Prospect Info: The Official 2013 Draft Thread, Part II: 17th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Wennberg, Hartman, Lazar or Horvat.

End up with any one of those 4 and I'm a happy man.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
What are Lazar/Horvat like? Are they skilled and physical?

Yes, Lazar and Horvat are both skilled and physical players.

Horvat is one of the most, if not the most, versatile guy in this draft. He can literally play all the forward positions. From the top line to a shutdown role, he can do it all. Alot of people question his offensive upside but he has to be one of the safest picks in the draft. In my opinion, his floor is a highly skilled 3rd liner and his ceilling is a 2way 1st/2nd liner (think Patrice Bergeron/Ryan O'Reilly).

Lazar was considered a lottery-pick prospect entering the season but he struggled at the start of the year, which hurt his draft stock. He turned it on later in the season and finished with some pretty decent stats. I think he's a smoother and faster skater than Horvat and more physical. Doesn't shy away from dropping the gloves. Also think he's got a higher offensive upside than Horvat.

Hartman is a carbon copy of Ryan Callahan imo.

Last edited:

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Yes, Lazar and Horvat are both skilled and physical players.

Horvat is one of the most, if not the most, versatile guys in this draft. He can literally play all the forward positions. From the top line to a shutdown role, he can do it all. Alot of people question his offensive upside but he has to be one of the safest picks in the draft. In my opinion, his floor is a highly skilled 3rd liner and his ceilling is a 2way 1st/2nd liner (think Patrice Bergeron/Ryan O'Reilly).

Lazar was considered a lottery-pick prospect entering the season but he struggled at the start of the year, which hurt his draft stock. He turned it on later in the season and finished with some pretty decent stats. I think he's a smoother and faster skater than Horvat and more physical. Doesn't shy away from dropping the gloves. Also think he's got a higher offensive upside than Horvat.

Hartman is a carbon copy of Ryan Callahan imo.

Thanks for the information, I'm excited to see who we add to our prospect pool. I think adding one of these guys with Noesen as hopeful future skill/gritty top 6 players will be very important to our playoff success. We could still use a sniper tho, maybe we just trade for one next year? Puempel stepping up and developing his game down in Bingo would also be another option if things go very well.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Thanks for the information, I'm excited to see who we add to our prospect pool. I think adding one of these guys with Noesen as hopeful future skill/gritty top 6 players will be very important to our playoff success. We could still use a sniper tho, maybe we just trade for one next year? Puempel stepping up and developing his game down in Bingo would also be another option if things go very well.

Definitely agree with you.

A sniper/goalscorer would be ideal but I don't think we'll have that many options at 17th so we may have to trade for one.

Anthony Mantha is an interesting prospect. Had 50+ goals in the Q and is 6'4 200lbs but hes pretty soft for his size and his work ethic is questionable.

Last edited:

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Definitely agree with you.

A sniper/goalscorer would be ideal but I don't think we'll have that many options at 17th so we may have to trade for one.

Anthony Mantha is an interesting prospect. Had 50+ goals in the Q and is 6'4 200lbs but hes pretty soft for his size and his work ethic is questionable.

I think adding another gritty top 6 this draft and then just trading for a goalscorer is probably the best way to go. You need those gritty top 6 guys and goal scorers to win in the playoffs, you can see those elements on most contending teams.

Cammalleri is probably available as a goalscorer, I'd like to see Ottawa kick the tires on that.

Karlssonlee

Jan 13, 2009
Wennberg, Hartman, Lazar or Horvat.

End up with any one of those 4 and I'm a happy man.

I echo the exact same thoughts.

Would love anyone one of those players in that exact order.

Also wouldn't mind Ottawa taking a chance on JC Lipon in the third round. Although he's an overage , he has potential to be a good third liner in the NHL.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Are we not drafting 18? Islanders, Sabres, Wings are in front of us are they not.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Are we not drafting 18? Islanders, Sabres, Wings are in front of us are they not.

Nope, Red Wings have the 18 spot.

We tied with them for points, but they had 22 ROW to our 21, which means they are technically higher than us in the standings.

Draft order for playoff teams picking around us goes:
15- Islanders
16- Minnesota
17- Ottawa
18- Detroit (if they make the Conference finals, they jump to #27)
19- Rangers

... also: the Sabres did not make the playoffs, so they definitely are ahead of us, haha. You meant the Wild?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Lazar, Horvat, Erne and Hartman would all be solid picks. None will be busts, although none will likely be 1st line true "boom" players. All blend a degree of scoring and physicality. I personally like Hartman the most out of this group, as he is the meanest hombre by a fair margin in this group.

Boom players around the same slot could be Wennberg, Mantha, Domi, Burakowsky and Zykov are all probably higher upside players, albeit with a higher degree of risk.

A player in between would be Rychel, who has been an elite scorer in the OHL, is physical, but there are concerns about his skating mostly (which is why he isn't top 10).

Gauthier it also a bit unique. Huge frame and potential, but hasn't produced at an elite level yet and doesn't really play physical, so higher risk, but some high upside there.

On D, it really depends whether one of the top 15 slated d-men perhaps drop (Zadorov, Pulock), but I'd be quite pleased with Morrissey. One of those few guys we might be able to get outside the top 15 that has top pairing potential, but is also a relatively safe bet. Only reason he isn't top 10 is his size (6'0), but he is tough and more physical than guys like Pulock. Could be Duncan Keith, or perhaps just Dan Hamhuis, but either way, a great addition to our blueline long-term.

Of course, watch the Sens go off the board and draft someone like Lucas Wallmark and send us all scrambling to figure out a reason to love whom ever it is.

burf

Mar 27, 2012
The Sens need a high offensive upside forward to replace Spezza in a few years. We're in a safe enough spot, with our forward depth right now, to be able to afford to pick a boom-or-bust prospect instead of a safe NHLer. We have enough safe young NHLers.

Domi all the way.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Hartman for me.

I don't personally see a lot of high end talent outside of the top 10, so I would prefer Ottawa to target a hard as nails type player like Hartman.

Heck, we might be able to trade down, get a second rd pick, and select Hartman.

We could then swing for the fences with the 2nd Rounder.

Also, we REALLY don't need another 2nd/3rd/4th line centre. I would be pretty dissapointed if we drafted one (unless someone fell to us), unless we thought they had 1A type potential.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
What about F. Gauthier?

He is a tough one to get a read on, and in the end, is probably more of a safe pick, rather than a potential boom pick.

On the plus side, he has a huge frame, skates well and really shows good agility for a a guy his size (and age). He doesn't actually look that big playing, partially because he moves so well and fluid. He had a great U18 and what really stood out there, was his defensive play and on the PK. He was disrupting the other team in his own zone constantly and started a bunch of rushes the other way. Some have compared him to Jordan Staal, although he doesn't seem to have Staal's one-on-one moves as a goal scorer (which is significant, given it is really one of Staal's hallmarks).

On the downside, it's two fold. First, he isn't really dynamic offensively as a center and isn't an elite goal scorer or playmaker. He is a good offensively in using his frame to shield the puck and his big stride to power up ice and in the corners, but as a centerman, I have trouble envisioning putting him on a line with a goal scorer and making his linesmates significantly better. I'd see him centering Chris Neil and Eric Condra types, more than likely. The other downside is, despite his size and strength, he is really not mean or that tough. I'm not sure he's ever had a fight in junior. He will use his size, but never with malice. It's also one of the reasons he doesn't seem that big out there. His player comparison range is probably somewhere between Hugh Jessiman (downside, although unlikely given his defensive play), Colin Greening (probable) and Martin Hanzel (upside).

When looking at the safe bets in the 1st round, I'd be much more inclined to go with Hartman, who throws bigger hits, fights, has a nasty edge, and has been just as productive as Gauthier, even more so, especially given his play at a higher level at the WJC (versus Gauthier playing well at the u18's against guys two years younger). Hartman's comparison probably ranges between Matt Cooke (low end), Raffi Torries (probable) or Ryan Callahan (Boom).

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
After watching these playoffs its clear we need someone who can handle the puck and handle it in traffic. Spezza is only guy we have that can do it.

Berserker*

Anybody watch much of the Medicine Hat Tigers this season? I have a question about a potential 7th round pick.

Jacob Doty was traded to the Tigers this season after playing the previous two seasons with Seattle. While playing with Seattle he was only able to muster 7 points each season and was subsequently passed over in both drafts. This season he quadrupled his point totals to amass 28 points. Now that isn't very much and is pretty weak for a player who is in his third year of draft eligibility. On the flip side, 28 points is pretty good for one of the most feared a reputable heavyweight enforcers in the WHL. The thing that intrigues me about potentially drafting Doty in the 7th round is his point production in December and January of this season. In December he put up 6 points in 8 games and in January he put up 12 points in 15 games. Now I am only able to infer this from reading the stats, but this seems to indicate that Doty has at least a bit of potential to become a regular contributor and possibly has the upside to not only be a heavyweight enforcer but also a solid 4th liner down the line.

Now my question to those who have watched Medicine Hat play this season is that, are these point totals merely coincidental or are they an accurate indication of Doty's potential upside? Does Doty have the upside to put up 50-70 points as an overager next season or were his point totals this season simply an anomaly?

Berserker*

After watching these playoffs its clear we need someone who can handle the puck and handle it in traffic. Spezza is only guy we have that can do it.

A goal scorer would be nice. I still think that Rychel could be one of the best options at our pick. He is pretty gritty and one of the best snipers in the draft.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He is a tough one to get a read on, and in the end, is probably more of a safe pick, rather than a potential boom pick.

On the plus side, he has a huge frame, skates well and really shows good agility for a a guy his size (and age). He doesn't actually look that big playing, partially because he moves so well and fluid. He had a great U18 and what really stood out there, was his defensive play and on the PK. He was disrupting the other team in his own zone constantly and started a bunch of rushes the other way. Some have compared him to Jordan Staal, although he doesn't seem to have Staal's one-on-one moves as a goal scorer (which is significant, given it is really one of Staal's hallmarks).

On the downside, it's two fold. First, he isn't really dynamic offensively as a center and isn't an elite goal scorer or playmaker. He is a good offensively in using his frame to shield the puck and his big stride to power up ice and in the corners, but as a centerman, I have trouble envisioning putting him on a line with a goal scorer and making his linesmates significantly better. I'd see him centering Chris Neil and Eric Condra types, more than likely. The other downside is, despite his size and strength, he is really not mean or that tough. I'm not sure he's ever had a fight in junior. He will use his size, but never with malice. It's also one of the reasons he doesn't seem that big out there. His player comparison range is probably somewhere between Hugh Jessiman (downside, although unlikely given his defensive play), Colin Greening (probable) and Martin Hanzel (upside).

When looking at the safe bets in the 1st round, I'd be much more inclined to go with Hartman, who throws bigger hits, fights, has a nasty edge, and has been just as productive as Gauthier, even more so, especially given his play at a higher level at the WJC (versus Gauthier playing well at the u18's against guys two years younger). Hartman's comparison probably ranges between Matt Cooke (low end), Raffi Torries (probable) or Ryan Callahan (Boom).

I was thinking that Gauthier could be for Ottawa what Couturier is for Philly, a defensively responsible 4th line centre with some offensive skill. He has the potential to move up through injuries or as he gets more experience & better offensively & gives us more size on the 4th line although I don`t think he is very tough. Then again maybe we already have a similar, if not better option in Derek Grant who led the AHL in short handed goals.

R2010

May 23, 2011

I think he is a safe pick for being a 3rd line center. Potential to be a great 2nd line center - don't see 1st line upside. The challenge is that he was a rookie this year - hard to judge his offensive upside and aggressiveness as a rookie late-bloomer. I think he is a safe pick with the potential for a big boom but he will develop a little slower (offensively) because of his late-entry into high level hockey. Considering how good our development team is and how good our coaching is - i'm not okay with passing on a 6'5 guy who can skate and is a two-way player and faceoff man (unless we have a chance at a top 10 faller). Give Gauthier two years with schwartz and you might be able to create a physical monster. He will never be aggressive and nasty like Lucic but that size and skating means he no matter what will cause fits for the opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad