2012 definitely pissed me off, but had we not made that pick..do we focus on Defense the next three 1st rounds and end up with Morin, Sanheim, and Provorov? As for Maatta, he has had an inconsistent start to his career and is likely never more than a decent 2nd pairing defensemen.

Neal or Vlasic over Downie in 05' would have been amazing.

Getzlaf, Parise or Seabrook over Carter and Perry over Richards in 03' as well. Although had we won 2 more games in 2010 this is a moot point. If we win a Cup with Simmer, Schenn, Voracek, and Couturier still here, it also becomes a moot point.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Laughton had like a third round grade.

Laughton had a late first or early second projection by most reports. 20 was certainly the top of his range, but not an outrageous reach. You may have been looking at estimates earlier in the season. Laughton was a second half riser.

The surprise was Maata still being there.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It was huge, and I think everyone knew it at the time. The fact that they won in 1994 and we never did is still impossible for me to fathom - even setting aside the pain of it, I find it incredibly strange. Like, it just doesn't make sense. That ****ing goalkeeping - we just never could sort that out to the degree we needed to. And the fact that this has been an issue for so long, considering the first 20 years of this organization's history at the position, is also super ****ing weird.

It's like the future of Philadelphia goaltending died with Pelle. :cry:

There have been great individual seasons sprinkled in but the fact that Mason has the 3rd most wins in the 50 ****ing years of Flyers history, says all we need to know about our goaltending track-record.

To make this more frustration, Richter was drafted 28th overall in 1985. The Flyers picked 21st overall and chose Glen Seabrooke (19 career games, 1 goal). I know we didn't need Richter at the time, but since we are factoring in hindsight, this might be my "one that got away!"

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
It was huge, and I think everyone knew it at the time. The fact that they won in 1994 and we never did is still impossible for me to fathom - even setting aside the pain of it, I find it incredibly strange. Like, it just doesn't make sense. That ****ing goalkeeping - we just never could sort that out to the degree we needed to. And the fact that this has been an issue for so long, considering the first 20 years of this organization's history at the position, is also super ****ing weird.

The goalie problem was a major organizational/philosophical flaw and it stemmed from effin Clarke not making it a priority especially in an era where bonafide starters were really key to contending for a Cup. I remember reading Clarke's philosophy about goaltending and saying the team in front of the goalie mattered most. He quoted Tretiak. I mean Tretiak wasn't exactly some swiss cheese goalie as much as the team in front of him was great.

The Bryz fiasco was the cherry on top...led us to losing Bob. Let's hope Bob continues to blow it in the playoffs...

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
2 for me

Morin over domi. This is looking bad now. Going to look real bad in the future.

Patrick juhlin over lidstrom. Same swedish too

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
2 for me

Morin over domi. This is looking bad now. Going to look real bad in the future.

Patrick juhlin over lidstrom. Same swedish too

Tell us more about the future while you're at it.

:shakehead

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Laughton had a late first or early second projection by most reports. 20 was certainly the top of his range, but not an outrageous reach. You may have been looking at estimates earlier in the season. Laughton was a second half riser.

Indeed. The Sportsnet rankings had him 29.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-draft-top30-prospects/

Mynhldraft's final mock had him 26.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2012-NHL-Mock-Draft/

MacKenzie's consensus rankings had him 28.

https://eyeonthesens.com/2012/06/18/bob-mckenzies-2012-nhl-draft-rankings/

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
we would be mentioning Claude Giroux in this thread if Trevor Lewis or Sanguinetti were on the board in 2006.
speaking of that 2006 draft the Flyers could of had Milan Lucic or Artem Anisimov instead of Nodl and Ratchuk. Also could of had Brad Marchand as well instead of Denis Bodrov.
1 ok player and 2 massive swings and misses in the 2nd round in 06

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
First the Flyers screw up by drafting Morin over Domi, then they screw up again by trading for a "third pairing guy" like Radko Gudas instead of getting Emerson Etem who would have been "our best forward prospect". :laugh:

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
I wanted the Flyers to draft Brandon Convery in 92. I had to wait for the paper to see how things turned out and when I saw they drafted Ryan Sittler and Convery went next to the Leafs, I was really bummed. I had watched Convery all season in junior and thought he`d be an excellent addition to the Flyers.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I wanted the Flyers to draft Brandon Convery in 92. I had to wait for the paper to see how things turned out and when I saw they drafted Ryan Sittler and Convery went next to the Leafs, I was really bummed. I had watched Convery all season in junior and thought he`d be an excellent addition to the Flyers.

I was so, so pumped that we got Sittler - I thought he was going to be awesome. Based entirely on his father's name :laugh:
Life before the internet was just blissful ignorance all around.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
First the Flyers screw up by drafting Morin over Domi, then they screw up again by trading for a "third pairing guy" like Radko Gudas instead of getting Emerson Etem who would have been "our best forward prospect". :laugh:

When will they learn???????

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
I was so, so pumped that we got Sittler - I thought he was going to be awesome. Based entirely on his father's name :laugh:
Life before the internet was just blissful ignorance all around.

And I had no idea who Ryan Sittler was until he was in the paper that day, but happy too that he might be like his dad. The internet sure has changed things.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013

The surprise was Maata still being there.

I stand corrected, had thought he was well into the 40s+ among NA skaters but maybe that changed closer to the draft.

Point stands though, Maatta was consensus higher ranked, better upside, etc. And above all, he was a huge need at the time.

Of all the decisions in this thread (Ricci/Jagr, Marshall/Subban etc) this is the one where, at the time, lots of us smacked our foreheads in disbelief.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Laughton might have been on CSS but they put their final rankings out in April leaving the CHL playoffs & U18 out of their evaluations. So it's not as up to date & can be an outlier to the other scouting services lists who do put lists out in June.

Laughton had a good late season run & U18 tournament which probably elevated him with other scouting services while CSS already made a verdict on him & others based off a sample prior to that.

Last edited:

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Yeah that's pretty much the only answer there is to this question. I have a book called 100 things Flyers fans should know and do before they die and it talks about that draft. There was still a fear of Eastern European guys with some teams. Seems as though the Flyers thought Jagr was a better player but didn't want to risk him not coming over or going back or whatever the case may have been. :(

Does the book talk about the Flyers drafting Anton Statsny before he was age eligible, only to "lose" him nxt draft to the Quebec Nordiques?

When i was a kid poring over Hockey Digest magazine and Hockey News newspaper for my info, this stood out as a big draft oopsie. Flyers could have had all 3 brothers, not even sure if Quebec ever drafted the other 2, but somehow they all ended up playing and starring for Quebec.

kammy

Jun 29, 2007
Yet to be determined... but I wasnt too sure about last draft pick Wade Allison over Vitali Abramov. Was really hoping we would grab Abramov when he was still on the board.

kammy

Jun 29, 2007
Laughton might have been on CSS but they put their final rankings out in April leaving the CHL playoffs & U18 out of their evaluations. So it's not as up to date & can be an outlier to the other scouting services lists who do put lists out in June.

Laughton had a good late season run & U18 tournament which probably elevated him with other scouting services while CSS already made a verdict on him & others based off a sample prior to that.

In hindsight, we could have drafted Brady Skjei over Laughton . Skjei is developing into quite the stud d-man!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad