News Article: The NHL's 5 best forward lines so far

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
All the lines are from the western conference? Not so sure that would go over too well on the main board... :P

TopT

Jan 7, 2009
Georgetown, Caymans
Most teams in the NHL have played somewhere in the neighborhood of twenty games at this point. The samples remain relatively small, but the cream is beginning to rise.

The concentration of talent at the NHL level has been dispersed since the imposition of the salary cap at the beginning of the 2005-06 season. Nonetheless there are a handful of dynamite top-lines in the league at the moment.

The surplus of talented forward lines around the NHL makes the task of selecting the five best a near impossible one, and some gangbusters groups didn't qualify for the list that follows. Which just speaks to how many sick hockey players are plying their trade in the National Hockey League at the moment.

1. Anze Kopitar-Justin Williams-Dustin Brown, Los Angeles Kings

At times this season, Los Angeles' top line of Anze Kopitar, Dustin Brown and Justin Williams has been split up. It happened when forward Dwight King started the season playing left wing with Kopitar and Brown, for example.

But this trio, time and again, is ultimately reunited and for good reason: it`s the single best forward line in the NHL this season - and actually has been for a while.

The three members of L.A.'s dominant first line complement each other extraordinarily well. Brown brings a unique combination of speed and size. He plays a physical game on the wing, draws penalties and can finish on the rush or in the slot.

Kopitar is a stellar two-way center with a powerful shot who should probably eventually garner some Selke consideration. Williams, with his under-rated playmaking ability and staunch refusal to lose puck battles, is the glue guy.

Brown, Kopitar and Williams have skated together for nearly 200 minutes at even-strength so far this season. During those 200 minutes they've outscored opponents 6-1 while controlling north of 64% of all on-ice shot attempts. Those are ungodly numbers.

What makes this line's results even more frightening is that it has actually been unlucky in the offensive end (only Kopitar is above 6% in on-ice shooting percentage). So we might realistically expect their offensive production to tick up going forward. Scary thought, that.

I Am Ziggy Palffy

Sep 9, 2003
Speaks to the value of Kopitar. Humble star, doesn't make a lot of noise, gets the job done. He's the kind of guy winning teams are built around.

Sybil227

Jun 16, 2004
Santa Clarita
And the article doesn't even mention that our 2nd line, centered by Richards with either Carter or Toffoli on one wing, and King on the other is probably better than the 1st line on a lot of teams.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The Kopitar line has been the most dominant puck possession line in hockey going on three years now. Even when they're not scoring, they're destroying opposing teams in fenwick.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Great post. Not sure I agree with top ranking, but they have been great this year. The St. Louis trio is underrated on this IMO.

All that positivity, wiped out by the post under the article about Quick out at least one more month. ****!

http://beta.thescore.com/nhl/news/357713

They have been put at number 1 due to previous years work aswell. They were the best line last year, and the year before slotted in at about #3. So with a few lines being very good this year, they have been given the nod due to body of work (at least thats what I think)

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I agree they have been great for years, but the article seems based on this year (referring to 20 games so far this season, 200 minutes played so far this season, etc.) so based solely on this season alone, I like St. Louis' line the best in all honesty. I still think the Kopi line should be on this list, and up on it, but not sure I agree with 1st overall.

That said, really we are just debating how awesome this line is, so that alone should tell us that they are a fantastic line.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I like that summary. What a wrecking crew those three are. And imagine when Brown is at full health; we saw snapshots of it last night!

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Do you think that would be enough to get Jamie Benn?!

No, brown's terrible contract negates not only his value, but also that of Kopitar and the stock price of gold buillion. Dallas then laughs at Williams for Benn, demands we add Carter, but only if we eat 50% of his contract and a party sub from Subway.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Kopitar is a monster. The fact that he can make williams and brown a part of the top line in the nhl is ridiculous. His defensive play is so underrated. Most consistent backchecking forward in the nhl. Does it every single shift. Just always in the right position to get us out of trouble.

Kopitar so rarely loses a puck battle it truly is amazing watching a guy with his offensive ability so consistently bring it in every aspect of the game. Definition of a winner for me.

Year after year, game after game, shift after shift.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Kopitar is a monster. The fact that he can make williams and brown a part of the top line in the nhl is ridiculous. His defensive play is so underrated. Most consistent backchecking forward in the nhl. Does it every single shift. Just always in the right position to get us out of trouble.

Kopitar so rarely loses a puck battle it truly is amazing watching a guy with his offensive ability so consistently bring it in every aspect of the game. Definition of a winner for me.

Year after year, game after game, shift after shift.

Williams is actually pulling Kopitar up to his level. When apart from Williams, Kopitar has worse numbers. They are a perfect combo in that Williams is 1 of the very very best, if not the best, at getting the puck in the o-zone and keeping it there, he just needs help at getting it into the net, which is what Kopitar provides

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
Do you think that would be enough to get Jamie Benn?!

slow_clap.gif
WELL PLAYED SIR, BRAVO ! WELL PLAYED !
slow_clap.gif

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
J-Dub is the best puck possession Winger in the NHL right now on the RW, according to advanced stats.

Justin Williams is that good.

The J-Dub trade for Lombardi is a complete heist.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Most teams in the NHL have played somewhere in the neighborhood of twenty games at this point. The samples remain relatively small, but the cream is beginning to rise.

The concentration of talent at the NHL level has been dispersed since the imposition of the salary cap at the beginning of the 2005-06 season. Nonetheless there are a handful of dynamite top-lines in the league at the moment.

The surplus of talented forward lines around the NHL makes the task of selecting the five best a near impossible one, and some gangbusters groups didn't qualify for the list that follows. Which just speaks to how many sick hockey players are plying their trade in the National Hockey League at the moment.

1. Anze Kopitar-Justin Williams-Dustin Brown, Los Angeles Kings

At times this season, Los Angeles' top line of Anze Kopitar, Dustin Brown and Justin Williams has been split up. It happened when forward Dwight King started the season playing left wing with Kopitar and Brown, for example.

But this trio, time and again, is ultimately reunited and for good reason: it`s the single best forward line in the NHL this season - and actually has been for a while.

The three members of L.A.'s dominant first line complement each other extraordinarily well. Brown brings a unique combination of speed and size. He plays a physical game on the wing, draws penalties and can finish on the rush or in the slot.

Kopitar is a stellar two-way center with a powerful shot who should probably eventually garner some Selke consideration. Williams, with his under-rated playmaking ability and staunch refusal to lose puck battles, is the glue guy.

Brown, Kopitar and Williams have skated together for nearly 200 minutes at even-strength so far this season. During those 200 minutes they've outscored opponents 6-1 while controlling north of 64% of all on-ice shot attempts. Those are ungodly numbers.

What makes this line's results even more frightening is that it has actually been unlucky in the offensive end (only Kopitar is above 6% in on-ice shooting percentage). So we might realistically expect their offensive production to tick up going forward. Scary thought, that.

Thanks for this and all I can say is FINALLY! Someone else is seeing what we have known for some time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad