The Official 2016 WJC Thread | 3 (CAN: Virtanen, USA: Boeser)

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
hqdefault.jpg

Because fans are too sentimental and unwilling to trade a key roster player that would allow us to do this. It took the Trevor Linden trade to get the assets needed to do this back in 1999.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Because fans are too sentimental and unwilling to trade a key roster player that would allow us to do this. It took the Trevor Linden trade to get the assets needed to do this back in 1999.

No way. I am willing to give up anyone on this team for a chance to draft both of them.

But I doubt bottom feeders are willing to take our glut of older players/prospects.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Boy, just goes to show what a crap-shoot this tournament is...if Canada had a goalie who could stop a weather balloon, Finland wouldn't have got anywhere near the final.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Kahkonen is a pretty solid goalie and should have been playing to begin with in the Canada-Finland game

And every top team had really good top lines
Literally all of them had amazing players, with Finland having an amazing trio, as shown by their point totals

Someone (I think WTG ?) said earlier in the tournament that this tournament was between Finland and Russia I'm pretty sure

I get that we cheer for Canada, but definitely don't underestimate these other countries
Especially as they have been getting stronger and stronger

Denmark slowly improving
Swiss still hanging around
Finland becoming a powerhouse
Sweden has always been there
And Russia and the USA have always been good as well

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kahkonen is a pretty solid goalie and should have been playing to begin with in the Canada-Finland game

And every top team had really good top lines
Literally all of them had amazing players, with Finland having an amazing trio, as shown by their point totals

Someone (I think WTG ?) said earlier in the tournament that this tournament was between Finland and Russia I'm pretty sure

I get that we cheer for Canada, but definitely don't underestimate these other countries
Especially as they have been getting stronger and stronger

Denmark slowly improving
Swiss still hanging around
Finland becoming a powerhouse
Sweden has always been there
And Russia and the USA have always been good as well

...and if all the Canadian teenagers in the NHL were eligible and available for this tournament the gap would widen again, assuming they could find a goalie somewhere.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Freal that gold medal game was incredible.
I imagine the party after was like the Vancouver Olympics victory.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
That trade was dynamite. It essentially netted us Henrik, Luongo, and Ruutu.

Yes, the ill-fated Keenan years get regularly dissed on these boards....but trading Linden to the Isles was a stroke of genius....netted Bertuzzi and McCabe, the latter flipped to the Hawks for the third pick (Henrik)....then Bert dumped on the Panthers for Luongo.....what the chances of Jimbo pulling off any deals like that?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Yes, the ill-fated Keenan years get regularly dissed on these boards....but trading Linden to the Isles was a stroke of genius....netted Bertuzzi and McCabe, the latter flipped to the Hawks for the third pick (Henrik)....then Bert dumped on the Panthers for Luongo.....what the chances of Jimbo pulling off any deals like that?

No chance.
1. Brian Burke is a mad scientist of hockey. Most GMs are....normal person.
2. Back in the 90s, pre cap era. Trades were more than just trades, ut definitely involved $$ to owners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad