The Oilers and a healthy top-9

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
Yes, the Oilers are still losing. And I'm normally as pessimistic as anyone.

But I'm actually pretty optimistic when I look at the Oilers offense these days. The way the boys have been producing without McDavid in the lineup has been very encouraging.

I wrote an article over at Along the Boards today regarding the potential for a VERY potent Oilers offense once McDavid returns. Give it a read! Or don't. It's a free country.

http://alongtheboards.com/2015/11/oilers-offense-might-soon-be-something-to-fear/

How do you guys see the top-9 shaking out once the phenom returns, assuming everyone is healthy?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Hall Leon Purcell
Poo Rnh Ebs
Hendricks McD Yak

That is a line up worthy of drool with no serious weaknesses.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I'd see if RNH-Ebs can work with Hendricks to give Pouliot (imo the superior player) back to a recovering McDavid and a struggling Yak, but 100% agree on those pairings.

If all 3 pairs play at the level we've seen them play at their best, that's really scary. Too bad we're going to have to wait a while to see it...

JustinCider

Dec 15, 2005
Earth
Hall Leon Purcell
Poo Rnh Ebs
Hendricks McD Yak

That is a line up worthy of drool with no serious weaknesses.

I like Hendriks as much as the next guy, but he's the glaring outcast there. McDavid deserves much better on his left side IMO. But, other than that, that is a very solid top 9. Our problem is, and will remain to be our D, it's just not good enough. I'd move our first for next year right now for Hamonic, he's a legit top pairing dman, yes, more of a 2, but still, a minute eater that can play in any situation. I can see why that deal wouldn't work for the Isles, but maybe a 3 way would.

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
I'd see if RNH-Ebs can work with Hendricks to give Pouliot (imo the superior player) back to a recovering McDavid and a struggling Yak, but 100% agree on those pairings.

If all 3 pairs play at the level we've seen them play at their best, that's really scary. Too bad we're going to have to wait a while to see it...

Yeah, I would totally consider putting Pouliot with McD and Yak. The Nuge/Pouliot/Ebs trio has had a history of success though, longer than that of Pouliot/McD/Yak. Tough call.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hall-McDavid-Drasaitl
Yakupov-RNH-Eberle
Pouliot-Lander-Purcell

You load top line and have a second "first line".

Of course another option is to reunite Yak and McDavid

Pouloit-McDavid-Yak
Purcell-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Drasaitl-Lander

Three scoring lines

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Hall RNH Draisaitl
Pouliot McDavid

That's really all I'm sure of. I'd like to see Eberle get an audition on that line with McDavid, but we know Yakupov works there.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
If no one's moved out/injured, I'd stick with what the OP posted. I think this team is very dangerous with the two top lines that they iced last night. Throw a third line out there with McDavid on it, and I honestly don't know how you defend that. Each line has players on it that would destroy a bottom pairing on most teams.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
^only Lander has forgotten how to score. :shakehead

I actually think hes been improved past couple games. Maybe he regains his form or something. Hes amajor head scratcher. Dynamite end to last season, tore up WC and pre season, dissappeared since

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
If Lander can take faceoffs for Draisaitl or McDavid, that might be worth him riding shotgun as a winger for them. He's been pretty good in the circle of late.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I would keep Pouliot with RNH and add Lander to McDavids line..

Hall-Drai-Purcell
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Lander-McDavid-Yakupov (Lander takes draws)
Hendricks-Letestu-Korpi

That is a solid group.

I also dont hate a healthy defense group mainly thanks to Nurse.

Sekera-Nurse
Klefbom-Schultz
Reinhart-Gryba

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Korpedo-McDavid-Yakupov
Hendricks-Letestu-Klinkhammer

Lander needs to be moved or waived with the rate of production he has shown.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Hall-RNH-Draisaitl
Pouliot-McDavid-Eberle
Hendricks-Letestu-Purcell
Korpikoski-Lander-Klink

Yak gone for a Dman

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Aaaaand there goes three scoring lines. That third is brutal.

I just don't think 3 scoring lines is doable. How many teams set up their lines so they look like that? There just isn't enough EV minutes to go around. I agree your 3rd line has to have some sort of scoring but outside of Hendricks, our bottom six sucks. We basically have 7 4th liners.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
We don't have the horses for a good two-way defensive oriented checking line like all the West contenders have, but I suspect Chiarelli will address that this summer.

So when everybody is healthy, I'd go with:
Hall - Drai - Purcell
Hendricks - RNH - Eberle
Pouliot - McDavid - Yak
Korpikoski - Letestu - Pakarinen

space321

May 11, 2011
I would keep Pouliot with RNH and add Lander to McDavids line..

Hall-Drai-Purcell
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Lander-McDavid-Yakupov (Lander takes draws)
Hendricks-Letestu-Korpi

That is a solid group.

I also dont hate a healthy defense group mainly thanks to Nurse.

Sekera-Nurse
Klefbom-Schultz
Reinhart-Gryba

I was gonna post the exact same line up. McDavid just makes everyone he plays with better, and they can go ahead and feast on the other teams weaker lines while RNH and Drai's lines get the tougher matchups. I think defensively if we're line matching, we'd want RNH to check the other teams top line, then have Letestu/Drai's lines out there depending on zone starts.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I think we've now got the 3 pairings McL wanted before the season:

Hall - Drai
Nuge - Eberle
McDavid - Yak

The rest of the forwards will slot in depending on who is healthy/playing well

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hall-Drai-Purcell
Pouliot-McDavid-Yak
Lander-Nuge-Eberle
Korpikoski-Letestu-Hendricks

I'd try this and hope that Lander can get going again offensively if you pair him with 2 skilled guys. Hopefully thats what he needs an can regain some offensive confidence. He can also take face-offs for Nuge which should help our face-offs overall to make up for McDavid coming back into the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad