HF Habs: The official 2023-2024 tank thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
We finish 5th, which was the perfect tank scenario for year 3 of a rebuild! it rode that fine line of finishing low as possible with out ruining our player's mentality or drive perfectly!

now we wait for the Lottery! But, we can't control a Lottery so I'm not gonna stress about that. the balls will fall how they fall! whether it's a team behind us that wins or a team infront... or its us.. that's out of our hands and at least we did what we needed to do and that was finish as low as possible.

even if we fall to 6th (which is our greatest odds) I'm super stoked for this draft as we will have options of very good players at 6!

but the dream of one of Celebrini, Demidov, Catton, Lindstrom, or Iginla is very much alive!!! f*** yes!!!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I prefer Buium than all of them except Celebrini/Demidov
Buium could be a good one.

We'll need a Matheson replacement eventually, perhaps in 5 years, when Buium will be hiting his prime.

I like the dcore niw with two offensive dmen, one on each of the top 2 pairs:

Matheson Guhle
Hutson Savard/Reinbacher
Xhekaj Mailloux

But we'll need a Matheson replacement. Very rarely is it good to draft on need 7 years down the line, despite the present temptations.

Reactions: Rozz

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
OK gents, I lurked this thread this season and had a blast! Some posts were funny AF. But this will be my last Tank thread to lurk.

Now is the time, after this draft, to rise again from the ashes. Tank time is ovah for me.
I agree! this has been a fun way to get through 3 seasons of losing/tanking.. but starting next year I want them to be fighting for some more wins... if they miss the playoffs, that will fine and understandable... as long as there is marked improvement from our players, coaches and team as a whole.. I don't want bottom 10 next year.. like you said it's time for wins!

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
We were closer to drafting 12th than 4th. It was a real possibility to ruin our pick. A couple wins is not a lot of luck when we had 16 ot losses.

Yeah, the 12th vs 4th doesn't matter, that bottom 4 was locked in for months. Picking 11th always assumed that everything that could go wrong, would go wrong. The dramatics were embarassing and for the third year in a row.

Reactions: Redux91

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
OK gents, I lurked this thread this season and had a blast! Some posts were funny AF. But this will be my last Tank thread to lurk.

Now is the time, after this draft, to rise again from the ashes. Tank time is ovah for me.
This team is not making the playoff next season tho most likely. Which means the tank will still be ON, just might start later.

Reactions: bsl and First Line

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
This team is not making the playoff next season tho most likely. Which means the tank will still be ON, just might start later.
I wouldn't bet on them not making the playoffs. We saw a lot of good things this season, the experiences will serve them well. If they can stay healthy they will be better, maybe a lot better. I don't think they will make it, but no money will be put down that's for sure.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I wouldn't bet on them not making the playoffs. We saw a lot of good things this season, the experiences will serve them well. If they can stay healthy they will be better, maybe a lot better. I don't think they will make it, but no money will be put down that's for sure.

It’s certainly possible.

I think a lot of things have to go right for it to happen, but the progression of our young players is parabolic lol.

1. Suzuki/Caufield/Slaf will all be as good or better, in theory.
2. Dach will need to stay healthy and prove his play in 2nd half of 22-23 was progression and not a fluke (I think it was real).
3. Newhook will need to continue his current progression, I think he can and will. Should be a 50+pt guy.
4. Roy will need make the roster and be a Top 6 producer - bit more of a long shot than the above but I believe in his upside.
5. Goaltending tandem needs to give us atleast average tending. This should be achievable.

Drafting a D-man as BPA this year can be on the table, but the team will need to trade some D no later than 2025 offseason to make room for the youngsters and shore up the offense.

At 1 - I'd take Celebrini
At 2 - I'd take Demidov

at 5 I'd take Lindstrom
at 6 I'd take Catton
at 7 I'd take Iginla.
Samezies bro.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I prefer Buium than all of them except Celebrini/Demidov
Yea same, starting to really have him higher on my list, if Im picking I'm going straight BPA. Don't care if he's an LD I'd taking him if I love him about the next player.

I might listen to offers to move up or down otherwise in 2 or 3 years when he's NHL ready, I make space for him. Dmen always have solid value

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I would prefer a forward but I’m sure I’m in a pretty small minority that is happy enough with our forward situation to truly go bpa
The forward situation now is not what you need to think through. It's the forward situation in 2 seasons, or the forward situation if Dach & Newhook (or any other 2 forwards) are injured again. Right now these 2 went down and it signaled a tank, and they're not even that impactful.

So we need to grow stronger up front, on center if we can, wings otherwise.

Reactions: bsl

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Canadiens could build a dynasty if they play this draft right. Get a good player at 5. Then trade up from Jets pick get a Sennecke or Eiserman. Struble and some later picks it might take. Demidov and Eiserman solid addition to our farm.

Sign the right UFA this summer.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
At 1 - I'd take Celebrini
At 2 - I'd take Demidov

at 5 I'd take Lindstrom
at 6 I'd take Catton
at 7 I'd take Iginla.
This doesn't seem to make much sense. Would you take Catton at 6 even if Lindstrom is available?

It would be easier if you just said that's your top 5 in order, and you'd pick whoever is the highest one available.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Canadiens could build a dynasty if they play this draft right.

laughing-guy-scotland.gif

Habs finishing bottom 3 for the 3rd year in a row and this guy is talking about a dynasty.

Let's work on taking the first step and improve from being a lottery team.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
This is the second season in a row where a non-insignificant number of posters declared that there was no chance Montreal finishes bottom-5 only for Montreal to finish 5th worst.

He's hoping to some lottery luck, I feel like a lot of people prefer going for position over BPA, and I'm hoping that doesn't happen.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
laughing-guy-scotland.gif

Habs finishing bottom 3 for the 3rd year in a row and this guy is talking about a dynasty.

Let's work on taking the first step and improve from being a lottery team.
He is a little more forward thinking than you are I guess. Every dynasty begins with a team sucking for a number of years, in the modern era anyways. No getting around that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad