The OFFICIAL Flyers Cronyism Chart

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
OFFICIAL, albeit incomplete. There is no way to fully encapsulate the extent of this cancer, and it deserves to be known by all. Big props to Hanrahan who, from what I could gather, basically worked his way up. Good job. Note the 2 former NHLers who played both on the Flyers and Wild lol

pdVlTyf.png

Just the tip of the horseshit iceberg in what is becoming the NHL's biggest joke of a franchise. This is the result of salary cap implementation, where value can't be bought in FA but must be pried out of the margins. In other words, you have to be smart. These cronies are not, but year after year more are packed into hockey ops. In fact, they're unable to identify the valuable attributes that drive success in the NHL and many hold positions based on camaraderie, not merit. The archaic hockey views that permeate the organization prohibit any optimism until literally everything changes.

Dark times in Flyerdom

Last edited:

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
Hey bo’ that’s an interesting chart you got there. Things come full circle for some of them guys

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
There's a few teams like this. My Wings being one of them. For now it's not cronyism or nepotism it's "guys who have passion for the organization and have good hockey minds". Thus far the direction the team is going they seem to be doing good work, but if things go south it'll be interesting to see how the fanbase things of them.
But back to the Flyers, that's impressive. Talk about a lack of an outside perspective.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the biggest issue always seems to be goaltending.

Drafted Richards and Carter. Then Giroux. Had some success and successfully made trades for a player like Pronger, but missing goaltending hurt them.

Decided to go in a different direction and made some nice moves. Traded Carter Columbus for Voracek and a 1st (Couturier) and Richards for Schenn and Simmonds. That's 4 Forwards that were good, or very good at various points for the flyers.

Schenn was traded for a 1st + iirc.

Flyers drafted Provorov, Konecny, Farabee and a few others that are helping the team right now. Made a trade for Risto, which wasn't the best because Risto sucks, but the Ellis trade was decent.

Hart took a step back or he's now playing at the level suited for him, or whatever.

In short I'm not a flyers fan, so I'm sure those in charge suck, but a solid goalie would have taken them much farther

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the biggest issue always seems to be goaltending.

Drafted Richards and Carter. Then Giroux. Had some success and successfully made trades for a player like Pronger, but missing goaltending hurt them.

Decided to go in a different direction and made some nice moves. Traded Carter Columbus for Voracek and a 1st (Couturier) and Richards for Schenn and Simmonds. That's 4 Forwards that were good, or very good at various points for the flyers.

Flyers drafted Provorov, Konecny, Farabee and a few others that are helping the team right now. Made a trade for Risto, which wasn't the best because Risto sucks, but the Ellis trade was decent.

Hart took a step back or he's now playing at the level suited for him, or whatever.

In short I'm not a flyers fan, so I'm sure those in charge suck, but a solid goalie would have taken them much farther
Sure it did, but that hasn't been the issue lately.

The biggest issue in the last decade is them not being able to use their 1970s hockey brains to effectively identify what it takes to win in 2022.

They LOVE league worst talent. Love it. Stewart, Brown, Grant, Hagg, Seeler, McEwan Prosser, VandeVelde, Lehtera, Thompson x2...it's a lot of fun

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The only real issue with this Flyers Family Tree "inbreeding" is a lack of championships unless you go back to the mid 70s. If they had a cup here and there this would be "look at that winning culture." By my estimation (based on Edmonton, you'd probably have to have a championship somewhere around the mid to late 90s to justify having so many alumni, friends and family before the success to cronyism ratio becomes a problem).

Beautiful graphic and research though.

Reactions: WhataKnight

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
OFFICIAL, albeit incomplete. There is no way to fully encapsulate the extent of this cancer, and it deserves to be known by all. Big props to Hanrahan who, from what I could gather, basically worked his way up. Good job. Note the 2 former NHLers who played both on the Flyers and Wild lol

pdVlTyf.png

Just the tip of the horseshit iceberg in what is becoming the NHL's biggest joke of a franchise. This is the result of salary cap implementation, where value can't be bought in FA but must be pried out of the margins. In other words, you have to be smart. These cronies are not, but year after year more are packed into hockey ops. In fact, they're unable to identify the valuable attributes that drive success in the NHL and many hold positions based on camaraderie, not merit. The archaic hockey views that permeate the organization prohibit any optimism until literally everything changes.

Dark times in Flyerdom

I thought this thread was about PHI, not ARI?

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
This a thing you can find all over sports, especially the nhl. I realized the other day that Mike Grier has a role in hockey operations for the Rangers now, aka Drury's old college and NHL teammate. All these operations are old men clubs which is why a lack of diversity is always a major issue throughout sports.

TH1Pool

Apr 22, 2006
Lancaster, PA
I’m 34 and always had this belief that my Flyers have been a competitive, perennial playoff contender for most of my life, only until recently in the past decade have they sucked.

but then I realize they’ve mostly sucked the entire past decade; and that’s most of my actual adult life. And as a kid, I was so biased that I assumed every Flyers player I liked was an all star (I thought Daymond Langkow and Keith Jones were the shit) and that all other teams strived to be like the Flyers.

So really, I think my entire life as a flyers fan has been a skewed childhood fandom, and adult mediocrity. And that would make me feel sad if I didn’t hate them for who they really are at this point.

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That really is a nicely put together graphic.

Pro sports are incredibly inbred, and hockey more than maybe any other.

This chart also leaves out a bunch of former player/Clarke buddy scouts. There just isn't anywhere near enough space to fully flesh out how ridiculously inbred the Flyers are, but this is a really solid foundation. There's a reason why nothing ever changes with the team and how they operate and with what they value and pursue.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This a thing you can find all over sports, especially the nhl. I realized the other day that Mike Grier has a role in hockey operations for the Rangers now, aka Drury's old college and NHL teammate. All these operations are old men clubs which is why a lack of diversity is always a major issue throughout sports.

At first I was intrigued by Hakstol's hiring because he said some interesting things about utilizing dmen (which we had invested a lot of draft capital into), but then it was pointed out that he was Brett Hextall's college coach. The dude hired and refused to fire his son's coach. Also he hired his son.

The Flyers also wasted a draft pick drafting Peter Luukko's son.

In a salary capped era that demands efficiency and creativity to win, the Flyers double down on grotesque inefficient cronyism and abhor creativity.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

The majority if the stuff you brought up happened 10 to 15 years ago. It's just been a slow downward spiral since 2011. And the rot goes way, way deeper then not getting a goalie. If anything they have had league average or better goaltending for the major of that 11 year period. They run their hickey team like it is 1996, all that matters is getting pucks deep and the salary cap doesn't exist.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
This is how the world turns round. Not just hockey, not just Flyers. Actually to me this looks pretty clean to be honest.

mottosays

Feb 1, 2022

I think the Pronger injury, that somehow so many forget about, is what caused their decline, but they were good until about 2015. They made the playoffs and were good in 2011, 2012 and 2014.

I think Pronger still would've played a while and retired there. He was the leader and captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad