The Official "Did Beyak really just say that" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Please put funny quotes/mistakes from Dennis Beyak here.
This is not a thread to bash Beyak but merely to make light of some of his errors and "Beyak-isms".

Ex: Anthony Peluso
"What a goal by Anthony Peluso! Wait, did that go in?"

Ex. Jets vs Penguins
Paraphrased: Bogosian scores to tie it up. (Trouba scored to bring the Jets within one)

Ex. "Pavelec got a piece of it" x1000000

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
He's a big fan of assuming bad statistics are always representative of skill:
* goal statistics - ex: plus/minus and GAA
* small sample numbers - ex: PP% or PK% with few games in
* game state win percentages - ex: "Nashville is 5-2-1 after conceding the first goal so they aren't too worried"
* etc

I like the guy, but I eye twitch at some of these.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Love when he says "a pair of #'s going at it" or "he was rubbed out against the boards"

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
"Tight turns" and the "two 10's (or whatever) battling it out", stick out to me as recurring phrases.

As for the "did he say that", part, the "Shoot the Puck" (with some emotion like he was frustrated), and the incident with the Brad Stuart/Marc Stuart/too many Stuarts was interesting.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Hope this sint too OT by man engblom legitimately thinks decapitated = decaffeinated.

I thought he just fumbled the first time but I've heard him say it a couple more times (and never decapitated)

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Did anybody catch this one last night:

"We are in Winnipeg, but there is some real animo-city."

I did. I chuckled, and realized at this point that Bayek is growing on me a bit.

I think my favourite "Bayek-isms" is the massive emphasis in the "I" on "BIIIIIIIIIIIG" and his penchant for blurting out something on a meta-level, whether it's complaining about the trigger-happy Colorado goal judges ("It has to go in the net, guys!") or "too many Stuarts" or "Shoot the puck!". Stuff like that shows there are human beings doing the commentary, not just a Catchphrase-O-Tron 2000 plugged into a speaker.

And let me second that, "decaffeinated" > "decapitated", to the point where I may not be able to watch Highlander the same way again.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Hope this sint too OT by man engblom legitimately thinks decapitated = decaffeinated.

I thought he just fumbled the first time but I've heard him say it a couple more times (and never decapitated)

I also noticed and quite enjoy when that slips up. Gotta give Engblom a break though, he's been hit in the head one too many times! I actually quite enjoyed Engblom's commentary from last nights game, he was so into it all game, was awesome.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Paraphrasing:
"Oli Jokinen was drafted in 1977"
2 periods later:
"I have to correct myself. Jokinen was drafted in 1997"

Pavelec is standing square to a shooter, withot needing to move the shot hits him square in the chest. "Biiiiiiiiiiiig save Pavelec"

The times where is seems like he hears some stat or story he finds interesting and has to mention it multiple times during the game. "Sometimes you forget Iginla was drafted by the Stars" Hnidy ignores him. 5 minutes later. "Its interesting though that Iginla was originaly drafted by the Stars" Hnidy humours him with a "yeah that's true" or some such to get him to stop mentioning it.

Last edited:

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
I hate having the game on TV and not watching because I'm left listening to Beyak, expecting to know whats going on, but so many things are wrong, might as well be a different game altogether. Serious.

johnnynucleo

SleepyBeepy
Aug 29, 2011
The one thing about Beyak that drives me crazy, and it's definitely a Beyak-ism, is he rarely actually asks a question during intermission conversation.

Like it'll be him and Hnidy discussing the previous period:

"Shane, the Jets PK gets a boost".....and Hnidy is now supposed to talk about the PK. But there's no actual question there.

Even player interviews:

"Blake, we've seen some bad bounces tonight. Nashville seems to capitalize". Wheeler is now supposed to comment at this point

BUT where's the question???? Drives me crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad