I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
28qyb05.png

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The Netherlands were my dark horse and thought long about them over Brazil but can't see the host nation losing that early. Now if they manage to win the group over Spain then they can make some damage.

Potential for Spain/Brazil, that early? Oh boy.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Pretty wide open tournament this year. Should be exciting.

I hope Groups D & G (the two "groups of death") live up to their name and see a favourite fail to advance.

With the tourny being in South America, look for a team like Chile or Ecuador to surprise and escape to the knockout stage.

Last edited:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I am actually going to Rio and I got tickets to both semis this morning at 5am CET (Sao Paulo and Belo Horizonte). No finals tickets though. I have tickets to the round of 16 in Rio and the quarters in Rio as well. Should be a once in a lifetime trip.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I am actually going to Rio and I got tickets to both semis this morning at 5am CET (Sao Paulo and Belo Horizonte). No finals tickets though. I have tickets to the round of 16 in Rio and the quarters in Rio as well. Should be a once in a lifetime trip.

Nice.

I have a new department boss who is based in Toronto (I'm in Vancouver). He's English and had tickets to a couple of their group matches but, since he has to come to BC to introduce himself to the team, he had to sell his tickets. Ouch*.

*He told us not to worry too much because he made a boatload off the re-sell; still sucks, though.

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
Nice.

I have a new department boss who is based in Toronto (I'm in Vancouver). He's English and had tickets to a couple of their group matches but, since he has to come to BC to introduce himself to the team, he had to sell his tickets. Ouch*.

*He told us not to worry too much because he made a boatload off the re-sell; still sucks, though.

EDIT. Too much info.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm casual follower in regards to soccer but since it looks like the US is going to need a miracle to make it out of that group I'll pull for Germany here. I always enjoy watching Ronaldo as well, dude's so smooth out there.

They're my go to team in FIFA along with Netherlands. :laugh:

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
I am going for Colombia, but it will be difficult without Falcao. I always tend to cheer for England and Brazil, but I like Spain (minus Torres). No Canada to cheer for though.:(

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
Always a great time in England. We win one gam, the country gets hyped,we suffer a crushing defeat (usually on penalties). Happily, not many people are expecting much this time which I prefer.

Brazil are my favourites this time. They're always going to have the skill but this time I don't see them getting pushed around and bullied. There's some physical players in that team and that should enable them to grind out results in close games. Of course, the expectations are massive and they could crumble. After them, I really can't call it. 5 or 6 teams could win it.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
I'm rooting for Brazil i love their team, that Defense is amazing Alves,Luiz,Silva,Marcelo,Dante they can do everything :laugh:, would be happy if any guy from my fav team won it so Argentina,Germany are fine.

I'd consider Belguim the dark horse 5 years ago i would just look at their roster and would only recognize 2 or 3 guys but now :scared: + they have a great young goalie in Courtois.

and also would love to see Klose become the top goal scorer of all time.

Pablo Sanchez

The Secret Weapon
Oct 17, 2011
Nj
Belgium has ridiculous roster. If there is a dark horse this tournament, it is them.

Ridiculous is a bit of a stretch. They are a dark horse though imo. I could also see chile sneaking past the netherlands if they are at their best.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Other than the US, I normally root for Germany considering my ancestry, so the US and Germany being in a group together really sucks. Although I'd be absolutely shocked if the US got out of the group stage anyway, but I guess it could happen.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Other than the US, I normally root for Germany considering my ancestry, so the US and Germany being in a group together really sucks. Although I'd be absolutely shocked if the US got out of the group stage anyway, but I guess it could happen.

F germany. I will never forget that handball from 2002.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
F germany. I will never forget that handball from 2002.

Excuse my arrogance, but I don't know what that was, what happened? In my defense I only started watching the World Cup in 2006, and back in 2002 I was 7 :laugh:.

Edit: Just looked it up, wow that was brutal.

Bryz4shiz

Feb 10, 2009
Alhoa Oe
Pretty wide open tournament this year. Should be exciting.

I hope Groups D & G (the two "groups of death") live up to their name and see a favourite fail to advance.

With the tourny being in South America, look for a team like Chile or Ecuador to surprise and escape to the knockout stage.

I doubt Group D is going to end up that competitive, Italy and Uruguay are pretty clearly a lot better than England.

It really wouldn't surprise me to see Chile advance. Netherlands' are getting up their in age.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Not a soccer fan but interested in getting a USA jersey (or is it kit?). Was wondering how they fit. I normally wear XL, but do these fit tight? I'm not exactly built for soccer I guess you could say. I have broad shoulders and I'm not real tall. I would have tried one on a Dick's but they didn't have any and I'll probably have to order online. Any help?

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I'll be rooting for Greece. But It'll be a miracle if they even make it into the second round :laugh:. All defense and no offense with lots of aging players isn't a good recipe for success. Oh well.

Like many, I expect a Germany to take it all.

Flyers4Ever77

Dec 21, 2009
Not a soccer fan but interested in getting a USA jersey (or is it kit?). Was wondering how they fit. I normally wear XL, but do these fit tight? I'm not exactly built for soccer I guess you could say. I have broad shoulders and I'm not real tall. I would have tried one on a Dick's but they didn't have any and I'll probably have to order online. Any help?

I normally wear M, but for my soccer jersey I have no choice to go with L or even XL if it's a long sleeve jersey. Soo yes, these are fit tight soo your best option would be XXL.

If Ronaldo's healty, Portugal will go far !

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
I'll be rooting for Greece. But It'll be a miracle if they even make it into the second round :laugh:. All defense and no offense with lots of aging players isn't a good recipe for success. Oh well.

Like many, I expect a Germany to take it all.

Hey it worked in 04 :laugh:

Not having Sweden playing sucks but we would have gotten far anyway. Gotta go with Germany or Brazil as favourites. Uruguay, if they get through their group, could be dangerous with that offense as well as Belgium.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
At least there won't be a preponderance of Vuvuzela blowing. Anybody who tries to bring one into a stadium should have it summarily shoved up their butt and forced to shart it out....:rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad