HF Habs: The official 2023-2024 tank thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I have same list but swap Iginla and Catton
I have them relatively interchangeable as well.

I think Iginla is more of a sure thing, but Catton has more top end upside with lower floor.

I’ll gladly defer to Habs scouting staff and trust their judgement on that one.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I have it exactly the same. Just hope if Habs pick Lindstrom, the back issues are not chronic.
In any case, I trust the organization will look it to this thoroughly.
Yeah I'm thinking the same. I don't know a ton about Lindstrom but I keep hearing about all of these injuries and it makes me uneasy, not gonna lie.

Reactions: Paddy17 and Rozz

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
so the habs have almost a 60% chance to drop in the draft.

That's the way the draft is designed and the point of the lottery, anyone picking before 7th is more likely than not to drop down and 8th and up are where you have better that 50% odds to stay where you are.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
This team is not making the playoff next season tho most likely. Which means the tank will still be ON, just might start later.
Not making the playoffs is not tanking. Tanking is ensuring a better draft pick. Enough of that for me. I want them to inch much closer to the real show.

They won’t make it, but I want to be in Detroit’s position, not in Utah’s. If we pick up the elite forward at this year’s draft and provided that HuGo come up with another Dach-Newhook trade with our other pick, it’ll be enough for me. Cup is not bare anymore. You cannot have 100 prospects and suspects in the fold. You only have 50 contracts anyway. Let’s start making some moves!

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Haters gonna hate but I say we would be picking 8th without all the manifestation going on in this thread.

You’re welcome Kent.
71dTY3dvAuL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I think this team has one more tank in it. No need to rush.
I hope so , hope the fanbase can chill
It depends on what you mean by tank, I guess. Another deliberate bottom ~5ish finish is probably not happening, but I don't think they're going to be signing Detroit Copp/Compher/Holl/Chiarot-type deals either. Hard to predict so far out but off the top of my head our range next year is probably something like 8th-14th pre-lotto with variance based on goaltending, health, and whether certain positive trends from key players continue.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If this team is drafting in the top 5 again next year, it's a sign that something isn't or didn't go right.

Not necessarily. Even if you ignore a lottery win, progress isn't linear. But Montreal is more likely to be bottom 10 than bottom 5 next year, which many would still consider a "tank" year.

FWIW, I don't think Montreal's actually "tanked" outside of the 2nd half of the 21-22 season.

Reactions: First Line

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
This team is not making the playoff next season tho most likely. Which means the tank will still be ON, just might start later.
Habs played 26OT games (10-16), gotta think with Dach that’s 5-7 more wins

They also played 44 1G games, w Dach another 3-4W (6-8pts)

That’s 10-12 pts additional in standings, in the thick of last wild card spot

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
With a healthy team to start next year, I see us competing hard for a wildcard spot.

With all our draft picks for next year, including Calgary's 1st (however that shakes out) and our own 1st, we should be well positioned to draft skilled players again next year. We might even land another 1st through a trade if we end up sellers late in the year.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not necessarily. Even if you ignore a lottery win, progress isn't linear. But Montreal is more likely to be bottom 10 than bottom 5 next year, which many would still consider a "tank" year.
I mean, it might be because we had another rash of injuries...but generally speaking, there should be some progress up the stands if our core guys continue to take steps forward.

Otherwise, you end up like the Sens or Sabres. They always think the draft is going to fix everything, but clearly the problems with those organizations never progressing are much deeper.

Bottoming out doesn't fix anything on its own.
FWIW, I don't think Montreal's actually "tanked" outside of the 2nd half of the 21-22 season.
I don't think Montreal has ever tanked period, so no argument from me there.

Reactions: Paddy17

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Canadiens could build a dynasty if they play this draft right. Get a good player at 5. Then trade up from Jets pick get a Sennecke or Eiserman. Struble and some later picks it might take. Demidov and Eiserman solid addition to our farm.

Sign the right UFA this summer.

The thing is, it may take a lot move up in the draft. All teams know where the drop off is and won't want to trade back from the drop off unlessxwell compensated.

Right now, Barron, Harris, and Struble may all project to be bottom pairing dmen in teams' perspective. I'm not sure they would want to drop out of the range they see as the sweet spot for a future bottom pair dman or two.

With a healthy team to start next year, I see us competing hard for a wildcard spot.

With all our draft picks for next year, including Calgary's 1st (however that shakes out) and our own 1st, we should be well positioned to draft skilled players again next year. We might even land another 1st through a trade if we end up sellers late in the year.

Who's getting us a 1st at the TDL next year?
Not Savard if the market is like this year.

Also note that Calgary's 1st is almost certainly going to be Florida's 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad