Prospect Info: The Official 2013 Young Stars Tournament Thread

Usual_Suspect

Jul 4, 2007
3 hours South
@JonathanWillis: Ex #Oilers prospect. MT @coreypronman: Bigos has had some flashes in this game. On AHL deal, with good year could end up getting an ELC.

Usual_Suspect

Jul 4, 2007
3 hours South
OT as Traverse City tournament instead of Penticton but interesting

@timoseppa: Nichushkin awesome on his goal. Didn't understand why he fell in the draft. Maybe doesn't have a complete game, but what he does is elite.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
OT as Traverse City tournament instead of Penticton but interesting

@timoseppa: Nichushkin awesome on his goal. Didn't understand why he fell in the draft. Maybe doesn't have a complete game, but what he does is elite.

If people don't know why he fell they should pull there head out of their ass.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Nichushkin fell because it was either the NHL for him this year or back to the KHL for a year to honour his contract over there.

Regardless, Nichushkin was an obvious steal at #10 and Dallas will have an elite speed demon of a winger that I would have loved to see on the Oilers. A mistake not to draft him but MacT and the scouts can't always get things right... they are only human and sometimes the seemingly safer choices are easier to make.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Seriously, it blows my mind everytime that we don't send RNH/Gagner over to this guy to improve their strength/weight. He's done wonders for guys like Stamkos/Skinner in the past.

RNH has had a bad shoulder since falling into the boards in his rookie season. No way he should be training with someone like Roberts until he is more developed and healthy. He has probably had very specific orders from doctors the last two off seasons. Gagner...who knows lol.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
I'm becoming more and more annoyed the Oilers didn't think he was worth signing

He's not likely to ever play in the NHL and the Oilers have 16 pro defensemen signed, all of which are better than Bigos. The right decision was made for both sides.

Usual_Suspect

Jul 4, 2007
3 hours South
Because he beat up a Sutter? Bigos is a LONG stretch to make the NHL, unless he becomes a bazillion times better at skating.

No, because he is an asset that we wasted. Bigos has something the Oilers have been desperately trying to find: someone who has size, is physical, can fight and has some hands. He spent the last 4 years in NCAA where he could not fight. So we haven't even seen this side of his game in 4 years.

Also, the Oilers continue to draft players like this. Ie Ben Betker. In 4 years Betker will be lucky to be what Bigos is now. Why continue to draft these players if you don't intend to sign them?

Pronman also thought he looked good today. Beating up a Sutter is a nice plus though.

@coreypronman: SJ's Bigos has had some flashes in this game. On an AHL deal, with a good year could end up making a bid for an ELC.

Another from jetsnation.ca

@nhljetsnation: @Bob_Stauffer @JonathanWillis Bigos has had a great tournament so far, and he's definitely mean. Got an elbow on Shinkaruk last night.

He's not likely to ever play in the NHL and the Oilers have 16 pro defensemen signed, all of which are better than Bigos. The right decision was made for both sides.

Not sure how you think it was the right decision for both sides when we developed a prospect and got nothing for him. He's the type of player that fits a perceived organizational need. We have the contract room and we still need to send a minimum number of players to Bakersfield. Giving him a year to see how he does in the pro game would have cost next to nothing in money. If we have the contract room (which we do) there's really no reason to not sign him.

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'm becoming more and more annoyed the Oilers didn't think he was worth signing

Was it that they didn't feel he was worth it or that they couldn't reach an agreement? I always was under the impression we wanted to sign him but he wanted to go closer to home in California, hence why he was traded to San Jose.

Usual_Suspect

Jul 4, 2007
3 hours South
Was it that they didn't feel he was worth it or that they couldn't reach an agreement? I always was under the impression we wanted to sign him but he wanted to go closer to home in California, hence why he was traded to San Jose.

Pretty sure it was the Oilers decision.

@TPS_Guy
It's my belief that the #Oilers will not sign @BigosK but will invite him to main camp if not signed by someone else by then. @TPSDean

@TPS_Guy: @NHLbyMatty on the farm too with Plante and Teubert gone and choosing not to sign 6'5, 240 lb draft pick Kyle Bigos (UFA in Aug)

dem

Mar 17, 2002
According to a story in the Journal.. Khaira has put on 20(!)lbs since his draft.

6'3 214lbs

Here is hoping this kid turns out... Talk about exactly what we need.

Oct 30, 2011
According to a story in the Journal.. Khaira has put on 20(!)lbs since his draft.

6'3 214lbs

Hopefully he turns out to be a guy who can play anywhere in the bottom six. I certainly noticed his size and puck possession. He isn't a bad skater either.

Usual_Suspect

Jul 4, 2007
3 hours South
Confuzzled... Seems theres uncertainty on where he's playing. Thought he was WHL bound.

I hope he pushes the issue and forces his way onto the Barons, but being a top dog on Everett is no joke either.

The Oilers media have said he could go to OKC or Everett. I believe there was 1 report that he had to go to Everett. The quote was attributed to someone in Everett mgmt (I can't remember who, the gm I think).

Khaira confirmed today that it could be okc.

Last edited:

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
why in the name of all unholy and Satan's very own bruised nipples did they have to schedule the game on freaking 8:30 PM? i wanted to watch it so bad!

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
I'm not that cut up about Bigos being let walk.
For all you know the asset wasn't wasted, maybe MacT or Tambo before him tried to trade him or include him in a package.
He has a whopping 17 points in 34 games career high for Merrimack. I don't know much about NCAA so I'm not sure if Merrimack is a top flight hockey school or not, but one of the HF Oil posters was a lady who payed special attention to NCAA prospects (can't remember her screen name atm) and she said the same things about Bigos. He's a big kid, but he is not a good skater.

The Oilers don't need size that can't play against legit NHL players, this obsession with size is getting old.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

6'3 214lbs

Really interested to see what he does this year in the WHL. I think he could break out and score 100 points. He seems very strong and very motivated.

Usual_Suspect

Jul 4, 2007
3 hours South
I'm not that cut up about Bigos being let walk.
For all you know the asset wasn't wasted, maybe MacT or Tambo before him tried to trade him or include him in a package.
He has a whopping 17 points in 34 games career high for Merrimack. I don't know much about NCAA so I'm not sure if Merrimack is a top flight hockey school or not, but one of the HF Oil posters was a lady who payed special attention to NCAA prospects (can't remember her screen name atm) and she said the same things about Bigos. He's a big kid, but he is not a good skater.

The Oilers don't need size that can't play against legit NHL players, this obsession with size is getting old.

I think you mean Caley?

I don't disagree with your point of view. The next question from that perspective is why continue to draft these types of players each year.

As far as the asset wasted, trading him wasn't the only option. They could have signed him. Not sure why you would say whopping 17 pts in 34 games. 0.5 PPG sounds pretty good for a big poor skating dman.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
I said whopping because that year was an outlier. He had 11, 11, and 8 the other three years.

As for the question of why continue to draft this type of player? Buckshot theory I guess, Ben Betker isn't going to college so he'll probably develop differently. One never knows.

Usual_Suspect

Jul 4, 2007
3 hours South
I said whopping because that year was an outlier. He had 11, 11, and 8 the other three years.

As for the question of why continue to draft this type of player? Buckshot theory I guess, Ben Betker isn't going to college so he'll probably develop differently. One never knows.

If Bigos, Betker, Abney etc put up any points its a bonus. They aren't being drafted for their scoring ability. 0.33 PPG is still decent for this type of dman.

I agree its buckshot theory. I guess its no surprise that the type of player they think they need is the type of player they have trouble identifying and end up spending higher picks on to improve their odds. And the circle continues.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Holding onto assets for too long was my biggest beef of the previous regimes... cut bait earlier please... i.e Plante, Chorney, etc. due to obvious flaws.

Abney should be let go next...

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
Khaira said flat out to Reid Wilkins the day he signed that he had to go to Everett Reid was surprised and just moved on. Ill try to find the podcast but their new site makes it hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad