The Official 2016 Tampa Bay Lightning Playoffs & Avatars Thread

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
The home stretch guys and gals. We have 18 games to go with an even home/away split. This includes 7 games against teams currently holding a playoff position and 3 back to backs.

Ccrxv_fUEAAg3LL

A matchup I'm really hoping to see is Detroit at Washington. Detroit will trap the **** out of them and might even pull that one out. That would be great to see.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
It's too early to play the "finagling for ideal position game", but if I had to rank the East teams, 1-7, who I'd like to face most-to-least, it looks something like this:

1. Florida
2. NY Rangers

3. Detroit
4. Boston

5. NY Islanders

6. Pittsburgh

7. Washington

Any dissents?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
It's too early to play the "finagling for ideal position game", but if I had to rank the East teams, 1-7, who I'd like to face most-to-least, it looks something like this:

1. Florida
2. NY Rangers

3. Detroit
4. Boston

5. NY Islanders

6. Pittsburgh

7. Washington

Any dissents?

I'd rather play Pittsburgh than the Isles. I can't explain why, just a gut feeling. Agree with everything else though.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

1. Florida
2. NY Rangers

3. Detroit
4. Boston

5. NY Islanders

6. Pittsburgh

7. Washington

Any dissents?

Sounds about right to me. I would put NYI and Pittsburgh as pretty much the same. This year we've beaten Pittsburgh in every game and we've struggled against NYI but the PO is a different story and how series against them would go we just never know.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
There isn't a team in the East that we should be worried about. If there was one it would be Florida because of Luongo.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Not afraid of any teams. Yeah the Caps have beat us but there are some interesting underlying things that can be in our favor.

1st Game:
Shots Pretty much even. Caps with 3 PPG - we outshot and outchanced them in 5v5 play. Vasilevskyi was the goalie in that one. The Caps were 3 / 4 in that game on the PP. Lightning only got 2 PP entire game and we got one shot off. The Caps out shot us 11 to 1 on the PP.

2nd Game:
We out shot them 36 - 20 that game and held them to 1 shot in the third period. Of note, Johnson didn't play.

3rd Game:
We out shot them in 5 v 5. We go up 3 - 0 and then Washington goes stupid again on the PP for 3 straight PPG and an EN. Of note, Palat didn't play.

Don't get me wrong ... they have a great team. But we shouldn't be scared of them or any team out there on the East. Our PK has been playing real good lately ... if we don't put them on the PP and if we do we have an improved PK - that should really help our chances. Cause 5 v 5 we should really be all over them.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Not afraid of any teams. Yeah the Caps have beat us but there are some interesting underlying things that can be in our favor.

1st Game:
Shots Pretty much even. Caps with 3 PPG - we outshot and outchanced them in 5v5 play. Vasilevskyi was the goalie in that one. The Caps were 3 / 4 in that game on the PP. Lightning only got 2 PP entire game and we got one shot off. The Caps out shot us 11 to 1 on the PP.

2nd Game:
We out shot them 36 - 20 that game and held them to 1 shot in the third period. Of note, Johnson didn't play.

3rd Game:
We out shot them in 5 v 5. We go up 3 - 0 and then Washington goes stupid again on the PP for 3 straight PPG and an EN. Of note, Palat didn't play.

Don't get me wrong ... they have a great team. But we shouldn't be scared of them or any team out there on the East. Our PK has been playing real good lately ... if we don't put them on the PP and if we do we have an improved PK - that should really help our chances. Cause 5 v 5 we should really be all over them.

Of course we could beat them. I think the most important factor that goes against Washington is that penalties dry up in the postseason. The ticky tack calls aren't made and even blatant ones are let go as the stakes get higher. I still think it'll be a rough series and we'll need a functional PP to win. Doesn't have to click at like 60% like theirs does against us, but it needs to produce.

I do agree on 5v5 play though. There aren't many teams that can skate with us 5v5.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Bad voodoo to talk of this until certain we make it.

I knew someone would say this. We have a 99.3% chance of making the playoffs. If we somehow choke that away then we have a lot more to worry about than this thread.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
There isn't a team in the East that we should be worried about. If there was one it would be Florida because of Luongo.

That first sentence is absolutely true. Lightning have finally gotten their act together, and while going 18-6-2 (W-L-SO) is a bit hotter than will continue, the net result is we're seeing a team that is finally rolling multiple scoring lines, has a goaltender capable of playing as well as any other currently in the Eastern playoff field (...or at least coming close enough to match that other advantages shine through) and defensive structure is improved as well. I maintain that my biggest fear is Jon Cooper's tactical adaptability come playoff time; I am not above giving him his due credit for the team's play of late, and I am not above giving him credit for showing improved chops in the playoffs, but I'm going to have to see it from him first before I start expecting it.

However, this team is capable of beating anyone in the East field. Certainly, the only team I "fear" is Washington, for reasons I have elaborated before. It's easy to look at Pittsburgh, Boston, or Long Island*, and remember that the Lightning generally haven't played well in those cities over the years, but those are more-so excuses for if they struggle than actual, tangible explanations. With Washington, there are tangible explanations, namely, that being how their PP structure thoroughly annihilates Tampa's PK structure. Tampa Bay outscored Washington 5-4 at even strength with goalies in net in the three head-to-heads, I believe. They lost all three games, because the PPG tally was 6-1 in favor of the Caps. SSS, but they operated around 50%. They've also drilled Tampa's PK in previous seasons as well. There is a reason why the Lightning have only won one of the last 12 meetings against Washington; it's simply a terrible matchup, home or away.

But, barring TB falling down to the second wild card, that matchup is not going to happen until the ECF, giving ample time for either side to be dropped first. Washington was 100 seconds from a five-game series victory against the Rangers last season. Everything that happened from there on, I believe, made TB's trip to the Final a lot more plausible than it otherwise looked like it would have been.

And I'll tell this much as well - Pittsburgh is the one team Washington would least like to face in the first round. Not only because Pittsburgh has always upset Washington in the playoffs in the past (7-1 in eight meetings all-time), because that's ancient history, but because Pittsburgh has been one of the East's best teams since the new year, Sullivan has been a massive upgrade over Johnston, seeing Pittsburgh's forechecking create issues over the past couple months, and mostly because facing Sid and Malkin in the playoffs isn't a fun proposition for anybody. Pittsburgh may have difficulty getting above the wild card spots; at that point, it's simply a matter of which one they get. Because if it's the #1 wild card, and Tampa is a division winner...frankly, much of the same still applies. Tampa can win that matchup but it sure won't be easy or short, realistically speaking.

--

As for the second sentence - Luongo is excellent, and, yes, at times a good goaltender getting white hot at the right (wrong?) time can destroy a superior opponent. That said, we can't really live with that kind of fear, because it's not rational. Truthfully, if TB faces Florida at any point, I'm expecting a five-game series. Florida's where Tampa Bay was two years ago; young, emerging, a threat for a while to come, but not really "there" quite yet. I would be stunned if Florida won a playoff series between the two in 2016.

*before someone says it, yes, I'm well aware the Isles don't play in Uniondale anymore. Lightning haven't even been to Barclays yet; not for another month, even, when they finish the season in the Tri-State area + Montreal. The general point does remain. Lightning haven't won a game at the Isles, non-SO variety, since November 2010.

Last edited:

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
That first sentence is absolutely true. Lightning have finally gotten their act together, and while going 18-6-2 (W-L-SO) is a bit hotter than will continue, the net result is we're seeing a team that is finally rolling multiple scoring lines, has a goaltender capable of playing as well as any other currently in the Eastern playoff field (...or at least coming close enough to match that other advantages shine through) and defensive structure is improved as well. I maintain that my biggest fear is Jon Cooper's tactical adaptability come playoff time; I am not above giving him his due credit for the team's play of late, and I am not above giving him credit for showing improved chops in the playoffs, but I'm going to have to see it from him first before I start expecting it.

[/I]

I dont know how anyone can not be worried about the Caps. Plus, we went to game 7 with two of these teams last year. I am confident they have the ability to come out of the east, but actually doing it will be very tough.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I think we are playing well for the first time this season. We had a decent stretch earlier but there were quite a few dodgy games. They feel a lot tighter now than before but there is always room for improvement.

We are moving along well but the playoff race is tight, so granted that we make it, we can pretty much face anyone in the first round.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
X-Paq
Hulk Hedman
Jason "The Macho Man" Garrison
The Million Dollar Stam
Val Vohnson (bonus points to anyone who gets that one.)
Andrej The Giant
Rowdy Ryan Callahan
Bad News Brown
Stone Cold Steve Yzerman
Jonny "The Brain" Cooper

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
My rankings of who I'd prefer

1. Florida
2. Islanders
3. Rangers

4. Boston

5. Pittsburgh
6. Washington
7. Detroit

Even if Detroit was horrible it wasn't fun to watch. Boston would be miserable to watch as well

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
X-Paq
Hulk Hedman
Jason "The Macho Man" Garrison
The Million Dollar Stam
Val Vohnson (bonus points to anyone who gets that one.)
Andrej The Giant
Rowdy Ryan Callahan
Bad News Brown
Stone Cold Steve Yzerman
Jonny "The Brain" Cooper

Wait till next year when Koekkoek is full time.

Koekkoek B. Ware

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad