Movies: The Official "Movie of the Week" Club Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
It's a weird film because I try to recommend people to view it given how well it was put together, but it really is desperately bleak so I feel the need to warn them, and they don't end up watching it. ;)

I've been somewhat in the mood to rewatch it, but that's because of kihei's recent pick of Heima. Sigur Ros' Hoppipolla is memorably used in the Children of Men trailer.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
d79f379b05372494b1bfd2734ab3b5ff.jpg

Welcome II the Terrordome
(1995) Directed by Ngozi Onwurah

This movie, about race relations in a not too distant future Britain, defies criticism (though I will take a shot later). Technically it's not a very good movie, though it is one hell of a monumental expression. So where to start? For me, I have to start with its anger, which is an all consuming leviathan. The anger comes not just from despair but from the death of hope. The film was greeted with derision in 1995 in Britain, universally excoriated according to The Guardian. A quarter of a century later, a deluxe copy is now available on Criterion. What changed? Well, not much in the real world as the film seems like it could have been made yesterday and in several countries. How has it moved from trash to poetry, though? I can only think of one reason. White critics, and by extension, the white society at large, wasn't ready for Welcome II the Terrordome in 1995, seeing the movie as an alarmist, paranoid and, the go-to adjective whenever a woman makes a controversial movie, hysterical. A quarter of a century later, we get the point. Racism is actually a greater problem and more corrosive than we think it is, and no amount of empathy can really bridge the gap between my existence and what constitutes reality for millions of people of colour. Twenty-five years ago, when my daughters were little girls, I never thought about teaching them to avoid cops; when they were teenagers, I never worried that they would be targeted and potentially brutalized because of their colour. Black parents live with these fears every single day. So while Ouwurah's movie is cheap and rough and and raw and poorly acted, I am beginning to understand the impulse that would drive a black woman to make such an angry, unrelenting movie.

To judge Welcome II the Terrordome as a movie requires different standards than the usual ones. The movie does have some aesthetic positives, just not of the standard variety. The primary one for me is the purity of its anger. Ouwurah is pissed off and not in any mood to temper her anger or to channel it into a didactic moment. It is like she just gave herself carte blanche to let her demons scream as loudly as they could. She is perhaps too ambitious in including mythology and the inescapably soul-warping nature of slavery and how its past continues to contaminate our present. It's not that these things should not be included, but they seem to be beyond her grasp as a director to make them work as well as they might. Oddly enough, for me it is really her bullying of the audience that is most impressive. Scene after scene after scene is fiercely presented, the hatred that she presents and the anger that she feels virtually palpable and very much in the audience's face. It is an assault on the senses and it feels like an assault. I wished it would stop. There is nothing watered down in this movie; no place for the audience to catch its breath. To take one's scalding anger and unleash it as purely as Ouwurah does here is an artistic accomplishment. It is not easy to take but it is incredibly compelling to observe, partly because it is so unfiltered. That takes skill of a formidable kind--we would probably see more of it if it wasn't so hard to accomplish.

Looking at the film from a classical aesthetic perspective, which seems a perverse thing to do, the movie actually doesn't fare that badly. Is it beautiful? No, but it is has a kind of purity that borders on the beautiful. Is it true? Ouwurah, in nothing else, forces a revaluation of our assumptions. Is it timeless? Sure seems to be, Is it universal? Too depressing to think about. In the end, I will probably remember Welcome II the Terrordome less as a movie and more like an overall statement about racism, much like Picasso's Guernica is an overall statement about war. They are both art.

Last edited:

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Welcome II The Terrordome (1995) dir. Ngozi Nwurah

In a dystopian future version of London black residents have been relegated to a ghetto called the Terrordome. Racial tensions have reached a boiling point, and it's only a matter of time before violence really breaks out.

Subtle is the last word you can use for Welcome II The Terrordome. It's extremely in your face, and doesn't try to hide it. It wants to bang you over your head with its point, because from the point of view of the film, that's the only way to wake up white people to the experiences of black people in the west in modern day. The comparison to slavery are outright obvious. History of the last 25 years shows that much probably hasn't changed in that department.

I'm sympathetic to the point of view of the film, and I don't dislike its approach. Sometimes you need to be in your face and unapologetic about it like this film. And it probably is as relevant as ever right now. But I just don't think its a good film. It's just not fun to watch, in any sense of the word for me. The acting, direction, cinematography, none of it is at a particularly high level. It's not like the there's a rich thematic depth to explore either I feel. Or maybe it was just my general boredom from the film that kept me from considering if there was more under the surface.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
190803090827saturdaynightsundaymorning.jpg

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning
(1960) Directed by Karel Reisz

While in the late '50s when the French were stylishly New Waving and the Italians were busy evolving new approaches to Neo Realism, Great Britain was busy transforming its largely moribund national cinema by creating Kitchen Sink Realism, a radical shift in focus away from effete British middle-class movies to gritty working class films. A number of masterworks followed including Look Back in Anger, Room at the Top, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, The Entertainer, and Saturday Night and Sunday Morning. Next to Look Back in Anger, my favourite of the lot is Saturday Night and Sunday Morning. The film chronicles a few key weeks in the life of Arthur Seaton (Albert Finney),a young British lad stuck in a middling job with a bit of a chip on his shoulder that looks like it might get bigger with time. He plans to scrupulously avoid the fate of those around him, whom, like his parents, he sees as "dead from the head up." Arthur spends a good deal of his time in pubs, and he is a bit of a lady's man, though he would scoff at the term. He is currently having an affair with Brenda, an older woman, the wife of a fellow worker who is an acquaintance of his. Things soon get very complicated as Brenda becomes pregnant at about the same time Arthur is semi-falling for pretty Doreen. Suddenly, Arthur, who wishes to avoid dead-end domesticity at any cost, is caught in a dilemma of his own making. His dalliance with Brenda leads to a severe beating as Arthur realizes the affair is well and truly over. Meanwhile he can't quite resist the charms of Doreen. The movie ends with Doreen and Arthur on the path to the domesticity and predictability that he dreads. He throws a stone and tells her, it's not the last stone he will throw. His useful rebellion has come to this.

The movie is both an expose of the drudgery of working class lives and an indictment of class-bound England and all its absurdities. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning has a marvelous kind of nervous energy thanks to Albert Finney as Arthur. Richard Burton, Tom Courtenay, Michael Caine, Laurence Harvey, the already established Dirk Bogarde and Laurence Olivier, along with Finney, gave these movies a robust star power that most bloodless English dramas of this period lacked. Though the grimy factory setting helps a great deal, Finney really makes the movie. You can see in Arthur the middle-aged soccer lout who will ravage Europe in the late '70s and '80s. But Finney supplies just enough charm so as we can't abandon Arthur entirely. He can be thoughtless and obnoxious, but no one wants to think that they are trapped in an endless rut with no escape. He is understandably disdainful about what life has to offer him, but, the problem is, he doesn't possess anything that he really needs to break the cycle. Despite his resistance, he is just like everybody else, his fate determined by the time and place of his birth.

The movie makes for a devastating statement about life in England, but it isn't a chore to watch in the least. As Johnny Rotten used to say, "Anger is an energy." And Kitchen Sink movies use that energy to present vivid, compelling, damning portraits of then contemporary England. While the late '50s and the entire '60s was the Golden Age of this genre, directors like Ken Loach (Kes; The Wind That Shakes the Barley) and Mike Leigh (Secrets & Lies; Vera Drake) continue the tradition into the 21st century.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Reisz (1960)
“Where does all this fighting get you?”

Arthur’s a bit of a bastard. Young, brash, arrogant. He lives and works in a factory town, making bicycles. The focus of his life is the evenings though. Fighting, carousing. He probably does a little too much of both, but he ain’t going to let any introspection slow him down. At least for a while. He’s juggling an affair with the wife of a coworker and a comely young lass he recently met. These threads collide at a carnival where he takes a well deserved ass beating that ends one relationship and sends him right into the other. Is he making the right decision?
One of the premier British Kitchen Sink Dramas and perhaps the best of the “angry young man” films hailing from the country. The setting and accents root it in a time and place, but it’s a fairly universal story. Directionless youth, rebelling against society and system in whatever way they see fit.

It’s funny watching a story like this at my age now. It isn’t that I don’t identify or even root for Arthur as I’ve gotten older. But I definitely see how much more of a lout he is than I did watching this in college. He’s aggressive and combative. Doesn’t seem like he’d actually be much of a good time.

There’s a big positive to him though in that he’s played by Albert Finney in just a stellar performance of gruff charm and chip-on-the-shoulder grudging. That I rooted for him is a testament to Finney’s acting. There is an odd, stubborn honor to the man. He may deserve the beating he takes, but he’d be man enough to do the beating himself, not enlist a group of friends, were the situation reversed.

His ultimate capitulation to domesticity feels like short-term result (similar vibes from Trainspotting decades later). Societal norms may win this battle, but it’s clear Arthur’s war will wage on for some time.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Reisz (1960)
“Where does all this fighting get you?”

Arthur’s a bit of a bastard. Young, brash, arrogant. He lives and works in a factory town, making bicycles. The focus of his life is the evenings though. Fighting, carousing. He probably does a little too much of both, but he ain’t going to let any introspection slow him down. At least for a while. He’s juggling an affair with the wife of a coworker and a comely young lass he recently met. These threads collide at a carnival where he takes a well deserved ass beating that ends one relationship and sends him right into the other. Is he making the right decision?
One of the premier British Kitchen Sink Dramas and perhaps the best of the “angry young man” films hailing from the country. The setting and accents root it in a time and place, but it’s a fairly universal story. Directionless youth, rebelling against society and system in whatever way they see fit.

It’s funny watching a story like this at my age now. It isn’t that I don’t identify or even root for Arthur as I’ve gotten older. But I definitely see how much more of a lout he is than I did watching this in college. He’s aggressive and combative. Doesn’t seem like he’d actually be much of a good time.

There’s a big positive to him though in that he’s played by Albert Finney in just a stellar performance of gruff charm and chip-on-the-shoulder grudging. That I rooted for him is a testament to Finney’s acting. There is an odd, stubborn honor to the man. He may deserve the beating he takes, but he’d be man enough to do the beating himself, not enlist a group of friends, were the situation reversed.

His ultimate capitulation to domesticity feels like short-term result (similar vibes from Trainspotting decades later). Societal norms may win this battle, but it’s clear Arthur’s war will wage on for some time.
I don't think he wins the war, though, now or later.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I don't think he wins the war, though, now or later.

Agreed. That was going to be an extremely unpleasant house to live in...

Watched this two weeks ago and still thinking about Finney in this.

I remember watching this and This Sporting Life for a class in college. I favored the latter slightly at the time. May need to revisit.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Agreed. That was going to be an extremely unpleasant house to live in...

Watched this two weeks ago and still thinking about Finney in this.

I remember watching this and This Sporting Life for a class in college. I favored the latter slightly at the time. May need to revisit.
Should maybe watch This Sporting Life again before you reset. That's a pretty good movie, too..

Have you seen Look Back in Anger?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I heard the deal was Tarkovsky for Herzog, Wenders, Breillat and a firxt round draft choice. Not sure it's enough.

I wouldn't go for Tarkovsky. Sure maybe he puts you over the top and get you multiple awards (Oscar, Palme d'or, Golden Lion) but the other three will have long careers and are the best prospect pool in the industry. Future's too bright to go for the present. And a first? No way.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I wouldn't go for Tarkovsky. Sure maybe he puts you over the top and get you multiple awards (Oscar, Palme d'or, Golden Lion) but the other three will have long careers and are the best prospect pool in the industry. And a first? No way.

Ahah, Tarko winning an Oscar, that would be gold. You'd have a lot more chance for that with Wenders and Herzog. Breillat dead last on the list for the Academy.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Ahah, Tarko winning an Oscar, that would be gold. You'd have a lot more chance for that with Wenders and Herzog. Breillat dead last on the list for the Academy.

I hate explaining the joke - as I know you're not really a hockey fan - but I'm playing into the trade board's hyperbolic themes where a ton of posters seem like they'd rather forego a Cup than trade the shiny prospectz. May have worked a bit better if the group of filmmakers were all Germans.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Actually forgot I'd downloaded an mp4 quality version of Look Back In Anger on my old Android tablet, gonna give it a watch this week as I've been on a pretty good streak with British b/w classics the past year.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Actually forgot I'd downloaded an mp4 quality version of Look Back In Anger on my old Android tablet, gonna give it a watch this week as I've been on a pretty good streak with British b/w classics the past year.
Great performances and a watershed film, but keep in mind Look Back in Anger is a product of its time and place--it is much more difficult to watch now than it was when it was first released, I suspect.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (1960) dir. Karel Reisz

Arthur Seaton (Albert Finney) is a young machinist working in a factory. He's opposed to the traditional tied down marital life he sees around him, and in his eyes he only sees misery down that path. Instead he spends his weekends drinking and having a good time. He has an ongoing affair with Brenda, the wife of one of his older coworkers, who he accidentally impregnates. Neither are interested in keeping the baby, but Arhur offers to help raise the child, or assist in terminating the pregnancy. Meanwhile Arthur starts a relationship with Doreen a young woman his own age. Who however is not interested in having sex with Arthur right away.

One of the first so called Kitchen Sink dramas, focused on the british working class as a serious source of drama, for better or worse. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning in no way romanticises working class life, most of it is dreary, boring and cramped, and the best entertainment around is getting blackout drunk in the pub on fridays and saturdays. Nothing much to look forward to. Arthur however is determined to make the best of it, which appears to be winning drinking contests and having sex. Admittedly not terrible options, but they seem to mainly be distractions that are supposed to keep Arthur from becoming like his parents. What exactly he wants to do he doesn't appear to know, he mainly knows what he doesn't want to end up like. Problem is that society doesn't present other options for a man like him. He's only presented with a life of living in a small cramped house with a wife and an army of kids, and working in factories until retirement, if he makes it that far. His frustration is understandable, but how to escape it? It seems almost impossible, and at the end Arthuer seems to give up, and settle for a home life with Doreen. Does he love her? Quite possibly so. Is it a happy ending? Not so sure.

Albert Finney was a young unknown actor by the time this movie came out, afterwards, not so unknown anymore. It landed him his only Bafta win, although in the lesser "most promising newcomer" category, and he would gather an additional 11 nominations, but no additional wins. but he was a star now. And for good reason. His performance is amazing here. He has impeccable screen presence, he just takes over every scene he's in. Arthur carries a whole lot of emotion on the outside, but also has a big depth of emotions underneath, which often runs in contrast with what he's showing on the outside. And Finney does incredibly well at showing both sides of Arthur.

Reactions: kihei

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (1960) directed by Karl Reisz

A young working class troublemaker named Arthur (Albert Finney) spends his time outside of the factory where he works getting smashed at the pub, having affairs with his co-worker’s wife, and getting into trouble in the neighbourhood with his cousin. He spends his time indulging in all of his impulses to avoid feeling “dead from the neck up” like his parents and to resist the oppressive doldrums of an expected marital life in a working-class city.

A kitchen sink realist, I went into it knowing nothing about the film other than that it was part of that film movement and that it starred a very young Albert Finney, so I went into it expecting a depressing film about working class struggles. Maybe that’s just how I’ve classified these types of films in my mind, and maybe because I’ve only seen late 90s and 21st century films from the genre by Ken Loach and Mike Leigh, but I was surprised by how lively this film was and by how funny it is. While Arthur certainly fits into the trope of Angry Young Man from these films, he is played with effortless charisma by Finney who is full of excellent one liners and in a thick working class accent (honestly was glad I had subtitles or else I would have lost some of these great lines). But don’t get him wrong, he is a volatile young man who is on the verge of self-destruction, and Finney plays him with such intensity that you’ll never know when he’ll oscillate from charm to brute. Finney’s talents are on full display and its clear he’s a star in the making in this film.

This film also makes me want to look into some more 1960s kitchen sink films, as it’s a genre from film history I’ve admittedly neglected.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Also don't know why it took me this long to realize that there's been a running film club on this forum, but I'd love to jump into the fray. And in doing so suggest F.W. Murnau's Faust (1926) for my film of the week
Welcome aboard. I'll put Faust in the queue (see page 1).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad