Tribute The Official "Fire Tortorella" Thread

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY

Translation: I don't know how to motivate players who might be having an off game (side note they were not) so I just play the other players instead

Or let's be honest here what John wanted to say was you don't win by filling the net. You gotta play hard north south the right way and he doesn't care much for the toilet seat or the little drummer boy

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
As a Caps fan Torts doesn't seem so bad right now :sarcasm:. And he did eliminate the Penguins as well.

But I do feel for you guys, it is hard to stomach Torts on a contending/bubble team let alone a rebuilding/retooling team. He has lowkey been one of if not the most destructive NHL coach of the last 20 years. We wanted to kill Laviolette last year and he is a very diet version of Torts.

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
I don't care if he's fired or moved upstairs, but I would be happier than not if he weren't behind the bench next year. I just can't stand his head games and insistence on sitting guys like Lycksell, Ginning and Attard while dressing guys like Johnson, Staal, and Atkinson - and I won't even get into how ridiculous his nonsense is with Brink and Frost. I was on board with Briere's approach of trying to do as well as they could now while "rebuilding," as long as the winning now didn't get in the way of rebuilding. With John, it far too often gets in the way of rebuilding. None of five of the younger guys I mentioned are likely to be key core players, but they all are either now or have the potential to be contributors. We won't know as long as Tortorella gets to make up his mind who he plays rather than the front office. These young guys have to be thrown out there and the coach has to be willing to live with mistakes so the club can see what they have.

Again, I think Torts not being behind the bench now doesn't line up with what I've interpreted Briere's primary goal to be (being a serious playoff team in 3-5 years).

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
Goalie played back to back. They sold at the deadline lol. The Flyers bought.
Sure, if we're not considering the Walker trade.

Don't get me wrong, I was not on board with either re-signing Seeler or spending any asset to acquire Johnson because it falls into that nebulous mixed-message territory that is Danny Briere's rebuild, but the final balance sheet doesn't come out to buying.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
As a Caps fan Torts doesn't seem so bad right now :sarcasm:. And he did eliminate the Penguins as well.

But I do feel for you guys, it is hard to stomach Torts on a contending/bubble team let alone a rebuilding/retooling team. He has lowkey been one of if not the most destructive NHL coach of the last 20 years. We wanted to kill Laviolette last year and he is a very diet version of Torts.
Yeah, every vainglorious jackass who talks tough inspires fandom in weak people looking for a leader. I want want a coach that is smart and motivates the team through the brilliance of his schemes and his astute deployment of talent, someone like Jon Cooper or Jared Bednar. A coach doesn't have to be a martinet to develop players and put together a winning team.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I don't care if he's fired or moved upstairs, but I would be happier than not if he weren't behind the bench next year. I just can't stand his head games and insistence on sitting guys like Lycksell, Ginning and Attard while dressing guys like Johnson, Staal, and Atkinson - and I won't even get into how ridiculous his nonsense is with Brink and Frost. I was on board with Briere's approach of trying to do as well as they could now while "rebuilding," as long as the winning now didn't get in the way of rebuilding. With John, it far too often gets in the way of rebuilding. None of five of the younger guys I mentioned are likely to be key core players, but they all are either now or have the potential to be contributors. We won't know as long as Tortorella gets to make up his mind who he plays rather than the front office. These young guys have to be thrown out there and the coach has to be willing to live with mistakes so the club can see what they have.

Again, I think Torts not being behind the bench now doesn't line up with what I've interpreted Briere's primary goal to be (being a serious playoff team in 3-5 years).
Torts literally said he wasn't going to develop players at the expense of wins (in regards to Zamula), so why anyone is surprised by this result is beyond me.

Don't get me wrong, I was not on board with either re-signing Seeler or spending any asset to acquire Johnson because it falls into that nebulous mixed-message territory that is Danny Briere's rebuild, but the final balance sheet doesn't come out to buying.
They only traded Walker after trying to extend him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

The only reason they sold Walker is because they couldn't get him signed. They wanted to keep him and they would have.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Making major moves during the season is not the best strategy for an organization. Briere has a challenge on his hands in future dealings with Tortorella. I can't see Jones getting involved in this one way or the other.
Briere was tolerant of obvious mismanagement of the roster, game decisions and direction of the club by Tortorella. DB was talking rebuilding and Tortorella was pushing POs. These two philosophies can not coexist. Briere gave the coach players with roles that he wanted to see happen and Tortorella blew him off.
IMO, Briere knew that a blow up with Tortorella during the season served no useful purpose. He allowed Tortorella to have his pet vets to cool off his coach but that doesn't mean that Briere was happy with their usage. There is no way that Briere was cool with the way Tortorella handled Couturier and a few other players.
Now will be the time for Briere to make his move and mark on the club. He can't cater to the coach the way that he did this season any more. Briere needs to rein in Tortorella or else look for another FO position in another franchise.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Making major moves during the season is not the best strategy for an organization. Briere has a challenge on his hands in future dealings with Tortorella. I can't see Jones getting involved in this one way or the other.
Briere was tolerant of obvious mismanagement of the roster, game decisions and direction of the club by Tortorella. DB was talking rebuilding and Tortorella was pushing POs. These two philosophies can not coexist. Briere gave the coach players with roles that he wanted to see happen and Tortorella blew him off.
IMO, Briere knew that a blow up with Tortorella during the season served no useful purpose. He allowed Tortorella to have his pet vets to cool off his coach but that doesn't mean that Briere was happy with their usage. There is no way that Briere was cool with the way Tortorella handled Couturier and a few other players.
Now will be the time for Briere to make his move and mark on the club. He can't cater to the coach the way that he did this season any more. Briere needs to rein in Tortorella or else look for another FO position in another franchise.
Briere was given this job on the condition that he give Torts free reign, why would that change now?

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
If that isn't done, Tortorella will do to the Flyers what he did in CBJ. They moved from being a club on the verge of being a PO contender to a grease fire with the people in the FO having their careers destroyed.
We already know the people above Briere have sided with Torts in a Torts vs Briere power struggle, I see no reason to doubt that wouldn't be the case in the future.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

pssst cuz they arent actually rebuilding..

The only reason they sold Walker is because they couldn't get him signed. They wanted to keep him and they would have.
same way Sanheim woulda been gone but for a NMC block...

#rebuild... 🤣🤣🤣

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
ur foolin urself if you think DB is above Torts in the power struggle...

Reactions: FlyerNutter

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
ur foolin urself if you think DB is above Torts in the power struggle...
We shall see. Tortorella has overplayed his hand in the past with various organizations. He can say what he wants about the season. In many places, it has been a bust. No POs; not enough player development. A room that now has heard his act, perhaps too much. The Flyers are on the back places in the minds of local sports fans behind the Birds, Phillies, and Sixers. This isn't where ownership wanted the club to be at this point. Comcast can sell tickets if the team is in the POs or have a hot young nucleus. Being penned into mediocrity as they are now doesn't make it.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
We shall see. Tortorella has overplayed his hand in the past with various organizations. He can say what he wants about the season. In many places, it has been a bust. No POs; not enough player development. A room that now has heard his act, perhaps too much. The Flyers are on the back places in the minds of local sports fans behind the Birds, Phillies, and Sixers. This isn't where ownership wanted the club to be at this point. Comcast can sell tickets if the team is in the POs or have a hot young nucleus. Being penned into mediocrity as they are now doesn't make it.

They have mentioned on STG openly that there will be conversations with Torts about moving upstairs at some point.

He’s going to stick around, unless he wants to leave. From being named part of the triumvirate, called the “spiritual leader”, etc etc. They give him compliments on a consistent basis.

He’s part of this just as much as Briere, Clarke, Jones, Hanrahan, Lombardi, or McCauley.

He’s ensured anyone that doesn’t support him or he doesn’t like is out the door.

Tortorella has an incredible amount of power in the Flyer organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad