The official what is the plan thread.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Step 1: Sweeney/Neely buy a year by blaming all of this on Clode when things go poorly next season.

Don't have a step 2 yet.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
As much as I didn't like what was done on draft day for a multitude of reasons, Sweeney could still do something to bolster my confidence in FA, but I wouldn't count on it.

He needs to get a real good D-man who happens to be available. Since Green and Sekera are currently among the more high-profile ones available in FA, a trade might be better. Seabrook would be ideal.

Needs to be careful with big contracts, otherwise, this will all have been for nothing.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Chara to a contender for 2016 1st
Krejci to NJ for Larsson +
Bergeron to Minnesota for Coyle + Brodin

AMIRITE

:sarcasm:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I look at this weekend like this:

Liked the Lucic deal. People are *****ing about eating the $2.7m, but I like the return and think that's a drop in the bucket compared to what some team is going to be eating a couple of years from now after extending him.

Didn't like the Hamilton deal, not because I think he's not replaceable, just because I thought they should have gotten a better return. May have been some extenuating circumstances?

LOVE the players the B's got in the draft. Complain about when they picked them, and who was still there...meh. I believe the B's had guys they liked and they went out and got them. They easily could have rebuilt the D with this one draft and I like the F's they got as well. Senshyn is going to be this year's Dvorak, and have a breakout year with the Soo.

I think there are more changes coming to the team and am willing to wait and see where they are going before I freak out. I can tell you one thing, whether or not this works out for Sweeney, the guy has balls, and is at least trying to do something. All of the people pining for Chia, the B's would have died a slow, suffocating, painful death with him at the helm. The team getting older and worse every year, with big $$$$ tied to underperforming guys until the team was horrible. Sweeney hit the partial reset button and is trying to make some changes before the B's get to rock bottom. I don't agree with all the moves, but applaud the effort.

Last edited by a moderator:

mtchbx

Mar 10, 2010
I really think that they are still in the clean up mode after Chia left. Lucic hasnt been deserving of his contract for two seasons and Hamilton is rated much higher in Boston than in many other places. Hamilton wanted money and length of contract that are deserved by players that have played at a higher level than he has. There are also rumors that he was going to leave Boston no matter what was offered. Sweeney was stuck. He may have ben able to get more for him but there was probably more about this than we know. The big mistake was not trading Soderberg at the deadline. Neely has been the big problem here as he has done nothing to stabilize the team at all. He may be the issue if there is one. The scouting reports of this years draft are changing only two days after the draft as more scouts reports from more informed sources than Haggerty (awful) or Fluto (worse) begin to emerge. The Pastarnak pick from last year was panned at the time and turned out okay. Be patient and see where they go with this. It is still only June.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
This is more in reponse to the other rebuild thread but whatever.
I'm a fan acting like a fan right now. What is the right way to feel about things?

I'm not an executive, a professional, someone with connections who knows the real scoop as to why the Bruins have done what they've done over the past few years.

I feel like the Bruins had what they needed to keep this team competitive and Cup contending for years and they squandered it.

After the Seguin disaster (which I defended them wildly for) new management takes over and within a month they've gone and done it again with Hamilton.

I can't say what I don't believe. I can't excuse it or support it. I don't think our organization gets it and I believe it's going to hold them back.

When I say this team is going in one direction and it will be years before they can turn it around I'm not saying it because I enjoy being miserable.

I'm saying that because that's what I believe and what my gut tells me. I don't want it to happen and I went into this off season being optimistic but I watch this organization continue to make bad decisions and I just can't pretend to be optimistic right now. If that's wrong maybe I just need to step away for the summer and I can certainly do that.

I look at the teams around them and I don't believe they're going to get away with all these bad decisions they've made. I think they've fallen behind today and despite the fact I actually like the players they have drafted, it will be years before they can impact our roster.

I think we are in mediocre limbo until then and will waste several years of our core's prime and the final years of Chara's career.

It doesn't change who I root for or how much I want the Bruins to turn it around and do well.

But it certainly changes things financially for how I choose to be a fan considering the cost to travel/tickets to see games.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I really think that they are still in the clean up mode after Chia left. Lucic hasnt been deserving of his contract for two seasons and Hamilton is rated much higher in Boston than in many other places. Hamilton wanted money and length of contract that are deserved by players that have played at a higher level than he has. There are also rumors that he was going to leave Boston no matter what was offered. Sweeney was stuck. He may have ben able to get more for him but there was probably more about this than we know. The big mistake was not trading Soderberg at the deadline. Neely has been the big problem here as he has done nothing to stabilize the team at all. He may be the issue if there is one. The scouting reports of this years draft are changing only two days after the draft as more scouts reports from more informed sources than Haggerty (awful) or Fluto (worse) begin to emerge. The Pastarnak pick from last year was panned at the time and turned out okay. Be patient and see where they go with this. It is still only June.

No, the big mistake was using the 15th overall pick to reach for a player that wouldn't have gone until the second round. if Sweeney had picked barzal and Connor a lot of people would be saying the return was acceptable. His mistake was whiffing on those picks in an attempt to show everyone how big his balls are. Idiot.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
I think it's about accountability. No more big contracts just because. Got to earn it. Want to get paid $10 million? Produce like Kane or toews. I'm sure they'd love to keep both dougie & Milan, but their contributions don't add up to what they want to earn. I'm sure it's a warning to other players like Krejci, Marchand, eriksson etc that they have to produce like stars if they want to get paid like stars.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
No, the big mistake was using the 15th overall pick to reach for a player that wouldn't have gone until the second round. if Sweeney had picked barzal and Connor a lot of people would be saying the return was acceptable. His mistake was whiffing on those picks in an attempt to show everyone how big his balls are. Idiot.

He wouldn't have made it past 19 according to multiple reports. Leafs tried to trade up to 17 for him before we snagged him. GM's have different perspectives than the groupthink mock drafts and "experts" like McKenzie etc

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can

Sinyshyn would've been gone in the 1st round

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We should go with one of these 2.

A) Be awful and get top3 pick
or

B) Be strong.

Being average would be the worst thing for us, again. We have zero top potential/elite prospects/young players and we may easily end up maxing our cap on players like Beleskey and Franson which at best would make us a 1st round team, at best.

So again we'd have no cap left and those 2 would be signed long term without having any top prospects.

So either make killer trades now and in few years add these 2015 picks into lineup and expect them to contribute or be awful and get top3 pick who is ready to be an impact player real soon and end this nightmare fast, in being awful scenario we would have about 20M available cap next offseason with ton of assets to use on trades.

I would hate us to do trades/signings that would make us average next season and max our cap long term on average players.

Matt Beleskey+ Franson would be nightmare signings.

Beleskey with Anaheim has career high of 32points and we should pay him 5M to get 30 points in Boston? So why are some fans talking like we should get Beleskey?

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
nyc they are getting rid of bad contracts ans stop the ntc ,but i agree you will see another big move comming . i do agree the bruins seemed to have a good draft they went after the players they liked,i still have to see an uograde before i plan my trip to boston to see this team.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

Agree 100%. The Bruins are cleaning up past mistakes right now. This week will be interesting. I definitely don't think they're done.

I don't mind either of the deals just wish we could have gotten more for Dougie.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Step 1: Sweeney/Neely buy a year by blaming all of this on Clode when things go poorly next season.

Don't have a step 2 yet.

I laughed off the Milbury rumor but now I am pretty sure it is going to happen.

Step 2: Hire Mike Milbury as head coach (and trade consultant).

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
We should go with one of these 2.

A) Be awful and get top3 pick
or

B) Be strong.

Being average would be the worst thing for us, again. We have zero top potential/elite prospects/young players and we may easily end up maxing our cap on players like Beleskey and Franson which at best would make us a 1st round team, at best.

So again we'd have no cap left and those 2 would be signed long term without having any top prospects.

So either make killer trades now and in few years add these 2015 picks into lineup and expect them to contribute or be awful and get top3 pick who is ready to be an impact player real soon and end this nightmare fast, in being awful scenario we would have about 20M available cap next offseason with ton of assets to use on trades.

I would hate us to do trades/signings that would make us average next season and max our cap long term on average players.

Matt Beleskey+ Franson would be nightmare signings.

Beleskey with Anaheim has career high of 32points and we should pay him 5M to get 30 points in Boston? So why are some fans talking like we should get Beleskey?

I never want the steam to suck. Ever. The Flames right now are a prime example of not settling for being crappy. They knew they were going to ice a young team, but they went outnto be competitive every single night and they drafted well wherever they landed. Made the playoffs last year despite not being ready to Cup contend and they still have a very bright future.

Also, I don't see a single person clamoring for Matt Beleskey. Not one.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I never want the steam to suck. Ever. The Flames right now are a prime example of not settling for being crappy. They knew they were going to ice a young team, but they went outnto be competitive every single night and they drafted well wherever they landed. Made the playoffs last year despite not being ready to Cup contend and they still have a very bright future.

Also, I don't see a single person clamoring for Matt Beleskey. Not one.

I don't want us to suck, I want us to fight, but if they would sign players like beleskey and franson then I would take the sucky year easily. Those 2 will be overpaid with long term contracts and it would make this draft look even worse.

We need 2 killer trades to save this team right now, 1 topD and 1 top6 winger and hope that our younger players can step up.

I haven't seen Beleskey name that much here but on the internet overall I see beleskey wishes, which I can't understand.

Yandle should be the easiest target for us due to Rangers D depth and we need someone to replace Hamilton's offense, he is still in his prime and can logg big mnutes and take a lot of minutes away from Seids which is a must.
But again I'm not a fan about this but the situation is what it is and Yandle could be a huge help and his what 2.6-2.8M cap hit?

That would leave us a lot of cap to use on top F help.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Barzal and Connor kept coming up. Barzal looks like the Bruins liked the combination of what they have and what they wanted more than Barzal. Isn't he one of the kids that can't shoot too well?

Connor I am not sure maybe scoring in the USHL is over rated. Granted numbers look really good.

Bruins viewed more videos, read more writeups and watched games than the rest of us.

Has anyone seen the Bruins picking order for the draft? Nobody has but it seems they left players on the board. :shakehead

Last edited:

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
I have a bigger beef with the English on this board. I keep thinking the sauce bottle is empty again. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad