The one that got away?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Jake is about the only one I can think of, but I don't see him becoming that player here...

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Ray_Whitney_Columbus_Blue_Jackets.jpg

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
dammit...Columbus Mike hit the "drops mic" moment...how did I forget the Wizard...

Whitney was 31 at the time.

Who'd have thought that he'd only decline at a snail's pace over the ensuing 10 years...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Has to be Jake. But I have to agree that he may not have developed the same here.

Also while not early in his career, it sucks that Nash and the team developed the way they did,.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
1. Beauchemin
2. Whitney
3. Voracek (not #1 because he wouldn't have had Jagr's influence here)
4. Brassard
5. Hitchcock (not a player, but a guy we gave up too early on)

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Voracek.

The Howson revisionists are quick to forget that ole Scotty traded a Ross Trophy contender who is only now 25 years old for JJ.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
To address the second part of the OP, which one would I like to come back to the CBJ? It's Voracek hands down.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Jake is the easy answer, but it doesn't haunt me because I understand why that was done and we ended up ok-ish for it. <ducks>

Not resigning Whitney still bothers me. Diving deep back into the recesses of my mind, I believe it was a financial choice between Sandy or the Wizard and MacLean opted for Geoff. No knock on Sandy, but thought that was the wrong choice then, still think it was the wrong one today.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Jake is the easy answer, but it doesn't haunt me because I understand why that was done and we ended up ok-ish for it. <ducks>

Not resigning Whitney still bothers me. Diving deep back into the recesses of my mind, I believe it was a financial choice between Sandy or the Wizard and MacLean opted for Geoff. No knock on Sandy, but thought that was the wrong choice then, still think it was the wrong one today.

Agreed. The correct answer was actually BOTH - and we all knew it at the time. I recall XGMDM being spooked about the Wizard's back trouble.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
The main defense on Whitney is that was the old clutch and grab NHL and he already had an injury history.

A major flaw in the Maclean era was the first 3-4 years of player selection were designed to be competitive in clutch/grab hockey. That changed, we didn't have the players and we didn't draft that way.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Hitchcock and Jake.

Agree 100% Jake would not be where he is now (as a player) but he is a big loss.

Hitch was one guy who got the best out of our players (including Nash) then the young guys quit on him and Management trusted players more. Epic mistake.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

It wasn't so much about money but term - Doug wouldn't go the extra year on contract.
Also that led to the outstanding signing of career 3rd line C Todd Marchant to be a top line Center :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad