TSN: The Oilers are attempting to find a taker for Andreas Athanasiou and/or Matt Benning

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I still believe this is all posturing by Holland to get AA on a cheaper deal than his QO. "Find a taker" could be giving he and his agent permission to talk to other teams in the hopes of finding one who will sign him at full pop. With a flat cap though, that's probably not happening.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I still believe this is all posturing by Holland to get AA on a cheaper deal than his QO. "Find a taker" could be giving he and his agent permission to talk to other teams in the hopes of finding one who will sign him at full pop. With a flat cap though, that's probably not happening.

I can’t see Edmonton just cutting bait on AA after giving up two 2nds. That’s a price you pay for a guy you think will stick around.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I'm more curious about what this article mentioning Nashville shopping ALL of their centers. I think Duchene, despite his high cap hit, still has some value for teams like Minnesota who don't have any good centers. Ottawa has a ton of cap room and Duchene did well there.

Reactions: Sam Pollock

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The arbitration risk with Athanasiou doesn't go away with a trade. The consequences of a high arbitration award are costlier than normal throughout the league, in this flat cap and internal budget environment.

Reactions: _Del_

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
LOL.

No team should pay AA his QO with the players that are going to be available for cheaper in FA.

As a result he has no value.

Hopefully the Oilers can get him signed under his QO numbers otherwise hell go elsewhere and be a hot commodity as a cheap FA which will just piss off Oiler fans more

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I can’t see Edmonton just cutting bait on AA after giving up two 2nds. That’s a price you pay for a guy you think will stick around.
when they paid 2 2nds they did...however since then...he hasn't played well, does not deserve a $3M QO, and the league implemented a flat cap for the next 2 seasons...

if they could get a 2nd or a 3rd back then the price paid becomes more inline with a rental

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Ever heard the phrase "Don't throw good money after bad. "?

A better option is trying to find a hockey trade for a similar guy who might not get qualified but might be a better fit

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
No ones giving up anything for AA.

If they hadn't wasted draft picks for him it would be an easy decision to cut bait. They shouldn't fall prey to the sunk cost fallacy.

Reactions: Hughes Unleashed

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
when they paid 2 2nds they did...however since then...he hasn't played well, does not deserve a $3M QO, and the league implemented a flat cap for the next 2 seasons...

if they could get a 2nd or a 3rd back then the price paid becomes more inline with a rental
Why is someone giving the Oilers a second or third for a guy who "hasn't played well" and "does not deserve a $3M QO"?
The new team has to give him the QO or watch him walk to free agency, just like the Oilers.
Who exactly thinks AA is worth a qualifying offer and also wants to hand over a second or third instead of taking their chances at signing him as a UFA?

actuallynotPJStock

Feb 28, 2014
Letting Benning walk would be stupid, he's a solid bottom pair guy. Shouldn't cost much, from all accounts loves the city (he's a farm boy) and the Oilers.
While I agree that Benning is a solid bottom pairing or replacement guy, I think the issue is whether you want to qualify his 2 mil cap hit. In your opinion is he worth that much? Or do you not qualify him and try to lock him up at a cheaper rate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad