OT: The On Topic Off Topic Thread: Hot Dogs are Sandwiches!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Just saw some commercial about some sleep medication. They had the words "sleep" and "wake" walking around like a cat and dog. It was bizarrely terrifying.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I have to pay a quarter to use a grocery cart?!?!?!?!?!?

You get it back when you put the cart back, I think it's supposed to be a method of preventing shopping cart thefts. I guess they assume the type of people who steal carts wouldn't be able to part with 25cents...

MC3Q5ua.jpg

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
So there are no stray carts leaning on your car when you come out of stores in Canada?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
You get it back when you put the cart back, I think it's supposed to be a method of preventing shopping cart thefts. I guess they assume the type of people who steal carts wouldn't be able to part with 25cents...

MC3Q5ua.jpg

Mad MC skills leave ya struck
I roll with my kitties i`m as hard as ****

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Since last decade alone, many cities in at least L.A. County have been fining people for stolen grocery carts, to the point very many grocers have been buying and using anti-theft cart systems.

As pointed out previously, a quarter to unchain a cart isn't going to prevent me from stealing it (if I really wanted to). Why not just use the perimeter thing that disables the cart when you leave the parking lot? Seems more intelligent in preventing theft. This other system is just irritating.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
As pointed out previously, a quarter to unchain a cart isn't going to prevent me from stealing it (if I really wanted to). Why not just use the perimeter thing that disables the cart when you leave the parking lot? Seems more intelligent in preventing theft. This other system is just irritating.

They should have an invisible fence that electrifies the cart if you try to take it off the property.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It would be too expensive to do some ''high tech'' protection. A quarter at least makes sure that not completely ANYONE will steal the cart. It keeps away some, but of course if someone really wants it, he will get it.

Anyway i`m pretty sure shopping carts are not that expensive for big chains who buy them in bunches It`s just 4 wheels, some pieces of metal and a bit of rubber. They will not spend more on security system for them than the actual cart money.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
It would be too expensive to do some ''high tech'' protection. A quarter at least makes sure that not completely ANYONE will steal the cart. It keeps away some, but of course if someone really wants it, he will get it.

Anyway i`m pretty sure shopping carts are not that expensive for big chains who buy them in bunches It`s just 4 wheels, some pieces of metal and a bit of rubber. They will not spend more on security system for them than the actual cart money.

I did carts for super target as my first job. I think this system is more for keeping the carts In the parking lot more than anything. I'd have to go clear across this huge shopping center to find the carts sometimes.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I did carts for super target as my first job. I think this system is more for keeping the carts In the parking lot more than anything. I'd have to go clear across this huge shopping center to find the carts sometimes.

Good point, i never thought about this

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
The all italian final for the women and Djokovic's victory in the US Open, Inter beating Milan in the derby, Italy embarassing Israel in the European Championships of basketball, MotoGP, Aru's triumph at La Vuelta and week 1 of NFL football (the Giants blew it but that's nothing new really): I can't remember such a fantastic weekend of sport... Ever! I was just missing the Ducks winning :D

DaDucks*

The all italian final for the women and Djokovic's victory in the US Open, Inter beating Milan in the derby, Italy embarassing Israel in the European Championships of basketball, MotoGP, Aru's triumph at La Vuelta and week 1 of NFL football (the Giants blew it but that's nothing new really): I can't remember such a fantastic weekend of sport... Ever! I was just missing the Ducks winning :D

only understood the bolded

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

We will get our ***** kicked tomorrow against France but i am just happy we can fight for a place in Rio in the Eurobasket. Since some of the games were also happening here in Riga, i went to a game too - Latvia vs Lithuania, it was really nice although we lost a game but we shouldn`t have, idk what happened to the team.
I see that you will play vs Lithuania in next game :) I will not watch but historically i have cheered for Lithuanians when we are not playing (i really don`t follow basketball much)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad