Player Discussion The Nuge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
I'm not saying that RNH is a bust or needs to be traded - but this is his 6th year in the league and after a while you start accepting what a player is and drop the development angle. I was a firm believer that RNH never had top end offensive potential and actually wanted Larsson in his draft year. Even strength scoring has always been a weakness in both junior and the NHL - although it was covered up by crazy high PP production in his first year in the league. But the old mgmt group just gave him a $6 million deal after a good rookie season and tearing up his shoulder in year 2 when a bridge deal was far more sensible. That ill thought out deal is going to force him off the team sooner or later for cap reasons. The other issue is face-offs. He's 42% for his career and he absolutely sucks again (39%) at the start of this season. You would think for $6 million he would put in a bit of effort into improving this? His defensive game and possession numbers are also less than desired, and again, a #1 pick making $6 million should be doing better.

I like RNH but his incomplete game is driving his value into the gutter at that salary. I know people will say he's young and developing - but after 5 years you develop a record. The disappointing play of both RNH and Eberle over the past few seasons is the reason Hall got traded for a good defenseman since neither guy was getting you a top pair dman at this point. The turnover of this roster is not over and the entire Hall cluster is likely gone within another 18 months - what a fantastic waste of resources - and to think the guys who screwed up all those #1 OV picks are still hanging around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
He also is being played in a role where he shouldn't be counted on for top end production. Kassian and Pouliot are not top offensive players. Where he should be is in the 2nd line spot with Draisaitl on his wing. Ideally we'd acquire a 3C or Caggiula can fill that role when he comes back.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
If he can turn into a Patrice Bergeron type player by the time he's 25/26 which I think he can we're laughing. Might be exactly what we need.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If anything, you can view this as a positive for the team. They are winning games without much from the Nuge offensive, when he starts scoring, they will be in excellent shape.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's a 55 point player when he's getting all of the offensive gravy time and all of the first unit PP time while playing with the best offensive players on the team.

He'll be lucky to get 45 points now that he's getting second unit PP time and isn't getting carried by more gifted offensive players.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
He really needs to learn to get the puck through when he shoots. Right now he's the Sekera of forwards.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
blah blah blah. Feels to me like just another hater. Like seriously, "his incomplete game"? Who plays a more complete game on our team than RNH? Nobody! You just sons like a die hard Hall fanboy who's salty about the trade. Trying to take it out on the Nuge. Seriously, pls stop.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
Some people..I don't mean to bash him (but I am going to ) LOL.

Never change...we have center depth. Please move to the flames board

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Watched Nuge in Junior and still remember his solid rookie year.

Anyone who says that they never seen his elite offensive potential and thinks he had trouble 5v5 scoring is completely and utterly out to lunch.

Nuge was consistently double teamed in Junior and always found ways to be productive. Unreal passes and precision shooting. Solid two way guy that was CLEARLY the #1 BOP in his draft year IMO.

His best comparable then, and I still believe now is Pavel Datzyuk. Although its safe to say he will never reach Datz heights and there are some style differences there are things about his game that absolutely remind me of Datz still.

Like Datz he is a smaller center in a big NHL. He will need to get smarter and stronger before we will ever see him "dominate" against the tough competition that he will always be facing. Like Datz that will probably not happen until he is 25-28 and has more experience and man strength.

Having said all that I am a bit disappointed with him so far this season and was thinking this would be there year we start seeing a bit more offense from him. I would have guessed he would get 65 points this year at least with the line up we have. Still might I guess but it seems unlikely.

He is facing top competition. I am a big Pouliot fan but its not like he is playing with a clear #1 winger. I describe Pouliot as a solid top 9 winger and Kassian currently more a bottom 6 winger. I was hoping JP would really be NHL ready and provide more than he has shown but that is not looking to be the case.

In short I think everyone is a tiny bit disappointed with his offensive production, and even his defensive side of things and faceoffs still leave a bit to be desired as well. Overall tho he has still played well for his situation.

He is currently a bit overpaid as well and with many big contracts on the way he might well be a cap casualty, but I would also say he unequivocally makes our team much better.

Love that we are finally building down the center/goalie/defense instead of loading up on wingers and doubt we will be able to replace what he brings outside of a very lucky draft pick in the future.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Do you believe he hasn't been trending downwards? Or that he can win over half his faceoffs?

Funny that his lack of faceoff prowess makes him an incomplete player. I guess that makes Anton Lander a well-rounded player?

Can we put in big, bold letters for the few out there...THIS TEAM IS WORSE when Ryan Nugent-Hopkins does not play.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
blah blah blah. Feels to me like just another hater. Like seriously, "his incomplete game"? Who plays a more complete game on our team than RNH? Nobody! You just sons like a die hard Hall fanboy who's salty about the trade. Trying to take it out on the Nuge. Seriously, pls stop.

To be "complete" you have to score.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
To be "complete" you have to score.

Right. The guy has a slump for what, 6 games, and you're willing to say he won't score? To those of you who point to last season: he was on pace to score 18 goals and 51 points, which, while not outstanding, is nothing to sneeze at. Take out the injury factor and you've got a 60 point player. Stop whining.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I like what Babcock said about Crosby in Sochi.

Crosby's job isn't to score, it's to win.

As long as we're winning, and Nuge is a part of that, we need to stop whining. He might not be worth his salary, but who cares.

We're winning more matchups when he's on the ice. We're winning more games when he plays.

Replacing Nuge with another center who makes less won't necessarily lead us to more wins.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Not first overall pick quality, definitely not 6 million dollar good player. Wouldn't be surprised if he's shipped off for cap relief/picks or a defenseman. Crazy when you think about it how all the first overall picks before Connor might be gone.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Watched Nuge in Junior and still remember his solid rookie year.

Anyone who says that they never seen his elite offensive potential and thinks he had trouble 5v5 scoring is completely and utterly out to lunch.

Nuge was consistently double teamed in Junior and always found ways to be productive. Unreal passes and precision shooting. Solid two way guy that was CLEARLY the #1 BOP in his draft year IMO.

His best comparable then, and I still believe now is Pavel Datzyuk. Although its safe to say he will never reach Datz heights and there are some style differences there are things about his game that absolutely remind me of Datz still.

Like Datz he is a smaller center in a big NHL. He will need to get smarter and stronger before we will ever see him "dominate" against the tough competition that he will always be facing. Like Datz that will probably not happen until he is 25-28 and has more experience and man strength.

Having said all that I am a bit disappointed with him so far this season and was thinking this would be there year we start seeing a bit more offense from him. I would have guessed he would get 65 points this year at least with the line up we have. Still might I guess but it seems unlikely.

He is facing top competition. I am a big Pouliot fan but its not like he is playing with a clear #1 winger. I describe Pouliot as a solid top 9 winger and Kassian currently more a bottom 6 winger. I was hoping JP would really be NHL ready and provide more than he has shown but that is not looking to be the case.

In short I think everyone is a tiny bit disappointed with his offensive production, and even his defensive side of things and faceoffs still leave a bit to be desired as well. Overall tho he has still played well for his situation.

He is currently a bit overpaid as well and with many big contracts on the way he might well be a cap casualty, but I would also say he unequivocally makes our team much better.

Love that we are finally building down the center/goalie/defense instead of loading up on wingers and doubt we will be able to replace what he brings outside of a very lucky draft pick in the future.

Hes been in the league for 6 years, how much stronger is he going to get?

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Funny that his lack of faceoff prowess makes him an incomplete player. I guess that makes Anton Lander a well-rounded player?

Can we put in big, bold letters for the few out there...THIS TEAM IS WORSE when Ryan Nugent-Hopkins does not play.

Find me a quote where I said he was an incomplete player cause he can't win a faceoff.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I see some improvements in his game (strength and positioning) and some regression in his game (creativity falling mostly off a cliff, turning into Horcoff 2.0 except well below 50% on the dot).

IMO he needs to be better than he has been offensively and on draws. Beyond that he is helping us win games and it's just a matter of time until he starts adding some offense to the table.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
RNH is a top end PP option. He's top 15 amongst forwards from 2011 to present with almost 5.5 points/60. Names right above him consist of Pavelski, Zetterberg, Ovechkin.

5vs5 is a different story. His points/60 there lines up with players like Eakin, Bailey, Haula, and Cooke. He has also gotten the benefit of playing with Hall/Eberle who are both top 25 forwards at ES and Pouliot who is also usually in the top 60-70.

I like RNH as a player and he certainly doesn't hurt the team, but in 2 years the Oilers won't be able to afford McDavid, Drai, and RNH.

Seeing that his role has now been taken by McDavid on the first unit PP, and looking at his history of mediocre production at ES, we are indeed looking at a 35-50 point player on this Oilers team.

So when is the time to get value through trade? GM's are smart and really do look at usage and role so I'm not sure RNH having a 40 point season hurts his value all that much.

All I can say is the people defending him and believing he still has 50-60 point potential this year had better be prepared for disappointment. RNH still does have that offensive potential, just not on this Oilers team. For the record I think he is capable of putting up some 65+ point seasons on a team that can utilize him in his ideal role.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hes been in the league for 6 years, how much stronger is he going to get?

That depends on him. IMO it's time that he gets into another offseason program. Hes had his brother training him every step of the way and he has not shown big enough strides. I hate to say it but when you get paid like he did you have less motivation to change things up. IMO he's a good young man but he should be doing more than he is out there and IMO the biggest part for him is that he hasn't taken a big enough step physically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad